Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S, Model X, or Model Y?

Which one should I choose?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the response. Another question I have is it worth it to get a S90D over S75D even though the 90 batteries are known for worse degradation? There are a lot of 90D in the 53-58k range through Tesla.
I think the S90D, even with worse degradation, is worth it over the S75D. If a 90D had degraded 10% you're still at ~260mi which is what a brand new S75D is rated at. You'll never be sorry for having more range than you need.

Reactions: E Dizzle
Another factor in considering a 90 kWh Model S is that the V1 and V2 versions of the battery seem to be the most affected by the abnormal degradation. The V3 version of the 90 battery is better regarded but wasn’t made for a very long time - only after June 1, 2016 through the end of that year (when the “big” battery switched to the 100). Basically this corresponds to the facelift 90s, except a few months a facelift 90s were made with the V2 battery before they switched.

If you’re looking at used cars through Tesla, they will typically include a picture of this label, which includes the build month in the top left. Look for 6/16 or later to get a potentially more reliable 90 battery, although as @Tabascolorado said, even a degraded 90 can offer more range than a 75.

hope that’s not too much

A6DFD758-668D-43A1-868B-BD5B2A634F47.png

Another factor in considering a 90 kWh Model S is that the V1 and V2 versions of the battery seem to be the most affected by the abnormal degradation. The V3 version of the 90 battery is better regarded but wasn’t made for a very long time - only after June 1, 2016 through the end of that year (when the “big” battery switched to the 100). Basically this corresponds to the facelift 90s, except a few months a facelift 90s were made with the V2 battery before they switched.

If you’re looking at used cars through Tesla, they will typically include a picture of this label, which includes the build month in the top left. Look for 6/16 or later to get a potentially more reliable 90 battery, although as @Tabascolorado said, even a degraded 90 can offer more range than a 75.

hope that’s not too much

View attachment 489456

Thanks so much for the helpful information! It seems a used 90D built after 6/2016 is the way to go. Plus the 75D has a slightly longer charging times when I go on abetterrouteplanner for longer trips.

Here is our scenario. We are a family of 4 needing an EV next spring until the Cybertruck comes out late 2021, about 18 months. We preordered the dual motor with FSD. Our Ioniq hybrid's lease ends in April 2020 and we want to go electric!

So my thinking is I don't want to spend more than $60-65k. That leaves me with 3 choices that have enough cargo space for our family, the Model S is the smallest we could go.

2020 Model Y- new technology, but big hit on depreciation in 18 months

2016 Model S- AP1, depreciation would be less

2016 Model X- AP1, always wanted one, depreciation would be less

I'd love any suggestions/advice. Thanks!

I’d skip the FSD on the Cybertruck.

FSD promises are made, not as often kept.

I have FSD on my S. I don’t let it park itself, I don’t quite trust it. As far as changing lanes automatically on autopilot, it wants to change lanes far more often than I would so I don’t use that. Next, there’s the picking you up across the parking lot. I’ve used it a few times but last time it started heading in the wrong direction so that’s not something I use either. We’re left with automatically taking the exit and I don’t use that either.

You get the automatic steering and the automatic speed control without the FSD. That’s the gem.

So that should cut your cost by $7k. More than that, you’ll pay tax on the $7K FSD so that’s another $600 or so. If you find I’ve led you horribly astray, you’ll be able to add FSD later if you want. Meanwhile there is a Nova program on full self driving, that’s worth watching.

FSD was billed as taking you from start to finish without user intervention. It’s always a year away. I’ll wager a fine bottle of single malt that you won’t see that in the 5-10 years you’ll likely keep the truck. So the $7K is a donation to Tesla and the $600 is a gift to your state government.

Best,
David

I’d skip the FSD on the Cybertruck.

FSD promises are made, not as often kept.

I have FSD on my S. I don’t let it park itself, I don’t quite trust it. As far as changing lanes automatically on autopilot, it wants to change lanes far more often than I would so I don’t use that. Next, there’s the picking you up across the parking lot. I’ve used it a few times but last time it started heading in the wrong direction so that’s not something I use either. We’re left with automatically taking the exit and I don’t use that either.

You get the automatic steering and the automatic speed control without the FSD. That’s the gem.

So that should cut your cost by $7k. More than that, you’ll pay tax on the $7K FSD so that’s another $600 or so. If you find I’ve led you horribly astray, you’ll be able to add FSD later if you want. Meanwhile there is a Nova program on full self driving, that’s worth watching.

FSD was billed as taking you from start to finish without user intervention. It’s always a year away. I’ll wager a fine bottle of single malt that you won’t see that in the 5-10 years you’ll likely keep the truck. So the $7K is a donation to Tesla and the $600 is a gift to your state government.

Best,
David

Good points. Thanks for the feedback!

Currently we go once a month on a 300 mile roundtrip to Phoenix. Next year we plan on a 2400 mile trip to Houston. We probably do one big trip a year.
You'll be fine with either a 75D or 90D. Certain years of the 90D have batteries that degraded faster than usual. I don't know which specific years. The 75D battery is solid though. So either one would be good, but obviously a 90D will be slightly better if you stay away from the ones with degradation issues.

• Helpful
Reactions: E Dizzle