Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction before I call Tesla.
I had a wall connector installed about two weeks before I received my Model S last Friday.
At Tesla there were no issues using their wall connector. version 2
When I got home and plugged in I could not get a green flashing light.
It will start to connect and turn either amber or red. The wall connector will go from solid green to solid red.
If I keep disconnecting and reconnecting it will eventually connect and start flashing green.
What I noticed last night is when I inserted the connector and both the port and the charger turned red, I pushed the reset button on the side and it clicked, turned green and started to charge the car. This is repeatable. Pull it out, reconnect, turns red, press reset and turns green and starts recharging.
Is there something I can start looking at or should I just call Tesla?
Any insight would be helpful.

btw, It's a P100D and so far it's been great. No issues at all with the delivery. Only one small spec in the paint we could find which wasn't worth the hassle to get fixed. Even came with the wireless charger that wasn't available when I ordered it.

Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction before I call Tesla.
I had a wall connector installed about two weeks before I received my Model S last Friday.
At Tesla there were no issues using their wall connector. version 2
When I got home and plugged in I could not get a green flashing light.
It will start to connect and turn either amber or red. The wall connector will go from solid green to solid red.
If I keep disconnecting and reconnecting it will eventually connect and start flashing green.
What I noticed last night is when I inserted the connector and both the port and the charger turned red, I pushed the reset button on the side and it clicked, turned green and started to charge the car. This is repeatable. Pull it out, reconnect, turns red, press reset and turns green and starts recharging.
Is there something I can start looking at or should I just call Tesla?
Any insight would be helpful.

btw, It's a P100D and so far it's been great. No issues at all with the delivery. Only one small spec in the paint we could find which wasn't worth the hassle to get fixed. Even came with the wireless charger that wasn't available when I ordered it.

Congratulations on your Tesla! Did you try shutting off power to the wall connector and waiting 30 seconds, then powering it back on? If that doesn't help, you might want to have an electrician check all of the electrical connections in the unit. As a last resort, you can call Tesla.

At least you have a way to work around the issue. Does it keep charging until complete when you press the reset button?

Congratulations on your Tesla! Did you try shutting off power to the wall connector and waiting 30 seconds, then powering it back on? If that doesn't help, you might want to have an electrician check all of the electrical connections in the unit. As a last resort, you can call Tesla.

At least you have a way to work around the issue. Does it keep charging until complete when you press the reset button?

I did the first night.
Interesting thing, last night I came home expecting the same issue and plugged it in and started charging, no issues.
I guess I'm just going to have to watch it.
Thanks for the reply!

After 4 years of trouble-free operation I had mine show red in the morning when I came out, but the car was fully charged (80% - my daily commute charge). Came home that night, plugged it in, no issues - turned green. Next morning same thing, connector and WC show red but the car is at 80%. Went like this for several days until one day it showed red the minute I plugged it in. Turned off the breaker to the WC, let it sit for a couple of minutes. After turning back on everything went back to normal. This was a couple of months ago and I haven't had any issues since then. Just another data point for you all...

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352 and Fiver
After 4 years of trouble-free operation I had mine show red in the morning when I came out, but the car was fully charged (80% - my daily commute charge). Came home that night, plugged it in, no issues - turned green. Next morning same thing, connector and WC show red but the car is at 80%. Went like this for several days until one day it showed red the minute I plugged it in. Turned off the breaker to the WC, let it sit for a couple of minutes. After turning back on everything went back to normal. This was a couple of months ago and I haven't had any issues since then. Just another data point for you all...
The internal connections/lugs expand and contract with heat from use, which tends to loosen the connections Once they are loose enough the power becomes slightly variable, and the car can sense this and trip a blinking red light. Have an electrician (or yourself if you're comfortable) take off the cover and check the torque. Just happened with me, loose wires, solved.

PS - turn off power to unit first!

I had a problem with my first Nema 14-50 charger...it was constantly cycling from 40amps to 30amps....cables were warm to touch not hot...measured at 98F at plug and 78F to connector and 80F at car plug handle.....unit was installed by certified and recommended Tesla company.....turned out my charger was bad...the wiring in the cables used were not large enough for the current capability of the charger and the heat sensor would cut amps down for safety......this was a known problem about a year ago right before I bought my Model 3.....when I got the Model S, still continued to cycle....I called Tesla and they sent me a new charger, but it was the hard wired variety.....cables were twice as large.....since that was hard-wired in, no issues with cycling amperage....always charges at 40a.....anyone having issues with the Nema 14-50 should have Tesla change out...They paid for the electrician to install the new unit.....they will not admit it was the unit, just say it was not selling so they discontinued it.....hahahaha......oh yes, they have a 4 year warranty

If anyone is looking for a new charger, I have an extra Black HPWC with Elon's signature.
It was part of the referral program and has 2 features not available on the new chargers. PM me if interested.

· Power sharing with previously installed Gen 2 Wall Connectors
· High power output (up to 80 amps) for older Model S and Model X equipped with 72A or 80A on-board chargers.

My Gen 3 Wall Connector suddenly started having charging interruptions every hour or two while charging my 2016 Model S 90D. One red blinking light on the connector during the interruptions which points towards a grounding issue. I’ve had the car and wall connector(installed by an electrician) about 6 weeks with no issues. Did a trip last weekend and did some 110v charging in an RV park as well as some supercharges and that following night the problem started.

I just happened to have a Tesla Mobile Service tech out yesterday doing an unrelated repair and he said the problem is not with the car from what he could see. He did say that is should be charging at 32 amps instead of 40amps(50amp breaker) as its bad to charge above that. I found that odd as I’ve never heard that before. I bumped the charging amps down to 32 on the car’s screen but the interruption problem persists. Should my next step be to open up the wall connector and move the dial down to 32 amps from there?

My Gen 3 Wall Connector suddenly started having charging interruptions every hour or two while charging my 2016 Model S 90D. One red blinking light on the connector during the interruptions which points towards a grounding issue. I’ve had the car and wall connector(installed by an electrician) about 6 weeks with no issues. Did a trip last weekend and did some 110v charging in an RV park as well as some supercharges and that following night the problem started.

I just happened to have a Tesla Mobile Service tech out yesterday doing an unrelated repair and he said the problem is not with the car from what he could see. He did say that is should be charging at 32 amps instead of 40amps(50amp breaker) as its bad to charge above that. I found that odd as I’ve never heard that before. I bumped the charging amps down to 32 on the car’s screen but the interruption problem persists. Should my next step be to open up the wall connector and move the dial down to 32 amps from there?
If it is indeed a grounding issue lowering the power output won’t help. If your wall charger is on a 50A circuit, it should operate properly at 40A (80% of 50).

I would have the electrician come back to inspect. It could be something as simple as a loose lug in the wall connector or in your breaker panel.

Opening up and changing the dial will have no operational difference from setting the current lower on the car screen. If it doesn't function when set down from the screen, it won't work with the dial.

Sorry if this has been answered already but I've searched a few times on the forum and haven't found an answer.

I have a 2014 S85 with dual chargers. I've been using a J1772 40 amp charging station, as that's what we bought back when we had a Volt. But now we've moved into a new house and I'd like to put up a Tesla Wall Connector. It's a rental unit so I'll have to get landlords approval, but there's a BC Government program that'll cover $350 which should take care of the installation.

Anyway, where our car is dual chargers, I like the idea of taking advantage of the Gen 2 charger's ability to charge at 80 amps (if the electrical panel has space for that - which I'm not certain about as I haven't moved in yet). But if I were to buy a Gen 2 charger am I missing out on other benefits of Gen 3 that I haven't considered?

tl;dr if I have a dual charger car should I buy Gen 2 or Gen 3 wall charger?

tl;dr if I have a dual charger car should I buy Gen 2 or Gen 3 wall charger?

Right now, the Gen2 has more capabilities for you (faster charging if your home power allows). No one really knows what magic the gen3 might bring. The only promised thing is networking >4 WCs and cannot even network any Gen3 yet. Gen3 is a lighter duty unit with a shorter cord.

I think I'd get the gen2 (of course I have 2 of them :). )

Last edited:
Reactions: tga and Pandalus
Can anyone tell me what 2 yellow flashes mean on the HPWC?

I've discovered that my MS have been starting to charge at 40 amps and after a few minutes it will lower to 30 amps. Today I tried using the mobile connector and it never drops below 40 on the nema 14-50. So a good sign my car is fine and the wiring on nema 14-50 should be good as well.

Afterwards I plugged the HPWC back into the 14-50 and plugged my car in. Couple hours passed and when I went into my garage I saw the HPWC with 2 flashing yellow lights.

Can anyone enlighten me what is happening?

Thanks

Update my previous post #1699.

On the Reddit Tesla community several users had experienced the same issues and their HPWC were replaced. Gen-2: Tesla launches new Wall Connector with NEMA 14-50 plug - Electrek

Just now I got off the phone with Tesla and they will be sending me a replacement Gen-3. At first they were replacing it with the same Gen-2 but I asked for a Gen-3 and I'll pay for the labor hard-wiring. Gen=3: Wall Connector

I am told I should receive the package in about a week.

Last edited: