Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Brakes Are Terrible!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Anyone have any ideas or experience with this kit?
Unplugged has that experience, apparently on a Pikes Peak. I would most certainly install that.

I would follow up advice and make sure that cables and piping is in reflective thermoprotective sleeves. Burning plastic away without dust shields is quite easy - hot rotors easily cook plastic with infrared radiation.

Reactions: impastu
Reactions: impastu and Mash
No, I think the solution is a big brake kit......which should come with the car to begin with. If you're going to go fast, you have to be able to stop fast. Even on my old P90D, the brakes are inadequate.
They are now offering a track brake package for a mere $20K. I agree though, My 300C SRT8 had better brakes than my Plaid. Also, because I know it, I try to drive accordingly and not "over drive" the brakes.

Reactions: oktane and impastu
They have some prototype 3-d renderings of this kit on their instagram/Facebook feed
So it's a 2 inch ducting with proper front intakes. Not huge, but much better than nothing and there is always space issue to route full size ducts. The main benefit though is from properly designed adapter that can deliver higher pressure air to the center of rotors. Universal solutions are usually much worse than those built with dedicated rotor hats.

Screenshot_20211212-121758_Instagram.png

This is a good example of tight fit duct adapter with 3 inch duct.
brakes_e46_backingplate_installed_lg_2048x2048.jpeg

3e75-IMG_6334-0-1-1000x667w.jpg

I really hope that Unplugged would consider making behind the wheel hub full enclosure for their own steel/carbon rotor hats with integrated heatshield. That would be a good track solution that also fits 18/19 tires.

Last edited:
So it's a 2 inch ducting with proper front intakes. Not huge, but much better than nothing and there is always space issue to route full size ducts. The main benefit though is from properly designed adapter that can deliver higher pressure air to the center of rotors. Universal solutions are usually much worse than those built with dedicated rotor hats.

View attachment 743449

This is a good example of tight fit duct adapter with 3 inch duct.
View attachment 743450
View attachment 743451

I really hope that Unplugged would consider making behind the wheel hub full enclosure for their own steel/carbon rotor hats with integrated heatshield. That would be a good track solution that also fits 18/19 tires.

We've built and run ducts similar in design to these on other cars, and are thinking about it with MPP on the Plaid (including ducting fresh air from the nose. The challenge seems to be the there isn't a ton of room in there based on maximizing tire width, including replacing all the suspension arms to increase adjustability. Our application may be fine without them, but if we can figure out how to fit it in this is a significant upgrade for road course use for sure.

From a product perspective (for MPP or UP or anyone else) there's so many variations in calipers, rotors, suspension etc. that it's hard to make a product that will work successfully for enough people to make it worthwhile. Good news is that it's not that hard of a piece to make if someone wants to try themselves.

We've built and run ducts similar in design to these on other cars, and are thinking about it with MPP on the Plaid (including ducting fresh air from the nose. The challenge seems to be the there isn't a ton of room in there based on maximizing tire width, including replacing all the suspension arms to increase adjustability. Our application may be fine without them, but if we can figure out how to fit it in this is a significant upgrade for road course use for sure.

From a product perspective (for MPP or UP or anyone else) there's so many variations in calipers, rotors, suspension etc. that it's hard to make a product that will work successfully for enough people to make it worthwhile. Good news is that it's not that hard of a piece to make if someone wants to try themselves.
I believe that ducts should come as an option to the specific brakes kit. And hub should be inside the shroud.

Anyone have any ideas or experience with this kit?
only if you track the car - even UP says this is a track only upgrade.

i know we dont talk about efficiency here :) , but this will increase your wh/mile - its like having two mini parachutes on the car unless you close the ducts for daily driving.

Last edited:

i know we dont talk about efficiency here :) , but this will increase your wh/mile - its like having two mini parachutes on the car unless you close the ducts for daily driving.
are we sure about this "drag" comment? How much does the UP duct simply redirect airflow to the brakes vs. stock air flow? But in concert with your concerns, one could be concerned about these UP air ducts being detrimental to battery life in extreme ambient environments because presumably the stock airflow is focused on battery conditioning?

Reactions: FlatSix911
are we sure about this "drag" comment? How much does the UP duct simply redirect airflow to the brakes vs. stock air flow? But in concert with your concerns, one could be concerned about these UP air ducts being detrimental to battery life in extreme ambient environments because presumably the stock airflow is focused on battery conditioning?
yes, but the cutouts here are made to either side of the existing vents - there is space there. no impact to anything else...

i didnt want to talk about "drag" here because of some millennial here who woulda debated endlessly about the definition of drag. :)

yes, but the cutouts here are made to either side of the existing vents - there is space there. no impact to anything else...

i didnt want to talk about "drag" here because of some millennial here who woulda debated endlessly about the definition of drag. :)
Yes, track requirements are different than hyper-miling needs. The package comes with covers for the hyper-milers who are also racers.

They do not state that on their website for the product.

Website also states there are covers to eliminate range effects for long distance driving.

I would use these on the street all of the time, and put the covers on for drives on the highway.

Last edited:

I call BS on the drag comment. YMMV;)

Negligible impact redirecting the airflow.

Drag would be minimal, but getting excessive amount of small stones stucking in rotor vents is not ideal, so if I was UP, I would add an option to put a filter cap, rather than blocking cap. Filter would impact cooling, but not too much (at the end of the day, front radiators are completely exposed to all flying debris).

Filter is also not bad at stopping massive splashes of water coming in from the rain all of the sudden.

Btw, ducts also a legitimate way to power mist some water in the ducts to significantly improve cooling. For those who afraid that doing this in the rotor itself is somehow dangerous.

Last edited: