Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S is long in the tooth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only because there's now a readily available EV alternative for those who only wanted to spend $40-50K on a car. Adding a bunch of bling to the S won't bring those buyers back.

Agree. I bought an S, at a huge premium, because I didn’t want to wait for a 3. I don’t regret that decision, but almost certainly won’t buy another when it’s time to replace. I’m far from alone in that boat.

Agree. I bought an S, at a huge premium, because I didn’t want to wait for a 3. I don’t regret that decision, but almost certainly won’t buy another when it’s time to replace. I’m far from alone in that boat.

The problem kind of becomes if you want electric what do you buy? The 3 just has too much road noise (worse than an Audi A3), the etron is quite boring and slow, ipace is DOA. I’m hoping for the Taycan to deliver or that the Etron GT is fun but who knows.

"The 3 has just too much road noise"

I realize everyone has different tolerances and different road construction, but I don't find that to be the case.
I would get a 3 and put some dynamat in and change out tires if need be.

Been in a few 3s now and all of them have been very loud compared to my S, and the S isn’t even that good, a BMW 5 series is way better. Theres a lot of sound leakage around the doors from cars next to you as well as a lot of tire noise in the back in the 3. Even the Audi A3 has less road noise than the Model 3 and that’s a entry level car. In the front it might be passable apart from the sound leaking from cars in other lanes.

Sound insulation is one of Teslas weak areas across all cars to be honest.

If nothing fun comes up until in a year when it is time to start deciding what to replace my 2018 S with, I don’t really know what to get. If the 3 get’s a ski hatch or 40/20/40 folding seats I might consider a 3 Performance even if it is quite loud, then it can at least work for 4 adults on a ski trip so it can replace the S.

Last edited:
Didn't Raven suspension upgrade address road noise and comfort remarkably? What else are you expecting? Most road noise transfers from suspension to body and panels and from there to cabin.

I’ve done quite extensive extra sound insulation on my S. I’d rather even pay for that job done aftermarket than buy otherwise sub par competitor EV.

Teslas have frameless windows and the seals require regular cleaning and applying of rubber care, even very new cars. Try it and hear a difference in wind noise.

Didn't Raven suspension upgrade address road noise and comfort remarkably? What else are you expecting? Most road noise transfers from suspension to body and panels and from there to cabin.

I’ve done quite extensive extra sound insulation on my S. I’d rather even pay for that job done aftermarket than buy otherwise sub par competitor EV.

Teslas have frameless windows and the seals require regular cleaning and applying of rubber care, even very new cars. Try it and hear a difference in wind noise.

The suspension isn’t night and day really I tested them both with 19” back to back and while the suspension swallows a lot of bumps and thus reduces the road noise a bit it does nothing to adress the leakage from the leakage from doors/windows from cars around you, which in my car is the biggest issue. Most of the problem comes from the doors not being that well insulated as well as them not using any acoustic glass.

I don’t have much wind noise at all really, my S seems to be one of the ones where the seals are doors actually fit together as it is quite good compared to a lot of other Model S that I tested. Still nothing compared to say an E-tron with acoustic glass in terms of noise though.

The problem kind of becomes if you want electric what do you buy?

If I needed to buy today it would be a Model 3, in spite of my continued concern for the longevity and competent management of the company. Road noise is not a major buying criteria for me.

That said, my current plan is to defer that decision as long as possible and keep my 2016 S for the entirety of its 8 year battery and drive unit warranty.

The suspension isn’t night and day really I tested them both with 19” back to back and while the suspension swallows a lot of bumps and thus reduces the road noise a bit it does nothing to adress the leakage from the leakage from doors/windows from cars around you, which in my car is the biggest issue. Most of the problem comes from the doors not being that well insulated as well as them not using any acoustic glass.

I don’t have much wind noise at all really, my S seems to be one of the ones where the seals are doors actually fit together as it is quite good compared to a lot of other Model S that I tested. Still nothing compared to say an E-tron with acoustic glass in terms of noise though.
This is how subjective the whole noise topic is. Some feel that difference between 19 and 21 inch wheels is night and day, and Raven measures quieter with 21s than earlier cars with 19s according to a couple of youtubers. However, tone of noise is almost as important as volume.

You might get some improvement to surrounding noise by doing a full dynamat + closed cell foam treatment to doors. Seals need treatment to keep them tight even if there is no misfit, as is the case with my car as well. I had acoustic glass on A8 and I don’t remember it being extremely effective, but I’d definitely take them, especially with a thermal layer.

Agree that the frameless windows are a big weak area. Other brands realized this decades ago and dropped them on all but convertibles. They look cool but not worth the issues they create.

Not true. Can find frameless windows on many new higher end vehicles with hard tops.

That being said, I do prefer framed windows.

I agree. Many other new, higher end cars have frameless windows: Audi A7, BMW 6/8 Series, Mercedes CLS.

I stand corrected - it seems they are being reintroduced after many years. Makes me wonder how they get the seal right and keep noise down, and open/close the door without feeling clunky. Though the only ones that have this are low volume "sport" niche vehicles where noise may not be as much of a concern - you don't see these on the volume models, like the S/E class sedans, A6/8, 5/7 series, Lexus LS, etc.

I stand corrected - it seems they are being reintroduced after many years. Makes me wonder how they get the seal right and keep noise down, and open/close the door without feeling clunky. Though the only ones that have this are low volume "sport" niche vehicles where noise may not be as much of a concern - you don't see these on the volume models, like the S/E class sedans, A6/8, 5/7 series, Lexus LS, etc.

The A5 has it as well. But yes, it seems rather specific to a certain style of car; I don't know why.. They work the same as in the model S - when you pull handle they quickly lower the window a fraction of an inch to release the pressure on the seal. And when the door closes they push the window back up into the seal to reduce road noise.

Well they are better at building cars for one but many of them offer acoustic glass even for frameless windows. They are mostly likely spending more money on sound insulation and designs around that as well.

Reactions: robg

What is “acoustic glass”?