Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ambient around 82F. Handle temp 125F. SOOW cable for 130F-170F (you can guess the hottest spot)!!

Also interesting (pic 3) to see the cabling on the inside coming from the charging port.

My handle will get about 170 degF with ambient of 85 degF or so, very very warm to the touch but it is what it is. :)

Got the new fuse assembly today. Mailed from the SC. Installed and all works well.

Note of caution. The front plate became kind of stuck to the body because of heat during use.. Mine came loose all at once and I damaged the ribbon connector for the face plate LED. I was able to repair it, but go slow when removing the face plate to avoid damage.

In my case, I used infrared surface temp thermometer - I don't have thermal imaging. The metal of the handle gets very, very, very warm at 80A. Service has been made aware.

Service came out today and noted the temperature (120 deg F @ 40A, 180 deg F @ 80A). They replaced my HPWC cable and sent the old one back. Much cooler now.

They wanted to know whether it occured on just my car, or more than one car. Luckily, I had tested it on the loaner and another owner came by and noted the heat, so it was easy to narrow. In other cases, it seems as if it could be the charge port itself.

Got the new fuse assembly today. Mailed from the SC. Installed and all works well.

Note of caution. The front plate became kind of stuck to the body because of heat during use.. Mine came loose all at once and I damaged the ribbon connector for the face plate LED. I was able to repair it, but go slow when removing the face plate to avoid damage.

Hi Lloyd,

I'm glad the kits are trickling out... did you have to sign some kind of waiver with TM to be able to do the install yourself, or perhaps you are an electrician? I'm wondering what the official stance is on DIY installs of the kit...

Hi Lloyd,

I'm glad the kits are trickling out... did you have to sign some kind of waiver with TM to be able to do the install yourself, or perhaps you are an electrician? I'm wondering what the official stance is on DIY installs of the kit...

I am not an electrician, but worked for one on a summer job. They just asked if I had one to supervise the job. I said yes, and that's as far as it went.

Hi Lloyd,

The official stance has been different. I was told I needed to fax my electrician's license to the service center before they could ship the fuses; others just had to nod "yes" when asked if it would be installed by a certified person. I heard from another who said that their SC preferred to send rangers to do the job.

So, "it depends". :)

The official stance has been different. I was told I needed to fax my electrician's license to the service center before they could ship the fuses; others just had to nod "yes" when asked if it would be installed by a certified person. I heard from another who said that their SC preferred to send rangers to do the job.

I've emailed my local SC manager to see what he has to say... bizarre that there's no official word on this, and that TM hasn't contacted all of us waiting for a fix that was promised in June. Oh well...

My SC is sending a ranger tomorrow. I didn't even ask if it was DIY. Ranger was offered and I took it.

Question to all: Does the car have to be there for testing? My son is going to stay home and wait for the ranger and I could switch out and not use the car, but that would take the fun out of my day!

I was told flat out by Columbus SC that only Ranger techs could do the install, not my own electrician. But I was fine with that, given that they were at my house the next day, *much* faster than I could have gotten my own electrician there!

We did notice that charging at 80A means a hot cord, hot handle, and very hot breaker screws. Normal or a problem? Wish I had that FLIR capability for the images posted earlier.