Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Brakes Are Terrible!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan on removing my Heat Shields entirely rather than cutting them.. Im down in Florida so its a non issue.. I really dont think it will affect much unless you drive in mud and rocks a lot regardless of where you live. As for the speed sensor, simply wrap it in aluminum heat wrap.. I bought some off amazon. Then you can keep your factory shields without modifying them, get the best heat reduction and have no worries..
I removed my shields front and rear. No issues.

I guess that you drive relatively calm. Without heat shields or heat wrapping, it melts rubber and wheel sensor insulation just with a radiation from rotors.
You’re right. I have the MPP rotors but with stock pads and fluid. All show, no go. I’ve said it before, I used to race on 2 wheels. If I hit the track on 4 it would likely be in a Miata, not my Plaid. 0-100 for fun with friends is all the action my car sees currently.

Has anyone tried the UPP large sweep kit yet? I just did my first track day (everything stock) and it held up better than I thought it would on my slower, tighter track. I don't want to go full on track setup for the 1 or 2 track days I'll do a year. This means keeping the stock 19" wheels for my summer sport tire setup, and I'll be getting separate rims for winter.

The UPP kit seems to be the best kit that works with the stock 19", but the RB kit may work too. I'm also thinking about their brake ducts.

Anyone tried this setup yet?

Has anyone tried the UPP large sweep kit yet? I just did my first track day (everything stock) and it held up better than I thought it would on my slower, tighter track. I don't want to go full on track setup for the 1 or 2 track days I'll do a year. This means keeping the stock 19" wheels for my summer sport tire setup, and I'll be getting separate rims for winter.

The UPP kit seems to be the best kit that works with the stock 19", but the RB kit may work too. I'm also thinking about their brake ducts.

Anyone tried this setup yet?

I ordered a set back in December 2021... it never got shipped me and I got my money back like a month ago. They say that they are in stock now lol.

• Informative
Reactions: sandman1330
You’re right. I have the MPP rotors but with stock pads and fluid. All show, no go. I’ve said it before, I used to race on 2 wheels. If I hit the track on 4 it would likely be in a Miata, not my Plaid. 0-100 for fun with friends is all the action my car sees currently.
It's ok, I just don't want people to get wrong idea that heat shields have no utility and can be removed without any consequences. And they are called heat shields for a reason.

Also, even without racing - if you do emergency stop from high speed, rotor is very hot and not cooling anymore, so it fries everything while you standing. 1 stop can be enough.

Reactions: oktane and Bull
It's ok, I just don't want people to get wrong idea that heat shields have no utility and can be removed without any consequences. And they are called heat shields for a reason.

Also, even without racing - if you do emergency stop from high speed, rotor is very hot and not cooling anymore, so it fries everything while you standing. 1 stop can be enough.
MPP recommended sleeving it if I plan to track it. American FireSleeve - Hose Cable Thermal Fire Protection

I ordered a set back in December 2021... it never got shipped me and I got my money back like a month ago. They say that they are in stock now lol.
You do know that a lot of fresh products when they are dropped it’s pre order right? Did you call ahead and ask if they are in stock? I’ve been doing that recently to ensure my expectations (and CC) know when they are coming. Also combining the economic climate and production these days it’s better to call or email.

For example Martian wheels on TMC even has a poll going lol.
1D865F73-9B7C-46B1-9F56-37975D1AD897.png

You do know that a lot of fresh products when they are dropped it’s pre order right? Did you call ahead and ask if they are in stock? I’ve been doing that recently to ensure my expectations (and CC) know when they are coming. Also combining the economic climate and production these days it’s better to call or email.

For example Martian wheels on TMC even has a poll going lol. View attachment 825017

don't be ridiculous

BS.JPG

First orders shipping in 4 weeks.

Order 2.JPG

I effing called them way too many times.

I guess that you drive relatively calm. Without heat shields or heat wrapping, it melts rubber and wheel sensor insulation just with a radiation from rotors.
Yeah that my concern, I want the extra cooling but I was worried about the heat even if I do not track the car.

I contacted MPP and they recommended to wrap them so I will do that.

Any suggestion on good pads that go well with the 400mm MPP for street driving that will improve stopping distance.

Yeah that my concern, I want the extra cooling but I was worried about the heat even if I do not track the car.

I contacted MPP and they recommended to wrap them so I will do that.

Any suggestion on good pads that go well with the 400mm MPP for street driving that will improve stopping distance.
Did they say how to wrap axle dust boot?

The car completed One Lap Of America without any issues, but we will keep an eye on the balljoint and axle boots of course. Always inspect your car before and after a track day!
Usually professional racing guys don't come to a complete permanent stop with too hot rotors. With Plaid it's quite easy to get glowing rotors driving on a street. I think it would be wonderful if you can make a ready to use kit for rubber joints and speed sensor - it was always a pain to DIY them.