Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Hybrid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all!
Has anyone explored the possibility that Model S was designed to be a hybrid and/or could easily be modified to be one? Think about it. The frunk could easily accommodate a range extending engine and the trunk below floor storage could easily accommodate a gas tank. Potentially giving the Model S a combined range of over 600 miles! Do you care to comment Mr Musk?

This isn't the official Tesla site.

The answer is no. The space is there because (a) the battery is large (b) the space acts as a crumple zone.

With the i3 you need the REX to make it functional. WHich is a shame as 80% of the time I wouldn't need it, and when I did it would be just for the last few miles if at all (range anxiety). But, I hated the idea that I would need to carry around an extra 600 lbs even when I wouldn't need it most of the time. With the Tesla you have plenty of range already and IMO the 20 minutes to supercharge to 80% is very reasonable. How often are you driving over 300 miles in a crack? What about the rest of the time? Do you really want to be forced to carry all of that extra dead weight? So much for ludicrous performance...

I'd prefer that Tesla continue their expansion of the Supercharger network. It would achieve the same basic goal as a range extender engine, but without ruining the car and without burning any gasoline. Plus, each Supercharger that goes in benefits (nearly) all 100,000+ existing cars on the road, not just a few new ones.

Hybrids are the netbooks of automobiles. Unlike traditional car manufacturers, Tesla leapfrogged the "netbook" stage and went directly to fully electric vehicles. They don't need to cling to the past with half-gas offerings like traditional manufacturers who want to play it safe.

Hello all!
Has anyone explored the possibility that Model S was designed to be a hybrid and/or could easily be modified to be one? Think about it. The frunk could easily accommodate a range extending engine and the trunk below floor storage could easily accommodate a gas tank. Potentially giving the Model S a combined range of over 600 miles! Do you care to comment Mr Musk?

Why would you do that when a supercharger can add range so much faster even for the 15 minutes it takes to charge?

You are all ruining my dream of a Mad Max style Model S with a blower scoop through the hood!

In response to most of you, I agree that the Model S is the best car ever built and meets 95% of the populations needs. There's no doubt Tesla has advanced the automobile to where it should be. It's a mean green machine. Its almost the perfect car. Almost.......

I think that an ICE range extender completes the picture. Huge range when needed. The ability to quickly refuel when wanted or needed. Zero emmision most of the time. It could potentially have a direct drive HO ICE that could take it beyond Ludicrous! Maybe Kanye West mode? ;->

You are all ruining my dream of a Mad Max style Model S with a blower scoop through the hood!

In response to most of you, I agree that the Model S is the best car ever built and meets 95% of the populations needs. There's no doubt Tesla has advanced the automobile to where it should be. It's a mean green machine. Its almost the perfect car. Almost.......

I think that an ICE range extender completes the picture. Huge range when needed. The ability to quickly refuel when wanted or needed. Zero emmision most of the time. It could potentially have a direct drive HO ICE that could take it beyond Ludicrous! Maybe Kanye West mode? ;->
And then you woke up and your delusional nightmare was finally over.

image.jpeg