Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know, maybe it is different up here in the Great White North, but I've never in my life had a reason to fold my mirrors. I currently drive a 2012 Explorer and it's width is 90.2". I do park at malls and I have never in my life had a ding and I don't choose parking spots away from the crowds. My Civic got keyed once. I have a 2-car garage with 2 single overhead doors, and it is not an issue at all getting my beast in and out. I can totally see Europe having issues (I've driven around there a bit, that wouldn't be fun in most places). I guess living in the Prairies has it's advantages.

*edit: or maybe I'm just an awesome driver :biggrin:

Guess it never made my mind.....between my wife's car and the wall where I park in my garage is about 120 inches......parking space at work is typical size.....guess I never had the need to fold the mirrors....

If I don't fold the street side mirror on the Prius, I'll come out the next morning and find that it's been hit--and the Prius isn't all that wide. I would really like power folding mirrors. Better yet, they should automatically fold when the power is turned off.

The ELR is stunning. I have a 2010 Hybrid Escalade and it is one high-quality vehicle. If I back out of the Model S, for whatever reason, I would look hard at the ELR in a few years. I think I'll stick with the Model S, but the more alternative cars I see, the more I am starting to want more luxury amenities like those of a Cadallic. Lack of folding mirrors is a huge oversight or mistake by Tesla, IMO.

Also have a hybrid escalade and every day I am stunned at how luxurious the vehicle is. Especially the sound system at all volumes: low, medium, or high.

I couldn't agree with you more.

I actually prefer the ELR based on my experience with the Hybrid Escalade and its luxuriousness but just can't wait that long. So I'm getting the Model S.

All I want in a vehicle is: 1) at least 120mi EPA range (also, an ICE engine as a backup a la the Volt is a huge plus) 2) full, all-out luxury. These are the only two factors that are important to me and that's what I'll spend my money on. To me, the Model S has a 10/10 for range and a 7.25 / 10 for luxury.

I'm coming from a Prius and a Hybrid Escalade so obviously speed/performance isn't that much of a big deal for me. So I would definitely trade in a lot of Model S's acceleration/speed for a lot more luxury features.

To be sure, the Model S has a fun factor to it due to its performance. But I'd still take power folding mirrors and a better sounding stereo system in the Model S to be really completely satisfied.

Last edited:
If I don't fold the street side mirror on the Prius, I'll come out the next morning and find that it's been hit--and the Prius isn't all that wide. I would really like power folding mirrors. Better yet, they should automatically fold when the power is turned off.

Seriously? Wow, I thought Winnipeg drivers were bad... Do you not have driver tests in Florida? :wink:
it's probably the snowbirds

I don't know if this is still the case, but it used to be that the passenger side view mirror was not required by law. It would be cool if Tesla allowed you to keep that mirror folded in while driving to further reduce drag.

True, sort of. In most states a right side mirror is only required if the rear vision is blocked by tinting etc. In fact, most states allow "blacking out" of rear windows only if the vehicle has a right side mirror.

Tesla rep emailed me, and USA Model S Order page now also shows as part of Tech Package:

Power folding, heated side mirrors

It seems if Tesla adds such things without raising the price but charging high prices for retrofits (if at all--- most manufactures would not even offer this service) that they are encouraging early Tesla buyers to sell and re-buy the newer model.

Sigh, I have grown weary of reading about options that were not available when I bought my car. These are expected options in a 93k dollar car IMHO. I am happy they are improving the car but I shouldn't have to pay a crazy amount of money to get these retrofitted. First world problems I know.

The Model S will continue to evolve with added features just like all high-tech products. I contacted Tesla today and had the new mirrors added to my S85 which is scheduled for December delivery.

I like it Tesla does not wait for an artificial "model year" timeframe to add new features but adds them incrementally over time.

Last edited: