Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're probably looking at the older version of the HPWC. For some reason both old and new HPWC manuals are listed, at least in my MyTesla account even though I only purchased one HPWC (the current version)

The manual for the current HPWC is here: Wall Connector with Side Dock Install Guide

upload_2017-1-4_21-9-27.png

My wall unit worked once. Professionally installed. 100 amp service. Just get a RD light at charge port. No lights on wall unit. Tried breaker reset and unit reset. Button on supplied cord does open charge port lid. Slow, backup cord works. Have P100D and high amp car upgrade. Disappointing.

My wall unit worked once. Professionally installed. 100 amp service. Just get a RD light at charge port. No lights on wall unit. Tried breaker reset and unit reset. Button on supplied cord does open charge port lid. Slow, backup cord works. Have P100D and high amp car upgrade. Disappointing.

bad install ? else if not then you could send it back for replacement if defective

Since this seems to be 'the' thread for HPWC issues, I thought I'd throw this out there. I'm looking at installing an HPWC on one side of our garage near the double door, and either prewiring or installing a second HPWC on the other wall across from the first. I have an M3 reserved and we are either getting an MX or second M3 depending on the next M3 reveal.

All the great advice here has covered the waterfront, I've read the manual and the charging FAQ, and the plan so far is: Install a small subpanel next to the main one in the garage, with a 100 A breaker to that subpanel, with a 100 A breaker for each circuit to each HPWC, and a separate 50 A breaker/circuit for a backup 14-50. That was all pretty simple after reading about dozens of installs here, thanks much!

The only issue is that the data cable between the two HPWCs for load-balancing seems to have a max length of 49 feet (says the manual). If you have a standard two car garage, and want to have two HPWCs on the outside walls near the entry door at one end, and run the power conduit down those walls and across the end wall to a main panel at one far corner, the combined distance from HPWC to HPWC is going to be more than 49 feet. (Say 18 feet long garage to the HPWCs, and 14 feet across; even in a straight line without conduit bending, that's 50.)

This seems to mean that you need to run another conduit overhead between the two HPWCs for the data cable for any large garage.

Does that all sound correct? Does it make sense that the data cable/signal wouldn't reach all the way around a standard two car garage? Seems like a strange limitation for this function of multiple HPWCs, unless I'm missing something stupid (wouldn't be the first time...).

And as a second question, anyone have a good recommendation for electricians for HPWC installs in Loudoun/Fairfax County Virginia? The one Tesla recommends sounds excellent but actual reviews are a good idea. Thanks!

... This seems to mean that you need to run another conduit overhead between the two HPWCs for the data cable for any large garage.

Does that all sound correct? Does it make sense that the data cable/signal wouldn't reach all the way around a standard two car garage? Seems like a strange limitation for this function of multiple HPWCs, unless I'm missing something stupid (wouldn't be the first time...). ...
There's no reason to run the data cable back to the panel. There is also no reason to run it in conduit. Just run it between the two HPWCs, stapled to the wall/ceiling.

For that matter, I would position the subpanel closer to one of the HPWCs so that I didn't have to run two circuits (three with the 14-50?) all the way from the back corner.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
There's no reason to run the data cable back to the panel. There is also no reason to run it in conduit. Just run it between the two HPWCs, stapled to the wall/ceiling.

For that matter, I would position the subpanel closer to one of the HPWCs so that I didn't have to run two circuits (three with the 14-50?) all the way from the back corner.
The problem with moving the subpanel 'closer' is that then unless you route the main power conduit over the ceiling to the other HPWC, it's then longer to the other HPWC., since you are going to the furthest ends of the garage, with the main panel in one of the inside corners. That may be doable; another wrinkle is the high ceiling, since the garage is under the master bedroom. :)

As for the data cable, if the manual controls, it says this:
The wire used for this local network must share the main power cable conduit or be housed in a separate conduit.
That's how I got to where I got. Use the power conduit (too long) or another (what a pain...).

The problem with moving the subpanel 'closer' is that then unless you route the main power conduit over the ceiling to the other HPWC, it's then longer to the other HPWC., since you are going to the furthest ends of the garage, with the main panel in one of the inside corners. That may be doable; another wrinkle is the high ceiling, since the garage is under the master bedroom. :)

As for the data cable, if the manual controls, it says this:
The wire used for this local network must share the main power cable conduit or be housed in a separate conduit.
That's how I got to where I got. Use the power conduit (too long) or another (what a pain...).
The data cable is low-voltage, so there's no reason it needs to be in conduit that I can see. Certainly some of the install pictures on here have shown it not in conduit. As far as the panel positioning, I would calculate the total overall length of the wire runs, plus the aesthetics of the install. From your verbal description, it sounded like moving the panel would save a lot of wire, but I could be wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
The data cable is low-voltage, so there's no reason it needs to be in conduit that I can see. Certainly some of the install pictures on here have shown it not in conduit. As far as the panel positioning, I would calculate the total overall length of the wire runs, plus the aesthetics of the install. From your verbal description, it sounded like moving the panel would save a lot of wire, but I could be wrong.
I think we're down to the usual 'do the local inspectors treat the manual as gospel or not' sort of thing. In any case, I like your idea of moving the subpanel close(r) to the first HPWC. Then, larger conduit from it to the second HPWC (over the ceiling) is shorter than my original plan of going horizontally around the room and also would be short enough to include the data cable. It also has the advantage of fewer 90 degree bends, which is always nice.

Thanks for the advice!

Ha. It so could have happened that way.
I installed my mid-Nov. '16 with 100 amp service. From the charger manual (and confirmed on my first charge), '16 90D, all I could do was charge at 48amps due to the onboard charger limit. The onboard charger limit is just that unless you have the optional dual charger. Understand that the Supercharger over rides the home charger (onboard) limit and pushes 70+ amps.

I installed my mid-Nov. '16 with 100 amp service. From the charger manual (and confirmed on my first charge), '16 90D, all I could do was charge at 48amps due to the onboard charger limit. The onboard charger limit is just that unless you have the optional dual charger. Understand that the Supercharger over rides the home charger (onboard) limit and pushes 70+ amps.
The Superchargers are capable of supplying ~360A...

I'm not so sure that's so. It depends on how they designed and UL certified the box. What they are requiring is that you use Class 1 wiring methods for the data cable, which implies that they either didn't design the new HPWC to adequately separate it from the 240V to mitigate hazards from a short, or they chose not to test the device to that standard. And that's the objection you're likely to get from the AHJ if you get your installation inspected and they they get their hands on the manual and happen to notice that line of the instructions. You're not likely to get an exception to do anything other than use another Class 1 wiring method per the code. I suppose you could run the data over Romex or something else with an appropriate insulation rating if you have a multi-HPWC install and want to use large cable instead of conduit for the power feed, but... practically, it's likely easiest to just use conduit (greenfield or LFMC will do for those who are averse to pipe bending) and run them together.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus