Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Be sure you press and hold the button until the port turns white, then pull. If you're doing that and you're still getting orange or red, it's probably a bad connection between the handle and the car.

And a fun easter egg if you haven't found it on another thread: With the cable inserted and the car unlocked, press the handle button 10 times and see what happens...

Reactions: hiroshiy
Be sure you press and hold the button until the port turns white, then pull. If you're doing that and you're still getting orange or red, it's probably a bad connection between the handle and the car.

And a fun easter egg if you haven't found it on another thread: With the cable inserted and the car unlocked, press the handle button 10 times and see what happens...

Ding ding ding! Held the button as I was removing this morning and that did the trick, port remained white. Thanks for the heads up.

Will try the 10x button press next...curious to see what happens.

Thanks!

Reactions: hiroshiy
I"ve noticed in one of the Canadian threads a couple of people who have obtained quotes from Tesla recommended electricians who have in turn seemed to suggest that "Tesla requires special wiring and procedures which drives up the price". Another one referred to a "Tesla specified installation". I'm not sure yet whether the prices were inordinately higher (my installation was part of a bigger job) though the owners in question are getting second estimates from non-recommended electricians so I guess we'll see. My understanding is that any electrician who install correctly according to code should be fine. The Tesla recommendation is (AFAIK) mostly so owners don't have to go searching for an electrician who knows something about these chargers.
Are there any special Tesla standards or procedures? Is it worth paying more money for an electrician who knows these procedures or are these recommended electricians taking advantage?

I"ve noticed in one of the Canadian threads a couple of people who have obtained quotes from Tesla recommended electricians who have in turn seemed to suggest that "Tesla requires special wiring and procedures which drives up the price". Another one referred to a "Tesla specified installation". I'm not sure yet whether the prices were inordinately higher (my installation was part of a bigger job) though the owners in question are getting second estimates from non-recommended electricians so I guess we'll see. My understanding is that any electrician who install correctly according to code should be fine. The Tesla recommendation is (AFAIK) mostly so owners don't have to go searching for an electrician who knows something about these chargers.
Are there any special Tesla standards or procedures? Is it worth paying more money for an electrician who knows these procedures or are these recommended electricians taking advantage?

Here's what I've seen... the electricians haven't read their code books, at least not in the US. They say "well, it charges at 80A, so #4 is just fine", neglecting the continuous load requirements. In the US, Tesla is aligned with the code (except for their latest #2 recommendation) and it's the electricians who claim you don't have to follow code (which is BS).

Reactions: gpetti and Chaz
The only "special procedure" is a circuit, including wiring and breaker, that matches the setting you're going to use. (There are dip switches that can be set to accommodate various circuit sizes.) For the maximum charge rate that means 100 amps. There's nothing else special.

Reactions: gpetti
I'm jealous of everyone getting there's so quickly. I ordered mine 6/12 and still nothing. Even did the overnight shipping option.

What size wire is everyone running into the HPWC for an 80A load? #4?

Also, I have some 90 degree copper #6 that is rated to 75A. That should be fine as long as I leave dip switches at 72A, which is the most my new car could handle anyway...

Last edited:
I got my new HPWC and noticed that the inside is different than the previous model. Just for my edification as I'll get electrician to install it, how does one connect L1 and L2 with the 2 screws in the middle?

IMG_4843.JPG

Also, I noticed this new version doesn't have a ground on the unit.

I got my new HPWC and noticed that the inside is different than the previous model. Just for my edification as I'll get electrician to install it, how does one connect L1 and L2 with the 2 screws in the middle?

IMG_4843.JPG

Also, I noticed this new version doesn't have a ground on the unit.

Here are the instructions from the Tesla installation manual ... :cool:
Don't forget to set the internal rotary switch to the correct current.

upload_2016-6-29_20-38-46.png
upload_2016-6-29_20-41-7.png

If the HPWC had been wired to your fuse box with a telephone cord, it would still likely show the correct voltage. The issue is what is the voltage while it's charging the car? You can't detect bad wiring/connectors by measuring the voltage without a load.

Using the same wires I've always used. I'm aware of wire size requirements. I think it's all #3.

the car wouldn't begin charging at all. The HPWC would sometimes report a GFCI fault and sometimes it wouldn't report a fault at all.

Tesla was less than helpful.

It's VERY irritating that a part as expensive as this isn't repairable or diagnosable by Tesla. If it's board, relay, breaker, fuse inside the HPWC it should be able to be replaced / serviced.

Unacceptable. No way people buying a Model 3 will be willing to accept this situation.

Last edited: