Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S HW 2.0 to HW 3.0 Upgrades? (Not HW2.5 or Model 3 upgrades to HW3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my opinion they should work on the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade for all FSD MCU1 cars and have just (more or less) one HW configuration for future software development (regarding FSD).
They could take part of the $7,000 FSD sales for those upgrades. Those 7,000 are just for the SW development and they have no other expenses linked to this revenue.
I think at the end it would be cheaper for them (long term) to upgrade all MCU1 instead of dealing with different SW codes for years to come...
And I don’t think it would cost them more than $1.000 per car to upgrade the HW. I’m talking about the actual internal COST and not the revenue they could make with paid upgrades!

And beside the FSD features they would bring back faith to us because we would get a ton of other features we are missing right now (having MCU1)...

Last edited:
Reactions: SO16
In my opinion they should work on the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade for all FSD MCU1 cars and have just (more or less) one HW configuration for future software development (regarding FSD).
They could take part of the $7,000 FSD sales for those upgrades. Those 7,000 are just for the SW development and they have no other expenses linked to this revenue.
I think at the end it would be cheaper for them (long term) to upgrade all MCU1 instead of dealing with different SW codes for years to come...
And I don’t think it would cost them more than $1.000 per car to upgrade the HW. I’m talking about the actual internal COST and not the revenue they could make with paid upgrades!
100% agree.

Fix the HW scattering build updates and easily ship to two FSD configurations (including image processing for retrofitted HW2 camera cars if applicable):
  • MCU2 HW3 w RCCC
  • MCU2 HW3 w RCCB
Then you can have internal development of

v10 w config (1) HW3 FSD RCCC
v10 w config (2) HW3 FSD RCCB
v10 w config (3) AP suite RCCC
v10 w config (4) AP suite RCCB
v10 w config (5) no AP older cars

It could be even more simple than that but I'm giving them as much credit as they deserve on this front
AP suite updates should begin phase out within reasonable timeframe if the FSD progress is coming along expected. AP should be perfected at that point with minor updates.

Marty, you're not thinking fourth-dimensionally!
At one point they will have to introduce a MCU3, so that setup wouldn't last that long.

My 2 cents: let's wait and see (and only report facts, rather than pessimistic or wishful thinking).

At one point they will have to introduce a MCU3, so that setup wouldn't last that long.

My 2 cents: let's wait and see (and only report facts, rather than pessimistic or wishful thinking).
But you can't tell me you don't even SLIGHTLY despise your MCU1 after using an MCU2.. Would be pretty awesome if it turns out so

But that doesn’t mean that the new HW needs a new code. It could be compatible with the current MCU2/AP3 configuration.
If you upgrade your PC with a new generation chip it’s usually compatible with current software for years to come!
But Tesla needs to deal with less than 2 years old cars being not compatible right now because they decided to use computer chips which were 5 years old and outdated in 2016 when they introduced AP2!
Just to safe maybe $100 in HW cost selling $100k cars...

It handles my rear cam fine... just nothing else very well. The spotify is kinda laggy, browser is 100% useless, and we don't get many games worth a play. Sentry mode is literally a joke... and from a stance of "Fluidity" of the UI, it lags and loses frame rate with every action like a 2004 Windows Laptop with 3 Powerpoints up.
But it's K because it *looks* like a good system at first when ya get into the car o_O

AP2 v AP2.5 is the differentiator for Sentry Mode (not MCU1). It’s very useful for AP2.5/MCU1 as it records sentry mode videos.

And yes, the backup camera works fine, but for Dashcam MCU1 only records the front and sides, while MCU2 has added the rear camera in addition.

I don’t see anyone on this thread bringing up the camera situation as well. I am wondering even if they upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 that they will need to address the b&w cameras too. I would think they might need color cameras to address street light, stop signs, as well as orange contruction cones.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
You won't see it. Tesla is scrambling to find a solution without having to replace MCUs. I could very well see this ending in admitting FSD is not possible with MCU1 so you either pay for the upgrade or they will refund you the FSD cost
..... uh no, they promised me FSD in writing so they must update any necessary components or provide a compelling trade-in offer on a conforming vehicle.

..... uh no, they promised me FSD in writing so they must update any necessary components or provide a compelling trade-in offer on a conforming vehicle.

Honestly... That better be a heck of an offer, giving up unlimited supercharging - transferable for some, lifetime premium connectivity.

I for one wont be trading in my model S anytime soon.