Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many thanks for this information. Just had my wall charger installed this morning on a 100amp circuit. Try as we might, we couldn't get it to show it was drawing 80amps on setting "D" on the dial. B showed 64, C showed 72, but D showed 72 as well (instead of the 80 listed in the charger manual) and it had me and my electrician stumped. Sounds like the Model S will only draw 72 regardless as a max?

Also went through the "lockable" discussion for the breaker, so glad to see that was expected as well.
Yes, Facelift Model S will only draw up to 72 amps. You need an older pre-facelift Model S with dual chargers to actually draw 80 amps from an HPWC on a 100 amp breaker.

Many thanks for this information. Just had my wall charger installed this morning on a 100amp circuit. Try as we might, we couldn't get it to show it was drawing 80amps on setting "D" on the dial. B showed 64, C showed 72, but D showed 72 as well (instead of the 80 listed in the charger manual) and it had me and my electrician stumped. Sounds like the Model S will only draw 72 regardless as a max?
Right. Remember that the charging station doesn't "force" energy to the car. It announces what level of charging is available, and then the car decides how much it wants to take. It's kind of like a buffet that shows how much food is available, but you only have a 72A sized plate, even if the buffet could supply more.
So you can set a wall connector to have an 80A total capacity, and all of the 40 and 48 and 72 capable cars can all use it. They will just draw less than maximum.

Right. Remember that the charging station doesn't "force" energy to the car. It announces what level of charging is available, and then the car decides how much it wants to take. It's kind of like a buffet that shows how much food is available, but you only have a 72A sized plate, even if the buffet could supply more.
So you can set a wall connector to have an 80A total capacity, and all of the 40 and 48 and 72 capable cars can all use it. They will just draw less than maximum.

Yes! And folks should be aware that setting the rotary dial wrong could create a latent safety hazard. Say you wire up a 60a circuit (good for 48a continuous) but then accidentally set the Wall Connector to 100a (80a usable). But then say you only have a Model 3. Or never draws more than 48a even though the Wall Connector offered 80a.

Then years later you get a Tesla pickup truck and it can draw the full 80a. Most likely you will end up with a blown breaker. If you are unlucky and the breaker was to be defective it could result in a fire.

I wonder if we could request that Tesla display the “offered” charge rate in addition to the current charge rate and the set charge rate and the max charge rate (min of offered and vehicle max).

So you can get 100a at 120v and 200a at 220v, we only get 100a at "230v" (I get 244v) single phase on domestic circuits. The UK used to be 240v nominal but with the rest of Europe at 220v the "standard" is now 230v across Europe. The weird thing is we just expanded the tolerance to meet that standard :) So we were 240v +/-6% now we are 230v +10/-6%.

Ring mains start and end at the same breaker, single ended low power circuits are 16a max and lighting circuits are again single ended and normally 6a. All other high power circuits like showers, electric hobs, EV chargers are all single ended 32 - 40 amp.

So to clarify the most typical service delivered in the US is a 200a split phase service.

So you can draw 200a of 240v off of that, or 200a of 120 off one phase leg and 200a of 120v from the other phase leg for a total of 400a of 120v service.

Now in practice, this basically never happens. All heavy duty loads run at 240v. Just lighting and convenience wall outlets are 120v.

As others have mentioned, I don’t know that I have ever seen a 120v circuit over 30a. And even that is only for powering camp trailer hookups.

P.S. What is an electric “hob”. :) Oh and what does a shower need a circuit for? An instant hot water heater? That must take a ton of current.

P.P.S. Do you know how your transformer is wired that feeds your house? When you say you get a 100a feed at 230v, is one of the conductors tied to neutral? Or actually, do you get three phase service delivered?

yes it takes 22kW just to heat one shower.
in germany thats quite common. they pump 3 phases x240V with 32A each into it, et voila: 22kW

Hrm, interesting. 230*32*sqrt(3) = 12,747 kW by my math. ;-) (nominal EU voltage is now 230 right?)

So it all depends on how much temperature rise you need to the water (colder inlet water needs more heat to bring it to temp). And what the flow rate is for your shower. My experience with a well water driven house has been that a 38kW instant heater struggled to keep up with even a ~2.5 gallon per minute shower head.

Hrm, interesting. 230*32*sqrt(3) = 12,747 kW by my math. ;-) (nominal EU voltage is now 230 right?)

So it all depends on how much temperature rise you need to the water (colder inlet water needs more heat to bring it to temp). And what the flow rate is for your shower. My experience with a well water driven house has been that a 38kW instant heater struggled to keep up with even a ~2.5 gallon per minute shower head.
If the "nominal" voltage is 230 then you multiply by 3, not sqrt(3).

Most modern showerheads are less than 2 gpm. 22kW is generally enough if the temperature rise isn't too much.

If the "nominal" voltage is 230 then you multiply by 3, not sqrt(3).

Most modern showerheads are less than 2 gpm. 22kW is generally enough if the temperature rise isn't too much.

Hrm, is the 230 volts the phase to neural voltage or phase to phase voltage? I assumed it was phase to phase voltage in which case 1.73 (square root of three) is correct. If 230v is the phase to neutral voltage then phase to phase voltage is 400v and then yes, your math is correct and I was wrong. Thanks!

While I admit I have found this back and forth rather interesting, it's really not on topic of the thread.... Perhaps you should start a new one?

Not trying to be snarky, just thinking of the poor soul who finds this thread via google in 2 years and has to wade through US/UK electricity standard talk while they are looking for HPWC info.

Also went through the "lockable" discussion for the breaker, so glad to see that was expected as well.

I believe only the early Classic cars with dual 40kW chargers could draw the full 80kW. The later Facelift cars are all limited to 72kW :cool:

Reactions: Fiver
Hrm, is the 230 volts the phase to neural voltage or phase to phase voltage? I assumed it was phase to phase voltage in which case 1.73 (square root of three) is correct. If 230v is the phase to neutral voltage then phase to phase voltage is 400v and then yes, your math is correct and I was wrong. Thanks!
Phase to N is 230v. Phase to Phase is 400v.

Reactions: eprosenx
While I admit I have found this back and forth rather interesting, it's really not on topic of the thread.... Perhaps you should start a new one?

Not trying to be snarky, just thinking of the poor soul who finds this thread via google in 2 years and has to wade through US/UK electricity standard talk while they are looking for HPWC info.
Yeah that would be me :) thanks for getting back on subject.
Dzm

Reactions: Fiver
oh well
The HPWC stopped working after a week or so despite the shiny contacts.
Tesla came out and replaced the cable (took two visits and a couple of weeks) but it still ain't working.
There are enough of these out there that someone must be fixing broken units - anyone know who to contact?
Thanks

I'm about to start a collection of broken ones to learn how they work.

I had one go bad too.

5DC324CE-1F86-4082-8C69-A31B6FB139A9.jpeg
2C3A50DF-9B6E-4F99-AA2B-7BCA39820C55.jpeg
7C2224ED-398E-4AD9-8382-AE8127E0A0EB.jpeg
421392AF-F3ED-4D6E-B235-281643AD1669.jpeg
092C0AD1-3232-4B74-AB5B-0AB6C640221C.jpeg
Just swapped out my HPWC for the signature edition, I wish I would have painted black the conduit down from the disconnect, kinda like the silver one a little bit better I think
My old one is going to go to my parents place where I’ll have two there now