Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glass half full view Full PPF, annual Ceramic application, $$$$ plus time invested did you Really get more for the car in the end game? I suspect break even at best.
There's basically no way to slice it and come out ahead from a pure financial perspective. From an owner's satisfaction point of view, having clean paint for years is nice.

Just got a call from Tesla to come test drive the car even though I ordered it already. I asked him if the 2024 MSLR now has the horn in middle and he proceeded to tell me they only have the button. Also asked if there are any delays now and he said no if anything I may get the car earlier but no delays LOL. Do they not communicate internally ?
Interesting, SA just responded to me that they are expecting Early March to begin deliveries again. Apparently it is a mess internally.

I can confirm that in general, Tesla employees don't even know their own process... I sent a text in the app asking if there is anything holding up my VIN assignment that I can fix... first they said no, then they said I didn't do my registration (which I did almost a month ago)... they then said never mind, you did do it, but your insurance has not been submitted. Then they said oh wait, you don't have a VIN yet, so you wouldn't be able to submit insurance.

Overall just a cluster. I've never seen this kind of ignorance. Doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies in terms of other key processes.

Glass half full view Full PPF, annual Ceramic application, $$$$ plus time invested did you Really get more for the car in the end game? I suspect break even at best.

Yes. I got about $15K more than comps. I was beyond ecstatic. However, it wasn't just the exterior. The interior had zero flaws except for slight wrinkling on the outside bottom seat bolster. The car looked almost like it did at delivery.

Since the discontinuation of direct to consumer Opticoat, I've been using this ceramic coat:

$37 plus about an hour of my time to apply. Lasts a little over a year (yes there are some that can last two). Subsequent re-applications done without paint correction and just a wash with dawn and a quick 30 minute clay. This includes fixing the half dozen high spots after application.

The time I spent not applying waxes or other coatings when detailing saved me a huge amount of time over 7 years. Along with washing technique, it's also one of the factors that allowed me to avoid swirls.

The PPF full front was done after delivery and was in good shape after 7 years. It saved me more than a dozen times. Well worth the $1295 I paid (same installer is now about $1700 although that is the repeat customer discount).

As far as glass half full, I think I got a full glass worth of payment :)

Last edited:
Just wrote this message to the Tesla rep in the app...

"Hello, wanted to touch base to see if my vehicle is still being produced. Hoping to get some information on vin assignment if you have it. Also wanted to share my estimated delivery dates so far ... And I guess they will probably continue to get pushed up.

Dec23
Dec 24
Jan 5
Jan 28
Feb 1
Feb 6
Feb 16
Feb 22.. Today

This has been a nightmare experience with Tesla to say the least

This was their response, not expecting it to go anywhere positive

"Hello, wanted to touch base to see if my vehicle is still being produced. Hoping to get some information on vin assignment if you have it. Also wanted to share my estimated delivery dates so far ... And I guess they will probably continue to get pushed up.

Dec23
Dec 24
Jan 5
Jan 28
Feb 1
Feb 6
Feb 16
Feb 22.. Today

Dec23
Dec 24
Jan 5
Jan 28
Feb 1
Feb 6
Feb 16
Feb 22.. Today

View attachment 1020946
Now trying to see if they have a pulse

Screenshot_20240223-171056.png

The beginning of my EDD window has passed. I'm expecting another push back of that. Still no VIN.

It looks like at least 3 of us are waiting for a LR UR in central TX.

Is yours showing 2/23 - 3/15? That is mine, but I am waiting for a Plaid ultra red. My original EDD was 2/16-3/22 so it did tighten a bit, but still no vin. the only Ultra red Model S I have seen in Texas was sitting in Dallas last week and already got snatched up. I feel like Texas is due for several.

Yes. I got about $15K more than comps. I was beyond ecstatic. However, it wasn't just the exterior. The interior had zero flaws except for slight wrinkling on the outside bottom seat bolster. The car looked almost like it did at delivery.

Since the discontinuation of direct to consumer Opticoat, I've been using this ceramic coat:

$37 plus about an hour of my time to apply. Lasts a little over a year (yes there are some that can last two). Subsequent re-applications done without paint correction and just a wash with dawn and a quick 30 minute clay. This includes fixing the half dozen high spots after application.

The time I spent not applying waxes or other coatings when detailing saved me a huge amount of time over 7 years. Along with washing technique, it's also one of the factors that allowed me to avoid swirls.

The PPF full front was done after delivery and was in good shape after 7 years. It saved me more than a dozen times. Well worth the $1295 I paid (same installer is now about $1700 although that is the repeat customer discount).

As far as glass half full, I think I got a full glass worth of payment :)

Forgot to mention one step (since I was trying to be brief)...a quick IPA wipe off the paint prior to the ceramic coat, but NOT IPA on the PPF when re-applying new ceramic.

I can confirm that in general, Tesla employees don't even know their own process... I sent a text in the app asking if there is anything holding up my VIN assignment that I can fix... first they said no, then they said I didn't do my registration (which I did almost a month ago)... they then said never mind, you did do it, but your insurance has not been submitted. Then they said oh wait, you don't have a VIN yet, so you wouldn't be able to submit insurance.

Overall just a cluster. I've never seen this kind of ignorance. Doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies in terms of other key processes.
If this is the way you feel, which I can fully relate to, you really won't like service...any delivery defects, you must reject.

Reactions: zoomer0056
If this is the way you feel, which I can fully relate to, you really won't like service...any delivery defects, you must reject.
You bring up a good point and I have pondered myself if Tesla is for me. My profession is literally to find excessive risk in processes and stress test, so you can imagine what I was thinking when it felt like a horribly coded AI was giving me bad info.

That said, the bargain of the Plaid for its performance is not something I can pass. That, and I am also a bit of an Elon fanboy.

Looking for advice - should I:

1. Purchase a August 2023 demo Model S LR (is quality more known for demos because service has worked out any issues?)
2. Buy a 2024 Model S LR and hope the EPA issues clear in time to transfer FSD by the end of March
3. Pony up for a 2024 Model S Plaid (are there more reliability concerns with Plaid?)

Range is valuable to me because I live in a cold climate and have a long commute. I also value quality / no problems.

I have a 2018 Model S 100D that I LOVE.

Thank you for your thoughts!

1. Purchase a August 2023 demo Model S LR (is quality more known for demos because service has worked out any issues?)
2. Buy a 2024 Model S LR and hope the EPA issues clear in time to transfer FSD by the end of March
3. Pony up for a 2024 Model S Plaid (are there more reliability concerns with Plaid?)

Range is valuable to me because I live in a cold climate and have a long commute. I also value quality / no problems.

If the center horn isn't important, and you can get your hands on, look at, and drive the 2023 and you're happy with it, I'd probably go that route. The only downside is they're not discounting them yet.

You could also take a wait and see and hope/assume that at some point they will discount the '23 MSLRs. My suspicion is that the discount they had vanished because they know that if you want a new MSLR right now, you have no choice but to buy an inventory '23. I think when the EPA hold thing is done, you'll see deeper discounts on the '23s and they will be more discounted than the 3% they were in January.

If the center horn isn't important, and you can get your hands on, look at, and drive the 2023 and you're happy with it, I'd probably go that route. The only downside is they're not discounting them yet.

You could also take a wait and see and hope/assume that at some point they will discount the '23 MSLRs. My suspicion is that the discount they had vanished because they know that if you want a new MSLR right now, you have no choice but to buy an inventory '23. I think when the EPA hold thing is done, you'll see deeper discounts on the '23s and they will be more discounted than the 3% they were in January.
My preference would be for a 2024 long range, but there is uncertainty with the EPA and I’d like to transfer the FSD.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
My preference would be for a 2024 long range, but there is uncertainty with the EPA and I’d like to transfer the FSD.

Just as long as you place the order before the deadline and don't refuse a car they have ready for you. I don't think anyone here will lose their transfers if the can't take delivery until early April because the cars couldn't be released.

You could also just buy an inventory MSP now. They're not on hold.

Reactions: Flypony53

Just as long as you place the order before the deadline and don't refuse a car they have ready for you. I don't think anyone here will lose their transfers if the can't take delivery until early April because the cars couldn't be released.

You could also just buy an inventory MSP now. They're not on hold.
Agreed. If you really want an MSLR, I see no downside to ordering and waiting it out. Tesla wants to sell MSLR's, too, obviously and inventory has been building. It will get resolved.

Is yours showing 2/23 - 3/15? That is mine, but I am waiting for a Plaid ultra red. My original EDD was 2/16-3/22 so it did tighten a bit, but still no vin. the only Ultra red Model S I have seen in Texas was sitting in Dallas last week and already got snatched up. I feel like Texas is due for several.
After I posted, the start of my window moved one day. Now 2/23 to 3/14. I'm not going to bother to update my signature yet.
No VIN and no SL UR / 19" wheels in Texas inventory that I can see.

#2 - Visit and order the 2024 MSLR from a showroom so there’s a real human to deal with and fill out the doc for FSD transfer ASAP. IMHO they’ll honor the FSD transfer as long as the EDD is still listed as Feb/March. $12k ain’t pocket change. Once it changes to April the deal is off.