Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S P100D becomes world's fastest car from Dec update !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ah, well this helps answer the "where does it overheat" conversation we were having above...

TeslaTemps.png

Reactions: bhzmark and X-Auto
Tesla is an amazing car, but for now don't make it sound like its better than the best hyper/super cars out there.

"best" is subjective. ;)

yes, we know over 100 MPH it cannot hang with supercars. unless you are on a track, i would advice against starting a race from a 100mph roll, though. the Model S is not a track car, it's a daily driver (that can beat Lamborghinis in a drag race).

Reactions: Aieukl378
Because Tesla limit the power before the heat breaks the motor so it should not happen and you guys in the US drive slow maybe ;) The contactor/fuse have still melted on many Model s and the car have stopped on the side of the road with no power. On my and a friends P85D it has melted one time already. And I know of one that have it replaced three times now.

When driving on the autobahn at high speed you will hit the power limit every day.

The ludicrous battery are much better. The old melt fuse is really bad when the car is driven with high power over time.
I believe your anomalies listed and examples given aren't what would be considered the "norm" for any Tesla owner. Putting a brick on the accelerator of an ICE car for too long would - in many cases - produce the same result. Answer - Don't do that.

Are we talking about Teslas getting hot? Or are we talking about "overheating"? The faster you go....the warmer your vehicle is going to get - that's true with EV's as well as ICE.

I believe your anomalies listed and examples given aren't what would be considered the "norm" for any Tesla owner. Putting a brick on the accelerator of an ICE car for too long would - in many cases - produce the same result. Answer - Don't do that.

I have never driven a factory sports car that has shutdown because it overheated. So I don't know which ICE cars you are talking about.

Doing what you described would only cause you to run out of gas in a very short timeframe.

Stop trying to make like everything that happens on a Tesla also happens on a ICE because it does not. Just like something's will never happen on a Tesla that would on a ICE.

Reactions: Cloxxki
I have never driven a factory sports car that has shutdown because it overheated. So I don't know which ICE cars you are talking about.

Doing what you described would only cause you to run out of gas in a very short timeframe.

Stop trying to make like everything that happens on a Tesla also happens on a ICE because it does not. Just like something's will never happen on a Tesla that would on a ICE.
First of all... I didn't say that EVERYTHING that happens on a Tesla that happens on an ICE car. Please find my quote and reply.

Secondly, I said that if you floored an ICE car for an extended period of time it will get hot. I also mentioned that if you floored an EV for an extended period of time....it will also get hot.

Question: Aren't we talking about overheating? Neither car above would overheat....however they would get hot and that is expected.

I choose my words carefully...so read them carefully.

What would it take to get most of the power reduction from stator heat out of the equation?
Just throwing some wild ideas out there.

A stator with simply twice the mass? +50kg motor for the motor?
Or re-engineering the liquid cooling, investing something like 50kg extra?
Somehow much more refined heat dissipation?
Silver heat sinks rather than aluminium? 3x as heavy by volume, but it might help
Simply swap to a longer gear ratio? An X RWD can tow, so why couldn't an AWD S have a longer gear to reduce rpm when lapping 100mph average? In a longer race situation, few 0-X dashes happen anyway.

It'd really like to see what the Model S cars could do with enhanced motors. Not like an ICE tuner job, but a heat dissipation or even prevention measure. How would that change the dotted line experience when truly pushing the car?

What would it take to get most of the power reduction from stator heat out of the equation?
Just throwing some wild ideas out there.

A stator with simply twice the mass? +50kg motor for the motor?
Or re-engineering the liquid cooling, investing something like 50kg extra?
Somehow much more refined heat dissipation?
Silver heat sinks rather than aluminium? 3x as heavy by volume, but it might help
Simply swap to a longer gear ratio? An X RWD can tow, so why couldn't an AWD S have a longer gear to reduce rpm when lapping 100mph average? In a longer race situation, few 0-X dashes happen anyway.

It'd really like to see what the Model S cars could do with enhanced motors. Not like an ICE tuner job, but a heat dissipation or even prevention measure. How would that change the dotted line experience when truly pushing the car?

Actually I don't think its necessary. I don't think its worth any funding or R&D. I don't believe there is enough of a concern across the board.

First of all... I didn't say that EVERYTHING that happens on a Tesla that happens on an ICE car. Please find my quote and reply.

Secondly, I said that if you floored an ICE car for an extended period of time it will get hot. I also mentioned that if you floored an EV for an extended period of time....it will also get hot.

Question: Aren't we talking about overheating? Neither car above would overheat....however they would get hot and that is expected.

I choose my words carefully...so read them carefully.

I read you words carefully maybe you didn't read what you replied too.

He stated that the contactor melted. It didn't melt because it got warm. It overheated.

And Tesla do overheated, that's why it limits power when it overheated to let it cool down before some of the components fail.

In day to day driving you will never hit this limitation.

I read you words carefully maybe you didn't read what you replied too.

He stated that the contactor melted. It didn't melt because it got warm. It overheated.

And Tesla do overheated, that's why it limits power when it overheated to let it cool down before some of the components fail.

In day to day driving you will never hit this limitation.
So..........really?

Teslas limits their power to keep from it overheating yet it overheated? Got it. That makes sense. LOL

Lastly...no you didn't read my quote properly because you didn't quote me properly.

Hi Again,

Elon Musk just disclosed the new Easter Egg which will give Model S a new performance boost that will enable it to go from 0 - 60 mph in just 2.4 secs that's faster than the Bugatti Veyron & Porsche 918 Spyder, actually the fastest production car in the world at the time... so what's the future of ICE Manufacturers and Vehicles? what they gonna brag about?

View attachment 202751

Look at the comparison chart. If interested read more: Elon's 'P100D Easter Egg' Makes Model S The Fastest Production Car Ever

OP please change your title to worlds quickest not fastest. There is a big difference.

It's a dumb distinction that does not have a basis in linguistics or the history of English. It's just butthurt ICE fans moving the goalposts pretending "fast" has always referred to top speed. It hasn't. That's revisionist history. The truth is 0-60 and quarter mile are the primary performance benchmarks sports cars have always been judged by ... until Tesla came along and now nobody wants to talk about them anymore, haha.
It's really quite simple. "Quick" refers to time, while "Fast" refers to velocity. Time and velocity are not the same, and this certainly does have basis in both linguistics and physics.

OP please change your title to worlds quickest not fastest. There is a big difference.

It's really quite simple. "Quick" refers to time, while "Fast" refers to velocity. Time and velocity are not the same, and this certainly does have basis in both linguistics and physics.

Nope, you're both wrong. Quick and fast are synonyms. pretending "quick" refers exclusively to acceleration and "fast" refers exclusively to velocity is a fiction and has no basis in historical usages of those words. Feel free to check a thesaurus or a dictionary. In fact, I think this made-up distinction that has suddenly become a major talking point is mainly due to the Tesla's success at building cars with fast acceleration.

From google:

quick
kwik/
adjective
  1. 1.
    moving fast or doing something in a short time.
    "some children are particularly quick learners"
    synonyms: fast, swift, rapid, speedy, high-speed, breakneck, expeditious, brisk, smart; More

2. 2.
    (of a person) prompt to understand, think, or learn; intelligent.
    "it was quick of him to spot the mistake"
    synonyms: intelligent, bright, clever, gifted, able, astute, quick-witted, sharp-witted, smart; More
adverb
informal
  1. 1.
    at a fast rate; quickly.
    "he'll find some place where he can make money quicker"

Well, there's your problem, Pezpunk: reliance on teh googs for definitions. No way you really think this just comes down to semantics ;)

I'm gonna stay in the "quick is objectively different from fast" camp, no matter what Alphabet says. But I will admit: quick things are usually fast. wallet.dat nailed it though: fast refers to velocity. The 0-60 mph standard refers to the time is takes for vehicle to achieve a common velocity.

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark and X-Auto
Nope, you're both wrong. Quick and fast are synonyms. pretending "quick" refers exclusively to acceleration and "fast" refers exclusively to velocity is a fiction and has no basis in historical usages of those words. Feel free to check a thesaurus or a dictionary. In fact, I think this made-up distinction that has suddenly become a major talking point is mainly due to the Tesla's success at building cars with fast acceleration.

From google:

quick
kwik/
adjective
  1. 1.
    moving fast or doing something in a short time.
    "some children are particularly quick learners"
    synonyms: fast, swift, rapid, speedy, high-speed, breakneck, expeditious, brisk, smart; More

2. 2.
    (of a person) prompt to understand, think, or learn; intelligent.
    "it was quick of him to spot the mistake"
    synonyms: intelligent, bright, clever, gifted, able, astute, quick-witted, sharp-witted, smart; More
adverb
informal
  1. 1.
    at a fast rate; quickly.
    "he'll find some place where he can make money quicker"

Love Ya !

Reactions: bhzmark