Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Front Sunscreen / Sun shade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Haven't seen this discussed much. At work, I have an outdoor parking lot. It gets pretty hot here. Probably a good idea to get a sun shade for the front window. Anyone have any suggestions?

Seems like a perfect item for Tesla Merchandise to sell, but all they have are golf balls and alpaca scarves.

Haven't seen this discussed much. At work, I have an outdoor parking lot. It gets pretty hot here. Probably a good idea to get a sun shade for the front window. Anyone have any suggestions?

Seems like a perfect item for Tesla Merchandise to sell, but all they have are golf balls and alpaca scarves.
Taking my MS to a local tint shop tomorrow morning. They are installing a clear heat/UV film on the windshield. Will let you know how it works after I pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

I have Photosync 75 on the windshield. Supposed to provide 50% heat reduction and 20% glare reduction. The glare reduction is absolutely noticeable.

Unfortunately the windshield glass itself shows premature micropitting that was noticeable in month 1 of ownership. I should have had the glass replaced before tinting it. The tint was not cheap.

Anyway, in addition, I have a collapsible sunshade for which the Model S was listed as a supported model on the packaging. I use it whenever I leave the car. At night it makes it that much harder to see inside the car. It was about $9 at Costco.

I use the Heatshield roll-up shade that swgdan linked to in post #2. It does help reduce the interior temperature when the car is parked in the sun on a hot day (although the difference between, say, 102º and 110º might not be terribly noticeable when you get into the car, so the ability to pre-cool the car with the app is much more handy.) The Heatshield is completely opaque and protects the dash from direct sunlight, hopefully postponing any fading or cracks. It's definitely more awkward to roll up and put away than a folding or spring-loaded shade would be, but it's well made.

I got Air80 tint installed and I really don't see the need for the sun shade. I was in Palm Desert last week and the windshield tint was awesome to have. You cannot notice it is even there. Like others have said, it isn't cheap, but then again neither is a Model S.

I use the Heatshield roll-up shade that swgdan linked to in post #2. It does help reduce the interior temperature when the car is parked in the sun on a hot day (although the difference between, say, 102º and 110º might not be terribly noticeable when you get into the car, so the ability to pre-cool the car with the app is much more handy.) The Heatshield is completely opaque and protects the dash from direct sunlight, hopefully postponing any fading or cracks. It's definitely more awkward to roll up and put away than a folding or spring-loaded shade would be, but it's well made.
I've used Heatshields, and they fit very well, but don't last very long because, as they have no stiffeners, they sag. I ended up keeping boxes in the car to push the Heatshield close to the windshield. Now I just use the squares from Scotty's Pilot shop, and set the sunroof at 15-20% (with the sunscreens) and call it a day.

I've used Heatshields, and they fit very well, but don't last very long because, as they have no stiffeners, they sag. I ended up keeping boxes in the car to push the Heatshield close to the windshield. Now I just use the squares from Scotty's Pilot shop, and set the sunroof at 15-20% (with the sunscreens) and call it a day.
Hmm. Mine is a year old and still seems usable. It's not as stiff as it was brand new, but it doesn't sag noticeably (yet).

I didn't find any "Scotty's Pilot shop" but you probably meant Sporty's? These look like they might be useful:
Visors, Aircraft

Hmm. Mine is a year old and still seems usable. It's not as stiff as it was brand new, but it doesn't sag noticeably (yet).

I didn't find any "Scotty's Pilot shop" but you probably meant Sporty's? These look like they might be useful:
Visors, Aircraft
Sporty's is correct. Sorry about that.

If the Heatshields had stiffeners they would last the life of the car, or at least five or six years without help.

I've used the Ultimate Reflector available through California Car Cover on my past 3 cars. I don't see a Tesla application but that's probably just a phone call to get them started on making one (I believe they are all made to order). The good: it's rigid and sun visors hold it in place. Best sunshade I've every owned (better be for $60!). If you flip it over and install in backwards it'll trap heat in the car (not so useful in SoCal, but might be a selling point for you northerners who park your car outside on cold days). Long term they hold up beautifully! Well made product. The bad: it's 36" x 6"or thereabouts folded and stowing it is a PITA.

I just did a little searching and Intro-Tech Automotive is the maker of Ultimate Reflector.

I've used the Ultimate Reflector available through California Car Cover on my past 3 cars. I don't see a Tesla application but that's probably just a phone call to get them started on making one (I believe they are all made to order). The good: it's rigid and sun visors hold it in place. Best sunshade I've every owned (better be for $60!). If you flip it over and install in backwards it'll trap heat in the car (not so useful in SoCal, but might be a selling point for you northerners who park your car outside on cold days). Long term they hold up beautifully! Well made product. The bad: it's 36" x 6"or thereabouts folded and stowing it is a PITA.

I just did a little searching and Intro-Tech Automotive is the maker of Ultimate Reflector.

The part number for the Intro-Tech Ultimate Reflector is TE-01-R (Model S). Intro-Tech suggested ordering from www.automotivestyle.com which takes you to an eBay store. They are not allowed to advertise the Ultimate Reflector on eBay so you will have to send them a message. Cost was $49.95 delivered. They also have the lower priced Intro-Tech Premium Sunshade and the roll-up Auto Shade.