Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man that's awesome! I've yet to see one, and I'm betting the first EV truck I see will be the Hummer and not the R1T. You should see how many TRXs are in my area, and the Hummer is like the EV version of the TRX. Lotta bigish GM dealers near me, with large customer bases. Plus Rivian is delivering in extreme limited numbers to non employees. I'm hoping they come to my area sometime next year (for test drives and such).
This one could well have been an employee, but it did have an actual temp registration, not a manufacturer tag or anything.

Yeah, I believe it on both the TRX and Hummer for your area. I guess the Hummer is cool, I don’t know. I’m not really digging it. But then I look at it and it’s definitely not more over the top than the CT. But somehow it just seems to overdone.

I presume that it’s my own anti-GM bias (although I’v owned plenty of great GM vehicles), or anti-legacy manufacturer bias, coming through. I suspect I’m not the only one.

What I can’t figure out is why you can only order lesser-range, lesser-optioned variants of the Hummer and Lucid right now? And why does the Hummer SUV have less range and less power than the truck. Also the same for Rivian.

People are lined up to buy the top line, top range models of these vehicles right now and the companies are forcing them to order a category down. Why not just make us all wait like, ahem, some other companies? If we want the good one they should just make it when they can make it.

This one could well have been an employee, but it did have an actual temp registration, not a manufacturer tag or anything.

Yeah, I believe it on both the TRX and Hummer for your area. I guess the Hummer is cool, I don’t know. I’m not really digging it. But then I look at it and it’s definitely not more over the top than the CT. But somehow it just seems to overdone.

I presume that it’s my own anti-GM bias (although I’v owned plenty of great GM vehicles), or anti-legacy manufacturer bias, coming through. I suspect I’m not the only one.

What I can’t figure out is why you can only order lesser-range, lesser-optioned variants of the Hummer and Lucid right now? And why does there Hummer SUV have less range and less power than the truck. Also the same for Lucid.

People are lined up to buy the top line, top range models of these vehicles right now and the companies are forcing them to order a category down. Why not just make us all wait like, ahem, some other companies? If we want the good one they should just make it when they can make it.
Well 2 things on the Hummer: So the "Edition 1" is sold out, and is a limited reservation. However, the next trim down will come with the option to get the full power and range. That one hits in around a year. And the reason the SUV has less range is that it uses a 20 module pack versus the 24 of the pickup, due to its shorter wheelbase. Each module is around 8.5kWh, so roughly 170kWh. So there's less battery to draw power from, and also less range.
Yeah agreed it is excessive lol! I kinda love for the fact that it is a first for some EVs (first EV with a 200kWh pack, first to 350kW). However I would pick CT over all other EV trucks obviously lol.

Well 2 things on the Hummer: So the "Edition 1" is sold out, and is a limited reservation. However, the next trim down will come with the option to get the full power and range. That one hits in around a year. And the reason the SUV has less range is that it uses a 20 module pack versus the 24 of the pickup, due to its shorter wheelbase. Each module is around 8.5kWh, so roughly 170kWh. So there's less battery to draw power from, and also less range.
Yeah agreed it is excessive lol! I kinda love for the fact that it is a first for some EVs (first EV with a 200kWh pack, first to 350kW). However I would pick CT over all other EV trucks obviously lol.
Ah, I see…I didn’t realize the wheelbase was shorter on the SUV. That makes complete sense now.

Also I didn’t realize you could upgrade the next model-level down on the Hummer to have full power and range. ~350 miles is not exactly killer range for a 170 kWh pack though. I guess that’s what 8000+ pounds will do to range.

I did get to see the Hummer at SEMA. Definitely interesting and if I could get my hands on one, I grab it up. But yeah, I’d much rather have the CT too. I’d also take a Rivian…I find the styling to be very nice.

Ah, I see…I didn’t realize the wheelbase was shorter on the SUV. That makes complete sense now.

Also I didn’t realize you could upgrade the next model-level down on the Hummer to have full power and range. ~350 miles is not exactly killer range for a 170 kWh pack though. I guess that’s what 8000+ pounds will do to range.

I did get to see the Hummer at SEMA. Definitely interesting and if I could get my hands on one, I grab it up. But yeah, I’d much rather have the CT too. I’d also take a Rivian…I find the styling to be very nice.
Yeah if you go look at the reservation page, the "3x" comes with 830 hp and 300 miles range, but can be upgraded to 1000 and 350+. Yeah it's horrifically inefficient lol! MT got some manufacturer estimates for MPGe and they are....bad. Like 53 mpge city, 43 highway, and 47 combined. 700+wh/mile! 🤣
Ahhh classic American "LET'S THROW MORE BATTERIES AT IT!!" philosophy. That's why I kinda love it in a weird way lol.

Yeah if you go look at the reservation page, the "3x" comes with 830 hp and 300 miles range, but can be upgraded to 1000 and 350+. Yeah it's horrifically inefficient lol! MT got some manufacturer estimates for MPGe and they are....bad. Like 53 mpge city, 43 highway, and 47 combined. 700+wh/mile! 🤣
Ahhh classic American "LET'S THROW MORE BATTERIES AT IT!!" philosophy. That's why I kinda love it in a weird way lol.
LOL, 700 wh/mile…that’s awesome. 🤣

Well I’m glad the upgrade is there. It doesn’t make sense to me when they just remove it from availability. I think that’s how the Air is offered.

I’m really hoping there’s some crazy Tesla battery tech right around the corner. I put an order in on an X for October delivery in hopes there’s a battery upgrade (4680s) before then. It seems at the moment the other manufacturers are not that far behind in tech, but I don’t really believe that. It’s difficult to make up 10 years of technology in just a couple of years.

Looks great. Any pics of exactly how you mounted the flaps? I know others have drilled a hole into the fender and just checking if you did the same or another method.
the shop that did the ppf etc did the flaps. i didn’t see any screw holes in the fender. i have a close up of one flap. you may be able to see where they put the screws.

Well I’m glad the upgrade is there. It doesn’t make sense to me when they just remove it from availability. I think that’s how the Air is offered.

I’m really hoping there’s some crazy Tesla battery tech right around the corner. I put an order in on an X for October delivery in hopes there’s a battery upgrade (4680s) before then. It seems at the moment the other manufacturers are not that far behind in tech, but I don’t really believe that. It’s difficult to make up 10 years of technology in just a couple of years.
Ok well... I wouldn't count on S and X getting 4680s until maybe 2025. (Please don't kill me @Bill Price) These two posts I posted on the X thread go into quite well I think. I suggest reading them:

Regarding other car makers I think "seems at the moment" are the key words in your statement. I mean you could look at Lucid but right now they are low volume. So next I would say GM Ultium. But if you look at Ultium, it could have some issues. It's just not that dense. I did some rough math, and at least at Hummer scale, those batteries have roughly 120-130 wh/kg of density at pack level. That's a huge difference vs. something like Tesla, which in 2012 was doing around 150wh/kg. The current MS does 186wh/kg at pack level. And that is with 18650s!! So GM's brand new tech, although it's good, it's not great, and personally I think comparing it to Tesla's current tech is a little optimistic. So with 4680s that gap will widen even further! :)

Ok well... I wouldn't count on S and X getting 4680s until maybe 2025. (Please don't kill me @Bill Price) These two posts I posted on the X thread go into quite well I think. I suggest reading them:

Regarding other car makers I think "seems at the moment" are the key words in your statement. I mean you could look at Lucid but right now they are low volume. So next I would say GM Ultium. But if you look at Ultium, it could have some issues. It's just not that dense. I did some rough math, and at least at Hummer scale, those batteries have roughly 120-130 wh/kg of density at pack level. That's a huge difference vs. something like Tesla, which in 2012 was doing around 150wh/kg. The current MS does 186wh/kg at pack level. And that is with 18650s!! So GM's brand new tech, although it's good, it's not great, and personally I think comparing it to Tesla's current tech is a little optimistic. So with 4680s that gap will widen even further! :)
Ok, that’s exactly what I needed to hear to have sweet Elon dreams tonight.

Maybe the CT will be the answers to all my dreams…fast, goofy, efficient, and useful. I really, really, really hope it has killer range so that I can do trips like going down to Baja without range anxiety. That thing would blow minds down there, but it’s going to need wicked-good real world range to make it work.

Ok, that’s exactly what I needed to hear to have sweet Elon dreams tonight.

Maybe the CT will be the answers to all my dreams…fast, goofy, efficient, and useful. I really, really, really hope it has killer range so that I can do trips like going down to Baja without range anxiety. That thing would blow minds down there, but it’s going to need wicked-good real world range to make it work.
Yeah I think 450+ miles real world will likely be doable! Dude I was thinking about this the other day, and think about how INSANE the CT is going to look doing 100+ mph in baja! It will simultaneously coincide and disrupt nature! I am not an off-road guy at all, but I look forward to the footage lol!

052559D8-0AD7-4687-89E8-F4CCBD001B4D.gif

Carvana today offered me $10k less - WTF?
The Carvana algo is calibrated to adjust to their inventory, so if they're short on a specific model, they'll overpay by a lot. If they have enough, then their offers will be lower than other vendors. Carvana also owns the bank that they do their financing with, so they can afford to overpay and make the cost up in financing.

Funny, I think the opposite. Let’s agree (at least for this supposition) Tesla is 10 years tech ahead of everyone else. That tells me they’ll catch up in maybe 3 years. How long from iPhone or iPad to android and other competitors? (Or possibly reverse that order). Other manufacturers See what Tesla paid zillions for in R&D and can short. Jt their progress, or buy or license patents, etc.
imthink the Mach e has a lot of issues over dandy Monroe, but also did some really good stuff. Not sure they are 10 years behind.
my buddy’s polestar 2? I’d say only a few years behind, and possibly ahead in a few minor areas.
if not Tesla, i’d likely get a polestar 2
i think the other guys will catch up fast, maybe i. What they sell, if not how they build.
just my .02

Is there a coal roll option with fake smoke and diesel noise? That would be very popular I suspect.

The Carvana algo is calibrated to adjust to their inventory, so if they're short on a specific model, they'll overpay by a lot. If they have enough, then their offers will be lower than other vendors. Carvana also owns the bank that they do their financing with, so they can afford to overpay and make the cost up in financing.
Thank you, that was informative!