Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Brakes Are Terrible!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I know I can only use their pads but I assume the pad will last around 3 years the time that I will probably keep my car for lol on the rear I am staying with the stock rotors.
TBH the stock rear rotors look ugly... not like the deep blue rotor hat of the giros that matchhes my MSM paint quite well :) actually thats the only real reason I'm doing the rears too :)

The 400mm rotors from MPP will not fit my forged 19" wheels I think. I wanted to get the Unplugged ones since they have a larger annulus and a calculated rotor size of 408mm with big weight savings. I ordered the rotors on December 18th lol.

We heard you guys loud and clear early on when you were concerned about 19" wheels - that's why we also have the OE sized front rotors available!

We heard you guys loud and clear early on when you were concerned about 19" wheels - that's why we also have the OE sized front rotors available!

Woohoo. What pads?
I second that question!

Another option. They say that they are as light as carbon ceramics with the same benefits but much cheaper. Orbis rotors $1500 for the front rotors for the Plaid:

NASA and Orbis Engineer Brakes Cool Enough for the Tesla Model S Plaid
Very Cool Engineering... no pun intended. ;) Thanks for sharing.

1646984763269.png

1646984734840.png

1646984703467.png

The giros showed up yesterday. I was shocked at the number of curved vanes compared to stock, or even the images of kits I’ve seen on racingbrake or unplugged . This is some serious fan cooling power. Also explains why the weight on the 2 piece giros isn’t as low as RB or unplugged.

Now to install and test.

• Love
Reactions: impastu
The "new" inside out approach has been used in aircraft brakes for a very long time :). I guess it is "new" to cars.

On aircraft, the rotors are simply hand aligned with the wheel ID when installing the wheel without need to hydraulically lock the rotor with the caliper.

Here is some wheel/brakes used on a Pipistrel LSA I had many years back.

1647000542203.png

Here is the way other end of the spectrum. It is fun to align all those disk drive lugs with multiple disks.

1647000679924.png

Last edited:
The giros showed up yesterday. I was shocked at the number of curved vanes compared to stock, or even the images of kits I’ve seen on racingbrake or unplugged . This is some serious fan cooling power. Also explains why the weight on the 2 piece giros isn’t as low as RB or unplugged.

Now to install and test.
Looking forward to your impressions!

Now to install and test.
Enjoy! The curved vanes are awesome and certainly an underrated feature. Looking forward to your feedback!

interestingly, a couple of the high caliber brake shops in the Atlanta area refused to install them - they said they cant have warranty issues with their install. Do you have an authorized installed in Atlanta?
Sounds to me like they want to be the ones selling you the parts.

We don't have many customers in Atlanta so the only feedback I have gotten is for Monster Customs: 770-420-0002 [email protected]

Glad I don't drive so crazy that I need to spend another few thousand bucks upgrading my brakes. My car seems to stop without trouble, and coupled with regen, it does it quickly, smoothly, and quietly. Now, if you have to drive over the speed limit and come roaring up (sorry, that's those other cars; I meant "quietly zipping up") to a light, of course you'll need monster brakes. As for me, my regen easily brings me to a near stop so I can just touch the brakes to complete it. My brake pads and disks will outlast the car. Never met a hot-rodder who wanted to drag race me to see how fast I could STOP.

Glad I don't drive so crazy that I need to spend another few thousand bucks upgrading my brakes. My car seems to stop without trouble, and coupled with regen, it does it quickly, smoothly, and quietly. Now, if you have to drive over the speed limit and come roaring up (sorry, that's those other cars; I meant "quietly zipping up") to a light, of course you'll need monster brakes. As for me, my regen easily brings me to a near stop so I can just touch the brakes to complete it. My brake pads and disks will outlast the car. Never met a hot-rodder who wanted to drag race me to see how fast I could STOP.
Excellent points :) sometimes i think people confuse the cars. my 2015 model S was a totally different car compared to a 2020 model S, compared to a 2022 model S.

something that worked well on the 2015 and possibly the 2020 S but not on the 2022 is the issue here!

Completely unnecessary for legal street driving. A must for any kind of road course racing. Optional for people who want their rotors to complement their open spoked forged wheels.

I recently had my racingbrake 432 kit installed and did some "street test" seems great improvement and the consistency, the pedal feels, and braking power even without the ss brakes line. (brake lines are back ordered, blaming on the same old covid). I am not an expert in this but will test at a higher speed once there are no cops around on the highway. They do look super sweet with the 21rims.

Attachments

• RB rear.jpg
    RB rear.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 114
  • RB front.jpg
    RB front.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Oem brakes.jpg
    Oem brakes.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Rough look.jpg
    Rough look.jpg