Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S demand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talked to a salesman in the Seattle showroom today. He says Model S demand as of late has been off the hook. He thinks the entire first year of production (at least) will be backordered by the end of next year.

Also got a ride in the Roadster. Holy crap, it's even better than I imagined.

Talked to a salesman in the Seattle showroom today. He says Model S demand as of late has been off the hook. He thinks the entire first year of production (at least) will be backordered by the end of next year.

Also got a ride in the Roadster. Holy crap, it's even better than I imagined.

I think they have 2k+ reservations for the model S but I dont think that really tells the story of the real demand.

I am the type of person who NEVER buys a new car. I just think its a waste of money because the second you drive it off the lot it immediately depreciates in value BUT Im willing to make an exception for the Tesla Model S.

I think Tesla motors will completely change the auto industry and I want to be involved with it. I see all the large automakers putting out their Volt and Leaf and just laugh because they cant hold a candle to Tesla's specs.

BTW how is the sales experience at a dealership? Are the guys pretty laid back and helpful or is it similar to a traditional dealership?

I've seen production numbers on this forum which indicate that Model S sales must be over 3k. This does not include the sale of a 1000 Model S to Iceland which I have seen in an article, but haven't seen on the Tesla website. I am pretty sure it would be worth a press release if this was a final sale.

The sales experience is totally different from a typical auto dealer. Troy at the Seattle store has been a real pleasure to work with, as has everyone else I've dealt with at Tesla.

The first thing that totally surprised me was when the e-mail setting up a test drive suggested that they were going to just give me the keys to a $150k car and let me take it out by myself for pretty much as long as I wanted for a test drive. This was not your usual 5-10 minute test drive with a sales person talking your ear off. Troy gave me an overview of the car and sent me on my way after he got the requisite paperwork. I was probably out for almost an hour, and would have gone farther but I had work to get back to.

After that, we exchanged a number of emails with questions as they came up, working out options etc before I finally placed the order. Since then I've dropped in a few times as I walk past (my office is 2 blocks from the Seattle Tesla store, so I often walk by at lunch time). If they aren't busy taking care of other customers, it feels like I could just hang out there as long as I wanted talking Tesla's/EV's/etc.

Maybe it's just good salesmanship, but it certainly seems like they actually want to get to know me, and build a long term relationship. I never felt pressured into anything, although I knew Troy wanted to get a deposit in and get the order process moving forward well before I was ready to commit.

...Jason
(December & my Roadster can't come soon enough....)

The sales experience is totally different from a typical auto dealer... This was not your usual 5-10 minute test drive with a sales person talking your ear off.

I mentioned this in another thread, but Tesla uses Jedi Mind Tricks, they don't have to do the hard sell.

Salesman: <waves hand> "This is the car you've been looking for."
Buyer: "This is the car I've been looking for."
Salesman: "You'll need to put down a deposit."
Buyer: "I need to put down a deposit."

Anyone? Sound familiar? That's how my test drive went.

I'm pretty sure S reservations are well over 3000 now. And I'm not sure about the finality of the Iceland deal, but if that comes through that puts them over 4,000. Speed will pick up in about 6 months when Troy thinks the prototypes will be out and about.

While I went in only with the intention to look around and talk, they weren't pushy at all. Just seemed genuinely excited about EVs and Tesla...they seemed to have a lot of pride in the company.

Not having any intentions to purchase when I visited, I can't really answer to the true sales side. But I thought it was nice of them to offer me a Roadster ride even though I already mentioned that I had an S reservation and couldn't afford a Roadster (that is, the wife wouldn't let me get one :).

Salesman: <waves hand> "This is the car you've been looking for."
Buyer: "This is the car I've been looking for."
Salesman: "You'll need to put down a deposit."
Buyer: "I need to put down a deposit."
Anyone? Sound familiar?

Sorry to go OT, but that reminded me of something funny I saw a long time ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1Q7gIEZKD0

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure it's over 4,000 Todd (if the Iceland deal is bona fide)...Canada has separate reservation numbers...Are Europe's numbers are separate as well?...these need to be added to the totals.

I agree with Troy...I think demand will go viral once the Model S store cars are delivered and folks can actually see & touch the "finished" product.

I'm pretty sure S reservations are well over 3000 now. And I'm not sure about the finality of the Iceland deal, but if that comes through that puts them over 4,000. Speed will pick up in about 6 months when Troy thinks the prototypes will be out and about.

While I went in only with the intention to look around and talk, they weren't pushy at all. Just seemed genuinely excited about EVs and Tesla...they seemed to have a lot of pride in the company.

Not having any intentions to purchase when I visited, I can't really answer to the true sales side. But I thought it was nice of them to offer me a Roadster ride even though I already mentioned that I had an S reservation and couldn't afford a Roadster (that is, the wife wouldn't let me get one :).

I've been a Model S reservation holder for two months now, and got several emails offering me to test drive the Roadster here in Orange County, California. I intend to bring my wife along and take them up on that offer. I loved hearing from your posts that the test drive experience was so enjoyable.

As to the "store" version of the Model S, I can't wait to see and touch it. I'm sure everyone here already knows this (this is my first post), but I think that a Tesla rep told me that they would be setting up private test drives of the store prototypes for current Model S reservation holders.

Unfortunately, they also told me that the Model S will not be showcased at the Los Angeles auto show this November, which was a disappointment.

Unfortunately, they also told me that the Model S will not be showcased at the Los Angeles auto show this November, which was a disappointment.

The new RAV4 EV is supposed to be there. Probably at the Toyota booth. I'ts tough to imagine a Roadster without the S there assuming Tesla has a (expensive) booth there. Here's a guess. Maybe they don't need to show it around any more as they now have the money they need to build it. If they show it now, everyone will just demand to know when it's coming out!

Welcome!

Last numbers I saw was p2451, p69 (Canada) and P332 (Europe). These numbers are from about September 25th and are without s and r numbers so they're well over 3000 by now I guess.

As far as I know Tesla doesn't change/bump anyone's number if previous ones cancel. If you have P20 and P15-19 cancel you are still "P20" according to Tesla. I am not sure how the VIN will work out with that situation, however.

On a side note, if P1 is supposed to be the first serial number for Model S, how are the Signature Series going to be issued VINs? The signature series are supposed to be delivered before Reservation or Public cars, IIRC.