Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Loaner Situation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to get my Model S fixed, again. I am not sure what Tesla is thinking by selling all of their loaners. Norristown, PA has 1 loaner at this time since they have sold all the others. They have that 1 vehicle scheduled out until April. In the meantime they are partnered up with Enterprise. Sorry, I am not paying 1400 a month to drive a chevy or ford. I have made sacrifices to own this vehicle and this is my thank you. I don't know how they can expect to keep their customers happy when they promise up front to put you in a model s.

April 26, 2013

Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program

By Elon Musk, Chairman, Product Architect & CEOTAGS: CUSTOMERS / MODEL S / STORES /
icn_discussion_14.gif
50 comments

• Fully loaded Model S Performance 85 cars or Tesla Roadsters as loaners
  • Tesla will seamlessly valet the loaner cars to your location
  • $600 annual service now optional with no effect on warranty
  • Unconditional warranty for Model S battery, even for user error

It's a little surprising given the King of Prussia presence. I'd think that the showroom would be rather large and they'd certainly have enough loaners. I'm sure this is difficult for them to do, given such a high demand of Teslas, but it does suck as most premium car companies give you a premium car as a loaner (e.g., Mercedes, BMW, Audi...).

That said, in general my opinion on these kinds of complaints is that they best fall on higher level customer care ears. Many, many, times I've been ignored locally by my complaints. But often writing to the high level service department elicits some sort of response. You might want to consider writing/typing a letter and shooting it out to Tesla customer service. Maybe they can start trying to maintain a minimum number of cars at locations. Maybe they'll do something out of their way for you. For example, I complained to Delta over their customer service phone line about 5x about an issue, and they wouldn't do anything. I wrote one letter to the main customer service department, and they gave me $400 worth of flight vouchers. It's not always the issue you're having that will get you anywhere, it's just making sure it falls on the proper ears.

I was told here locally that each of the SC across the country will be getting several brand new 2014 p85+ in first week of January. They had a push to sell them all at year end and they all sold much faster than they anticipated they would. Go figure! Get my car in a few days or wait a few months. Hmmm. Considering we live in a society of I want it yesterday I'm not surprised. So let's hope this does actually happen as I've got a few irritating things I'd like fixed but I'm with the OP I don't make the hefty car payment to go back to an ICE even for a few hours or on teslas dime.

The Raleigh SC went from having 5 loaners to only 1. I think with the recent increase of delivery times plus end of quarter plus people wanting to get cars before the holidays is a perfect storm. Hopefully all will be replenished in the new year.

Trying to get my Model S fixed, again. I am not sure what Tesla is thinking by selling all of their loaners. Norristown, PA has 1 loaner at this time since they have sold all the others. They have that 1 vehicle scheduled out until April. In the meantime they are partnered up with Enterprise. Sorry, I am not paying 1400 a month to drive a chevy or ford. I have made sacrifices to own this vehicle and this is my thank you. I don't know how they can expect to keep their customers happy when they promise up front to put you in a model s.

April 26, 2013

Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program

By Elon Musk, Chairman, Product Architect & CEOTAGS: CUSTOMERS / MODEL S / STORES /
icn_discussion_14.gif
50 comments

• Fully loaded Model S Performance 85 cars or Tesla Roadsters as loaners
  • Tesla will seamlessly valet the loaner cars to your location
  • $600 annual service now optional with no effect on warranty
  • Unconditional warranty for Model S battery, even for user error

Couldn't agree with this comment more. This is another example of TM making headlines with a big splash and setting high expectations, only to not come close on living up to it. White Plains has only a few loaners, and the new Mt Kisco has none. Its really unfortunate that Tesla seems to do this over and over and over again. Set high expectations only to not live up to them and leave customers disillusioned. We all want to see Tesla succeed, one of of ensuring that doesn't happen is to make big bold public statements and then not come close to fulfilling them. Very unfortunate.

They're probably selling off the loaners because the PA state tax credit is supposed to end this month. So anyone in PA who wants a Tesla and wants the tax credit has no option but to get a loaner-- it should be a one-time shortage.

plus it's end of quarter, where they push really hard to sell the entire loaner fleet across the country and keep their sales numbers up.

Not sure that is the case. Norristown has only had one loaner since the last time I was in for service and that was a few months ago. These cars are just going to people that don't want to wait in line and want a discount. I have a feeling that this is the future of Tesla service.

Not sure that is the case. Norristown has only had one loaner since the last time I was in for service and that was a few months ago. These cars are just going to people that don't want to wait in line and want a discount. I have a feeling that this is the future of Tesla service.
I'm ok with that future :)
This problem might be resolved when tesla doubles their production capacity!

It really is quite disturbing (almost can't sleep at night because of this) that the Model S is so entirely popular and in such high demand that Tesla can't even keep a stock of a couple hundred loaners on hand, eh? It must be even more disturbing to most every other car manufacturer that they've got hundreds and thousands of unsold vehicles sitting on lots that they'll have to give away to get rid of.

I had a P85 loaner the first time I had a service call... back in June or so.

The subsequent two times (a few weeks ago in Novemeber, and right now), they have sold out their loaners, and I'm in an Enterprise car... which incidentally decided to dump all it's oil on my driveway last night and I'm currently awaiting a tow truck and replacement car.

My service center says they had several loaners, but the sales guys keep selling them... :)

Just set up an appointment at the Rockville MD SC and was told they have no loaners. Was not an issue since I'm having them pick up the car and have another car I can use.

But, it's been 8 months since their program announcement and they have gone backwards n their promises. It just goes to the credibility of the company and hurts their reputation. Especially when they make no comments about it.

I booked my Model S annual service over 6 weeks ahead of time, and specifically requested a P85+. Not a single Tesla loaner - Model S or Roadster. This was the week of Dec 17 at the Fremont service center - right at the factory! They are driving new cars out continuously. I offered to come back and swap my Enterprise rental for a P85+ during the other 3 days they had my car, and still no loaners.

Was at the White Plains SC last week for an appt made before thanksgiving. No loaner - was offered the Enterprise deal. Really didn't want to spend the time going to the Enterprise office to pick it up. Just had them drop me at the station and then had them drop the car off at home.

I too was a bit disappointed when my car went in for a new windshield and no loaner. They are trying to pump up the sales figures to end the year 2013 by selling just about everything they have. Too bad for those of us going in for service feel left out in the cold despite being told by Elon that we will have the P85+ loaners

They are trying to pump up the sales figures to end the year 2013 by selling just about everything they have.

Of course they are. They're making sure they hit their quarterly and yearly guidance, including 25% GM so they aren't ripped to shreds by that part of the world that feels the need to report on every fart and claim it was a nuclear explosion. They are also turning over their loaner fleet as they said they would from the very beginning with the oldest loaners being no more than 3 months of age. I suspect when there's no longer a battery constraint, Tesla will have more loaner vehicles available in general and can then effectively have new ones waiting to immediately replace those sold at the end of each quarter. Right now they don't even have enough batteries to keep up with new owner demand, let alone loaners as well. Frankly, I'm amazed they've managed to have loaners at all, even for short periods of time with not having enough batteries available. What an awesome problem to have, while the rest of the manufacturers are offering to all but give away their stock sitting on lots.

Too bad for those of us going in for service feel left out in the cold despite being told by Elon that we will have the P85+ loaners

They do have P85+ loaners, just not all the time. :wink: But you aren't being left out in the cold. Tesla still offers a loaner car or as some have said, to drop you off where you need to be and to bring you your car when it's done. Yes, I understand that's not what *you* (or some others) want, but there is it.