Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Brakes Are Terrible!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just installed MPP brake cylinder brace today. Once I had the correct e-torx socket the installation took approximately 30 minutes as stated in the instructions. More importantly, the improvement in brake feel under firm-to-hard braking was significant. Highly recommended.

This clearly will not improve rotor overheating under heavy driving / track conditions, but I was very happy to finally have a firm, confident feel under the ball of my fight foot.

Just installed MPP brake cylinder brace today. Once I had the correct e-torx socket the installation took approximately 30 minutes as stated in the instructions. More importantly, the improvement in brake feel under firm-to-hard braking was significant. Highly recommended.

This clearly will not improve rotor overheating under heavy driving / track conditions, but I was very happy to finally have a firm, confident feel under the ball of my fight foot.

Have you modified your retention clips?

Reactions: impastu

I was under the impression that hard braking was a doo doo. At least that’s what my safety score has led me to believe!

I recall that was mentioned as a tip somewhere back in the thread but didn't really pay attention. Please point me in right direction if people have found benefit.
From the Mountain Pass website: It should be noted that this product only offers a meaningful improvement in the brake feel if the pads are staying seated against the rotors. The OEM front calipers on the Model S have anti-rattle clips that appear to significantly pull the pads away from the caliper, and this must first be addressed before any improvement from firewall flex would be noticed!

From the Mountain Pass website: It should be noted that this product only offers a meaningful improvement in the brake feel if the pads are staying seated against the rotors. The OEM front calipers on the Model S have anti-rattle clips that appear to significantly pull the pads away from the caliper, and this must first be addressed before any improvement from firewall flex would be noticed!
They don't mention the clips are there for efficiency. Having the pads against the rotors gives a little drag.

I'll look for those when I change over to the summer tires. Regardless of what MPP posted, I noticed a significant difference when hard braking. Unclear to me why the retention clips would interfere with the effectiveness of the cylinder brace. I can imagine that removing the retainer clips will improve brake feel under moderate conditions regardless of the cylinder brace.

I'll look for those when I change over to the summer tires. Regardless of what MPP posted, I noticed a significant difference when hard braking. Unclear to me why the retention clips would interfere with the effectiveness of the cylinder brace. I can imagine that removing the retainer clips will improve brake feel under moderate conditions regardless of the cylinder brace.
Because there’s a half inch off pedal travel to close the gap. Does make sense that it would feel firm after that on hard braking, which is why I asked the question.

Because there’s a half inch off pedal travel to close the gap. Does make sense that it would feel firm after that on hard braking, which is why I asked the question.
Given I'm not (yet) tracking the plaid, hard braking is just about the only scenario for me employing the brakes. I can see why brake travel and feel improvement for all states of application is important for track days and even intensely spirited road driving when deceleration predictability is most crucial.

Given I'm not (yet) tracking the plaid, hard braking is just about the only scenario for me employing the brakes. I can see why brake travel and feel improvement for all states of application is important for track days and even intensely spirited road driving when deceleration predictability is most crucial.
I have the trailing arms, toe arms, and brace on order. I have the easy big fella and matching rear rotors on the car but with the stock pads.

I have the trailing arms, toe arms, and brace on order. I have the easy big fella and matching rear rotors on the car but with the stock pads.
please share updates on the suspension mods. I've made some high speed carving maneuvers and the traction was sure-footed but the steering feedback relative to the chassis movement was not exactly well coordinated. Maybe these upgrades will improve the feel and feedback.

Reactions: Bull