Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S P100D mph charging rate with the included 32 amp cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello fellow model S P100D and 100D owners with with newer 32 amp charging cable. The Tesla Charging Chart says: The supplied 32 amp cable will give a 23 mph charging rate when plugged into a NEMA 14-50 240V outlet. I am getting 21 mph or at best 22 mph charging rate. I would like to know what mph charging rate other Model S owners are getting with this new lower amperage 32 amp charging cable?

If your model S P100D or 100D came with a 40 amp charging cable, I would like to know the mph charging rate your getting with the 40 amp cable as well. The Tesla Charging Chart says: The supplied 40 amp cable will give a 29 mph charging rate when plugged into a NEMA 14-50 240V outlet. Thanks

This is a function of your supply voltage, not the mobile connector itself. It’s normal. Don’t obsess.

What is the indicated voltage when charging at 32 amps? If it’s dipping into the 230s, your charge rate will be a little lower (power = volts x amps). Since the UMC maxes out at 32 amps no matter the voltage, if the voltage is a bit below the reference 240v, your charge rate will slow down somewhat.

You should be getting close to 29 mph (starting). There are a couple of things to check: 1. Be sure circuit supplying the 14-50 is on a 50 AMP breaker -- meaning it is a circuit and wiring are rated at a max continuous current of 40 Amps (80% of the rated circuit -- if the voltage is dropping, the wiring or connections may be under-rated). 2. Be sure your charge amount in the S is set at the 32 AMP setting; 3. Lastly, the current will diminish as the battery nears 70% State of Charge. So the battery will not charge at 32 amps if the battery is nearing capacity -- it will gradually slow the near to "full" the battery gets.

You should be getting close to 29 mph (starting). There are a couple of things to check: 1. Be sure circuit supplying the 14-50 is on a 50 AMP breaker -- meaning it is a circuit and wiring are rated at a max continuous current of 40 Amps (80% of the rated circuit -- if the voltage is dropping, the wiring or connections may be under-rated). 2. Be sure your charge amount in the S is set at the 32 AMP setting; 3. Lastly, the current will diminish as the battery nears 70% State of Charge. So the battery will not charge at 32 amps if the battery is nearing capacity -- it will gradually slow the near to "full" the battery gets.

Almost everything stated in this post is wrong.

The new gen2 UMC will not give you anywhere near 29 miles/hr. The OP’s rate of 23mph at 240v is correct.

The battery will charge at the full rate supplied by the 32 amp UMC well past 95% state of charge. It only slows down at the very tip top of the charge.

The new gen2 UMC will not give you anywhere near 29 miles/hr. The OP’s rate of 23mph at 240v is correct.

The battery will charge at the full rate supplied by the 32 amp UMC well past 95% state of charge. It only slows down at the very tip top of the charge.

Correct, although saying it in a more kindly manner wouldn't hurt anything!

This is a function of your supply voltage, not the mobile connector itself. It’s normal. Don’t obsess.

What is the indicated voltage when charging at 32 amps? If it’s dipping into the 230s, your charge rate will be a little lower (power = volts x amps). Since the UMC maxes out at 32 amps no matter the voltage, if the voltage is a bit below the reference 240v, your charge rate will slow down somewhat.
The car automatically switches to 32 amps and the available voltage reading is between 240-243 yet I am only getting 21-22 mph charge rate with the 32 amp cable. What charge rate are you getting? Thanks

The car automatically switches to 32 amps and the available voltage reading is between 240-243, yet I am only getting 21-22 mph charge rate with the 32 amp cable and 27-28 with the 40 amp cable. What charge rate are you getting?

Battery is at 50%, Available voltage is 240-243. Amperage settings are correct. Yet I am getting 21-22 with the 32A cable and 27-28 mph with 40A cable. What are you getting with your car?

Let me explain a little further: I just traded in a Model S 85 D two weeks ago for a Model S P100D. With a 40 amp cable the 85D charged at 30 mph under the same conditions, my new P100D charges at 27-28 mph with the 40 amp cable.

Let me explain a little further: I just traded in a Model S 85 D two weeks ago for a Model S P100D. With a 40 amp cable the 85D charged at 30 mph under the same conditions, my new P100D charges at 27-28 mph with the 40 amp cable.

The miles per hour rating is impacted by the rated consumption of the particular model. The P100D is less efficient than the 85D, therefore it gains fewer “miles per hour” at identical charging rates.

Are you certain about that?
Of course. That’s why different models get different “miles per hour” on the same charging equipment. For example, a model X gets fewer miles per hour than a model S on the same HPWC at the same power.

Same is true for different sub models. The P100D is less efficient than the 75D or 100D, so it sees fewer usable miles per the same amount of input power.

As I said, the only meaningful variables are volts and amps. A kilowatt is a kilowatt. Miles per hour is simply an extrapolation from those two numbers based on the consumption of a particular model. You seem to be concerned that something is wrong with your car or UMC. I assure you that’s not the case.