Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the question I have is, what makes you think they can catch up fairly quickly? They currently have the ability to tear down Teslas all they want. They can buy whatever one they want, reverse engineer whatever they can, and leapfrog their own development cycle.

Yet, they don't.

Not to mention, LTE connectivity is not something that should be an issue on any car. It's been around for years. What they're struggling with is the fragmented supplier chain trying to understand each other and make disparate systems work together. Whereas Tesla is vertically integrated, the systems do function with one another.

Or the MB that Autoweek drove...it seemed like a nightmare. Vehicles like that and Polestar are likely to push people away from EV adoption because they're a pain in the butt.

And this is just on the vehicle aspect. Nobody is even close when it comes to the Supercharger network. Not even in the realm. That's huge. I've considered a Taycan, drove the EQS, lived through a Bolt...and now every time I think of changing I stop in my tracks and just think of the SC network.

Tesla will have competition, there is no doubt. Their market share will erode, there's no alternative. But I'm not seeing the picture the same way you are in believing that the legacy manufacturers will catch up. I do not see any evidence it's happening.
Good points. What sometimes gets lost in the debate is that the comparison tends to be at the tangible end product. This major difference is often overlooked: Tesla developed a mobile computer and dressed it like a traditional car. It is a technology company that builds cars among other machinery whereas legacy automakers are still building cars the way they know best and integrating technology within.
Additionally most forget but apparently not Wall Street that Tesla is a conglomerate of Renewable energy companies. Hence the billion dollar valuation. Tesla Energy, Supercharger network, Tesla Solar (as opposed to energy which includes power plants) among others could all be stand alone billion dollar companies. Therefore to me all these other newer EV companies making just cars are overvalued. I could have bought Tesla stock at $12 for God's sake. I didn't of course (bangs head on wall).

I thought according to Elon, by end of the year. should have asked to define end, and year.
They will have access at some point, that is what Elon has said. And that increased vehicle charging volume will propel the scaling of the SC network.

And the other vehicle brands will have to pay more. So again I'd have to ask myself when I roll up in my Taycan or EQS or Polestar, why do I want to pay more here for a car that's slower and has less range? I think this will end up becoming a huge selling tool for Tesla.

I think the question I have is, what makes you think they can catch up fairly quickly? They currently have the ability to tear down Teslas all they want. They can buy whatever one they want, reverse engineer whatever they can, and leapfrog their own development cycle.

Yet, they don't.

Not to mention, LTE connectivity is not something that should be an issue on any car. It's been around for years. What they're struggling with is the fragmented supplier chain trying to understand each other and make disparate systems work together. Whereas Tesla is vertically integrated, the systems do function with one another.

Or the MB that Autoweek drove...it seemed like a nightmare. Vehicles like that and Polestar are likely to push people away from EV adoption because they're a pain in the butt.

And this is just on the vehicle aspect. Nobody is even close when it comes to the Supercharger network. Not even in the realm. That's huge. I've considered a Taycan, drove the EQS, lived through a Bolt...and now every time I think of changing I stop in my tracks and just think of the SC network.

Tesla will have competition, there is no doubt. Their market share will erode, there's no alternative. But I'm not seeing the picture the same way you are in believing that the legacy manufacturers will catch up. I do not see any evidence it's happening.
I'll agree with you regarding T's overall integration - they seem to control all or almost all aspects which has tremendous benefits. Also, they're not a car company, they're a tech company that also makes cars (okay, okay, i'm stretching).
If I can see what YOU'VE done, I think I can copy it (somehow, someway) faster and possibly easier than creating on my own.
as for the chargers, yeah, i'm with you, but the other chargers ARE starting to catch up, and again, Elon said he'd open up the supercharger network, so there goes that HUGE advantage.
I'll also say as a consumer, I thought wrong for years - I kept looking to see where the chargers were, and hoping they'd finally put some near my home. However, that is COMPLETELY wrong thinking. Unless I'm in an apartment complex where I can't charge, i don't need them near ME, I need them near where i'm GOING! *(yeah, everyone on this forum knows that, but I was having fear of range anxiety (still do a bit) and didn't consider that most charging is at home). that's on me.
So the supercharger question is - how much/often will folks need to supercharge their cars? My daily driver rarely goes far. I have taken an auxillary car to boston, and now I wish I could have an S, and drive it there...but if i was worried about range, I could swap with my wife (right now she has an ICE)
Either way, I think the other manufacturers are going to catch up quick. they may produce crap, have the government helping them out, and who knows, maybe some anti tesla laws (like ALL charges must allow inter compatibility and set pricing or whatever)
okay, done ranting :)
ps back for more. LTE - that polestar failing is unacceptable and shoudln't be happening or allowed. i think just really bad core design in the modules.
meanwhile, i think the mustang's OTA updates can brick the cars, the keys or phone entry can brick the car, etc. - again, really bad designs.

They will have access at some point, that is what Elon has said. And that increased vehicle charging volume will propel the scaling of the SC network.

And the other vehicle brands will have to pay more. So again I'd have to ask myself when I roll up in my Taycan or EQS or Polestar, why do I want to pay more here for a car that's slower and has less range? I think this will end up becoming a huge selling tool for Tesla.
Exactly. Think of when you see a Samsung phone at Walmart, vs. the proper Samsung at a phone store. Even though it has the same name, doesn’t mean it is the same underneath and it will be the same to use. There will be differences. It could actually be an indirect form of advertising for Tesla.

Exactly. Think of when you see a Samsung phone at Walmart, vs. the proper Samsung at a phone store. Even though it has the same name, doesn’t mean it is the same underneath and it will be the same to use. There will be differences. It could actually be an indirect form of advertising for Tesla.
Wait, you look at Samsungs? We are totally completely, thoroughly, misaligned then. 😆

It was just an example lol! But yeah I have one lol.🤣
I'm an Android phone in an iPhone household! Seriously, I'm the one who buys the phones for the wife, kids and staff - all iphones. My personal last 10 phones have been android - I was a beta with Motorola for some, but otherwise, all Galaxies (note or otherwise) - I think for ME they just work better.
I ordered 2 BMWs that I had factory built to handle the apple cradle (they didn't offer for samsung at that time) knowing i'd likely never have an iphone for me.
I will say, 1) I am rarely anywhere in my home without my iPad and 2) I have owned several android tablets, and for me they were all stinkers.
2) I have some drones (okay, quads) and you can do some integration much better with android than apple, though that is a rarity.
Okay, back to checking Tesla every 14.3 minutes to see if I have a VIN yet.
nervous energy.
and annoying that i can't plan a car sale, if i don't know when, and don't want to be stuck, like many have been.

I looked at the Polestar as well. I think it was their commercials I was seeing that actually made me interested in getting an Electric Vehicle. A lot of people at work drive a Tesla, but I honestly wasnt that interested. Looking into the Polestar made me do more research and of course I couldn't ignore all the advantages Tesla enjoys over the other options out there.

Considered the Lucid as well, but I couldn't get over the exterior and how much it looked like a Chevy Cruz or Malibu. For an expensive luxury car, it's decidedly budget on the outside. This is of course without seeing it in person.
I’ve seen the Lucid at NYC showroom. Definitely does not look budget, but unattractive nonetheless

I'll agree with you regarding T's overall integration - they seem to control all or almost all aspects which has tremendous benefits. Also, they're not a car company, they're a tech company that also makes cars (okay, okay, i'm stretching).
If I can see what YOU'VE done, I think I can copy it (somehow, someway) faster and possibly easier than creating on my own.
as for the chargers, yeah, i'm with you, but the other chargers ARE starting to catch up, and again, Elon said he'd open up the supercharger network, so there goes that HUGE advantage.
I'll also say as a consumer, I thought wrong for years - I kept looking to see where the chargers were, and hoping they'd finally put some near my home. However, that is COMPLETELY wrong thinking. Unless I'm in an apartment complex where I can't charge, i don't need them near ME, I need them near where i'm GOING! *(yeah, everyone on this forum knows that, but I was having fear of range anxiety (still do a bit) and didn't consider that most charging is at home). that's on me.
So the supercharger question is - how much/often will folks need to supercharge their cars? My daily driver rarely goes far. I have taken an auxillary car to boston, and now I wish I could have an S, and drive it there...but if i was worried about range, I could swap with my wife (right now she has an ICE)
Either way, I think the other manufacturers are going to catch up quick. they may produce crap, have the government helping them out, and who knows, maybe some anti tesla laws (like ALL charges must allow inter compatibility and set pricing or whatever)
okay, done ranting :)
ps back for more. LTE - that polestar failing is unacceptable and shoudln't be happening or allowed. i think just really bad core design in the modules.
meanwhile, i think the mustang's OTA updates can brick the cars, the keys or phone entry can brick the car, etc. - again, really bad designs.
I guess time will tell. It's interesting how we can view the same topic and have two completely varying, even opposite, perspectives. But that's what makes the world go 'round!

I'm actually considering a FSD road trip from here to NJ (I mention this because I see you're in central NJ and that's where my family is). It may take me way too long, but I think it could make an interesting video or content. If I could just get out of 10.4 Beta!

I guess time will tell. It's interesting how we can view the same topic and have two completely varying, even opposite, perspectives. But that's what makes the world go 'round!

I'm actually considering a FSD road trip from here to NJ (I mention this because I see you're in central NJ and that's where my family is). It may take me way too long, but I think it could make an interesting video or content. If I could just get out of 10.4 Beta!
“Soon”!

12/20/2021 - 10am - EDD January 29 - February 26.
1:11pm - Time to schedule your delivery! Called - yes your car is being washed right now - what day do you want to come this week?!
Well that was quite the turn of events!

So excited!! Drive home will be 400+ miles. I guess what a better way to break it in and get used to it!

2022 MSLR Black on Black on Black on Black.....21" no FSD.

I love the look of the new MS and I like how they just make small design changes similar to what Porsche does with the 911 design, but maybe if they'd changed it just a BIT more the guy would've noticed that there was a +1000hp car parked right next to the Polestar too, haha.
I agree with you on incremental design changes with the Model S... Porsche has been doing this for years and the cars hold their value.

They also make numerous running changes during the model year so that improvements can be made as soon as they are available.

PS - you can still see the original classic design language from 1964 in the current 911 series. ;)

1640026983102.png

Last edited:
I’d consider a Lucid if I knew the company would stay in business. I don’t think the Polestar is sold in many states. I looked at an EQS on Saturday. I don’t think the outside looks very attractive, and it was missing some features because of the chip shortage.
It's funny, there's a Lucid showroom less than a mile from my house and I'm yet to visit it. I'm interested in the car, it can't be any closer, I even own some of their stock. Yet I don't go. I guess I'm not really all that interested after all.

I made a service appointment yesterday for two big scratches in my Model S Plaid's windshield and just got an alert that someone replied to it and it literally just disappeared from my Tesla app. Has this happened to anyone? There is no way for me to find the service request anymore, its just gone
I had two long scratches to the inside of my windshield up high on the passenger side. I had it replaced but the replacement has a small ripple toward the middle that catches my peripheral vision. Service is willing to replace it again but they couldn't find a windshield in stock that they were confident in. They want to wait for another batch.

Welcome to NJ, but I have to tell you, I thought about moving to LA. And after being in LA, it was hard to come back!
Was just reading about 10.7 and imminent 10.8 - makes me want FSD again - though my neighbor who had it on 3 Teslas and said he won't do it again (and didn't on his Plaid) mentioned even if it is technically correct (and I don't think it is yet) it can't predict the driver's behavior of the other cars.
Now THAT would be something! :)

So, when the monkey taketh, it REALLY taketh. I spent about 30 minutes holding, and got an SA - my VIN was "revoked" - it wasn't even produced, and that VIN was either assigned to another car, or retired.
I'm supposedly in the next batch, whether it is coming off the line soon, etc. - supposedly they're still producing a bunch of them, and the prediction is I'll hear more first week of January, with a predicted delivery between 1st and 3rd week.
That doesn't take into account storms, etc.
I will say, I'm disappointed, yet this is what I wanted - I was out of the country for the dates they were shoving down my throat, and now I'll be here, and have time to get stuff together, including sell my existing car, versus listing it and telling folks, "buy it tomorrow, or January 3" which is kinda silly.
I'm hoping the weather holds up (no snow) so i can take updated photos or offer drives if necessary, and heck, ceramic coat my baby if it's ever born.
I doubt it, but who knows, maybe updated tail lights?
still disappointed, but also relieved. my false alarm got me into readiness. The SA did apologize there was no call or notice about pulling my VIN, but that's Tesla!