Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, when the monkey taketh, it REALLY taketh. I spent about 30 minutes holding, and got an SA - my VIN was "revoked" - it wasn't even produced, and that VIN was either assigned to another car, or retired.
I'm supposedly in the next batch, whether it is coming off the line soon, etc. - supposedly they're still producing a bunch of them, and the prediction is I'll hear more first week of January, with a predicted delivery between 1st and 3rd week.
That doesn't take into account storms, etc.
I will say, I'm disappointed, yet this is what I wanted - I was out of the country for the dates they were shoving down my throat, and now I'll be here, and have time to get stuff together, including sell my existing car, versus listing it and telling folks, "buy it tomorrow, or January 3" which is kinda silly.
I'm hoping the weather holds up (no snow) so i can take updated photos or offer drives if necessary, and heck, ceramic coat my baby if it's ever born.
I doubt it, but who knows, maybe updated tail lights?
still disappointed, but also relieved. my false alarm got me into readiness. The SA did apologize there was no call or notice about pulling my VIN, but that's Tesla!
At least they provided you with info on when to expect the car. I'm always provided with vague BS like we'll reach out when you have a VIN assigned and nothing further.

Pickup is schedule for Wednesday! Here is the timeline:
12/17: car built
12/19: car shows up in inventory & I order it
12/20: loan approved, delivery scheduled
12/22: fingers crossed we have a good one!
Expect the best, but be prepared for the less than optimum delivery. Bring a second and a checklist...make them open the car...

Expect the best, but be prepared for the less than optimum delivery. Bring a second and a checklist...make them open the car...
Yep, I will be printing the checklist and have one of my car buddies joining me to be a second set of eyes. I will probably be starry eyed, he will be objective. My first MS was in the shop a lot for little stuff like paint defects but they were always really good about fixing everything. Hopefully this one won't need anything or at least they won't put up a fight.

So, when the monkey taketh, it REALLY taketh. I spent about 30 minutes holding, and got an SA - my VIN was "revoked" - it wasn't even produced, and that VIN was either assigned to another car, or retired.
I'm supposedly in the next batch, whether it is coming off the line soon, etc. - supposedly they're still producing a bunch of them, and the prediction is I'll hear more first week of January, with a predicted delivery between 1st and 3rd week.
That doesn't take into account storms, etc.
I will say, I'm disappointed, yet this is what I wanted - I was out of the country for the dates they were shoving down my throat, and now I'll be here, and have time to get stuff together, including sell my existing car, versus listing it and telling folks, "buy it tomorrow, or January 3" which is kinda silly.
I'm hoping the weather holds up (no snow) so i can take updated photos or offer drives if necessary, and heck, ceramic coat my baby if it's ever born.
I doubt it, but who knows, maybe updated tail lights?
still disappointed, but also relieved. my false alarm got me into readiness. The SA did apologize there was no call or notice about pulling my VIN, but that's Tesla!
Wow that’s rough. Sorry to hear that. Maybe try to negotiate a Plaid at grandfathered pricing for delivery by year end.

Wow that’s rough. Sorry to hear that. Maybe try to negotiate a Plaid at grandfathered pricing for delivery by year end.
I tried to go down that path, and the SA told me to just wait at least a few more days to see if I would be getting a VIN. I thought it was interesting they were trying to talk me off the ledge of upgrading. But they did say any inventory order would be at current pricing, no reduction.

Happy holidays everyone. I’m not sure if this is cool but I wanted to put it out there. About 6 months ago I bought my first EV, a Plaid. Being quite apprehensive about the learning curve of owning a Spaceship with 4 wheels, I joined this forum. Needless to say it has been a learning and sometimes (actually most of the time) humorous experience. Even after owning the car for many months I continue to follow and learn so much for everyone here. I continue to be amazed at not only the input of all of you but the TMC structure and firmware/software as well. I know to most of you it’s probably fairly basic stuff but I really think TMC does an amazing job. And they continue to update. Anyway a few months ago out of appreciation of TMC and all of you I decided to become a “Supporting Member”. I forget what I volunteered to pay but it wasn’t much. I don’t want to sound like this is a ‘fundraising“ thing for TMC because I have absolutely no connection with them other than being a member. So, as the year comes to a close I thought it would be cool to suggest we all support the TMC with more than just our knowledge and incredible wit. 😁

At least they provided you with info on when to expect the car. I'm always provided with vague BS like we'll reach out when you have a VIN assigned and nothing further.
I hear ya, and share your pain. My wife's Y just jumped from 2/28-3/28 to July. "July" they didn't say which year. That actually works out fine; and if we get it and she doesn't like it, I'll possibly flip it and make a few bucks. I hope she likes it!
Meanwhile, I think I'll have my S, a few weeks after expected.
I'll just change the ceramic reservation, and steak dinner with my buddy (he let me drive his PS2, he has to drive my S and realize what a mistake he made :) ) - and unlike anyone else I let try, I'll put it right on insane for him (as long as there are no cars too close).

Happy holidays everyone. I’m not sure if this is cool but I wanted to put it out there. About 6 months ago I bought my first EV, a Plaid. Being quite apprehensive about the learning curve of owning a Spaceship with 4 wheels, I joined this forum. Needless to say it has been a learning and sometimes (actually most of the time) humorous experience. Even after owning the car for many months I continue to follow and learn so much for everyone here. I continue to be amazed at not only the input of all of you but the TMC structure and firmware/software as well. I know to most of you it’s probably fairly basic stuff but I really think TMC does an amazing job. And they continue to update. Anyway a few months ago out of appreciation of TMC and all of you I decided to become a “Supporting Member”. I forget what I volunteered to pay but it wasn’t much. I don’t want to sound like this is a ‘fundraising“ thing for TMC because I have absolutely no connection with them other than being a member. So, as the year comes to a close I thought it would be cool to suggest we all support the TMC with more than just our knowledge and incredible wit. 😁
GREAT idea! I've gotten a LOT out of TMC - the therapy alone is worth 10s of dollars :)
I anticipate eventually getting a car (it can happen!) and then I'll likely migrate from the "what do you think when the car comes" to "how do we do" in other subforums, but either way, this is a pretty amazing place to learn and max out about your car, make decisions on features and purchases, and "meet" some great folks.
Worth supporting! :)

Yep, I will be printing the checklist and have one of my car buddies joining me to be a second set of eyes. I will probably be starry eyed, he will be objective. My first MS was in the shop a lot for little stuff like paint defects but they were always really good about fixing everything. Hopefully this one won't need anything or at least they won't put up a fight.
I think bringing a "referee" is a smart move - you (or certainly I) may gloss over stuff, "good enough, good enough, let me drive it already" - and then 2 months later you (okay, me) could be whining, "why oh why did I take that nightmare with the cracked windshield, gouges all over it, missing a wheel, and blood stains?"
I really think the folks who have rejected delivery in favor of a "better one" are cut from a different cloth - I would likely have NO impulse control.
I want to say it is a logical decision, but NOTHING about an S is logical. You can justify it, "cheaper than Taycan, better performance" but there is not very much the S can give us over say, a 3 - yes, larger, more power, etc. but both can get us from A to B.
So, an S, or more so, a Plaid is more of an emotional purchase.
Some say we only go around once, so enjoy - and that's fine.
With someone to keep you on point (unlike my posts) you should have greater confidence that you'll take a great car, or reject a lousy one, on your terms!