Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Brakes Are Terrible!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I might go with Unplugged and the main reason is because it will the 19" wheels. Also, it offers the biggest weight savings and I might track my car maybe once or twice in a year. If I end up going to 20" I will sell the Unplugged's and go to MPP's. Will you guys change the rear pads too? My understanding is that the compound should match but I am not sure how will that be possible since the offerings are so limited right now.

Looks like RB has the most comprehensive package - multiple options

MPP is just front rotors - was hoping for a consistent front / rear kit - looks are important too, not just bias :)

UP has a very inviting kit too but almost double cost of RB’s 380/365 rotor / pad set. But thats consistent for UP's pricing strategy

Last edited:
Reactions: sflgator
I think I might go with Unplugged and the main reason is because it will the 19" wheels. Also, it offers the biggest weight savings and I might track my car maybe once or twice in a year. If I end up going to 20" I will sell the Unplugged's and go to MPP's. Will you guys change the rear pads too? My understanding is that the compound should match but I am not sure how will that be possible since the offerings are so limited right now.

Well I end up ordering the MPP rotors. If my incoming 19" Chinese forged wheels do not work, I guess I will be getting new wheels haha.

• Funny
Reactions: impastu
I'd just like to try some good quality pads on the OE rotors. This may all come down to pads for a simple daily driver.

Someone should definitely try a more "performance" oriented pad and report back.

If the comfort pad covers ~90% of plaid owners, a performance pad might cover 50%+ of the rest. For the remainder (maybe a majority of people reading this thread!) who want to use the car on track need track pads but also other upgrades.

Multiple options keep coming. I am aware that Essex racing is working on an AP set up, but they have not listed it their website yet, but in email they said it would be soon and on the website you can select 2021 and Tesla model S becomes an option but the page is blank.

The unplugged Large sweep package is very interesting. They are 34 mm wide as opposed to 32mm. They do keep the 380mm outer diameter, but the large sweep results in a significant difference as shown below where I have calculated the rotor surface area of all options:

Total diam in mmtotal area (mm2)hub (mm2)rotor surface area
OEM/RacingBrake
380​
453645.596​
202682.8204​
250963​
mm2
Racingbrake
390​
477835.839​
202682.8204​
275153​
mm2
MPP
400​
502654.4​
202682.8204​
299972​
mm2
Racingbrake
410​
528101.279​
202682.8204​
325418​
mm2
Racingbrake w calipers
432​
586296.0922​
202682.8204​
383613​
mm2
Unplugged
380​
503546.6116​
182597.1355​
320949​
mm2
Essex AP racing????

The unplugged 380mm large sweep rotor is the equivalent of a 408.25mm rotor and has the larger area for the pad to rotor ratio, but allows 19" wheels if needed.

With regards to the above options, PFC and AP racing are by far the largest names in motor sport. These were used by professional race teams across all areas of racing.

Based on this, and definitely leaning to the Unplugged PFC large sweep package, but will wait until the Essex AP options are announced. I assume that they will be offering their Radi-CAL calipers as they offer on the Tesla model 3 package. These are essentially the best in the business and used by all levels of motorsport, but are expensive. I suspect they will be above $6000 for the fronts,

Multiple options keep coming. I am aware that Essex racing is working on an AP set up, but they have not listed it their website yet, but in email they said it would be soon and on the website you can select 2021 and Tesla model S becomes an option but the page is blank.

The unplugged Large sweep package is very interesting. They are 34 mm wide as opposed to 32mm. They do keep the 380mm outer diameter, but the large sweep results in a significant difference as shown below where I have calculated the rotor surface area of all options:

Total diam in mmtotal area (mm2)hub (mm2)rotor surface area
OEM/RacingBrake
380​
453645.596​
202682.8204​
250963​
mm2
Racingbrake
390​
477835.839​
202682.8204​
275153​
mm2
MPP
400​
502654.4​
202682.8204​
299972​
mm2
Racingbrake
410​
528101.279​
202682.8204​
325418​
mm2
Racingbrake w calipers
432​
586296.0922​
202682.8204​
383613​
mm2
Unplugged
380​
503546.6116​
182597.1355​
320949​
mm2
Essex AP racing????

The unplugged 380mm large sweep rotor is the equivalent of a 408.25mm rotor and has the larger area for the pad to rotor ratio, but allows 19" wheels if needed.

With regards to the above options, PFC and AP racing are by far the largest names in motor sport. These were used by professional race teams across all areas of racing.

Based on this, and definitely leaning to the Unplugged PFC large sweep package, but will wait until the Essex AP options are announced. I assume that they will be offering their Radi-CAL calipers as they offer on the Tesla model 3 package. These are essentially the best in the business and used by all levels of motorsport, but are expensive. I suspect they will be above $6000 for the fronts,

Fronts only or fronts/rears?

Yeah agreed - but realistically if you want road course capable brakes on this car comfort in autopilot mode likely isn't a top priority haha.

That product desire for comfort has to be why the car has the brakes it has (and the expectation that there was going to be a "+" to sell.) When they offer track mode (and accompanying 'track' pads maybe) I'm wondering if they will adjust the modeling for the pad friction co-eff to make it work a bit better. If the 3 is any guide, they won't.
It's not a big deal and I'd take more confident braking any time. Track mode doesn't do anything special about brakes except brake temperature warning becomes useless.

Understood. Debating pads, front BBK, front/rear BBK.

How would Plaid do on a a Porsche brake torture test?

It would 100% suck, because it is not designed for that test. This is the thing, from the article:

It seems a little funny given that, in normal daily driving, those giant brakes might almost never be activated, thanks to the car's regen capabilities.

From a product perspective if 90% of the people will not use that capacity, why do it? Their product philosophy is to offer the performance even if almost no-one will use it.

With Tesla's product perspective it makes no sense to meet that test. Which is fine - the few of us that want to make the car work in that context can work with engineering firms and manufacturers and make it happen (I hope!)

Reactions: impastu
It's not a big deal and I'd take more confident braking any time. Track mode doesn't do anything special about brakes except brake temperature warning becomes useless.
Right I wasn't clear there. I think the proposed idea is to do the opposite - be able to adjust the expected decel parameters for braking when outside of track mode using 'track pack' pads released alongside it that are not as low friction. Again, I don't think they will do this, too much engineering effort for little return when they are working on CT release.

It would 100% suck, because it is not designed for that test. This is the thing, from the article:

It seems a little funny given that, in normal daily driving, those giant brakes might almost never be activated, thanks to the car's regen capabilities.

From a product perspective if 90% of the people will not use that capacity, why do it? Their product philosophy is to offer the performance even if almost no-one will use it.

With Tesla's product perspective it makes no sense to meet that test. Which is fine - the few of us that want to make the car work in that context can work with engineering firms and manufacturers and make it happen (I hope!)

By that standard, what percentage of people use airbags? 0.001% but it's still important to have them.

I prefer Porsche's philosophy of over-designed rather than the opposite, which is why pretty much everyone who drives a Plaid after pickup is wary of the brakes. Is this why we aren't allowed test drives?? You'd think that pretty much anyone at Tesla would know the brake design is somehow flawed, and should be revised. Who is responsible for this design decision? I doubt it was an engineer.

Tesla is a trillion dollar company now, and I think it's fair to hold them to a higher standard now compared to 2012 or 2013.