Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid range discussion.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah. I’ve no doubt that service is going to update my software when they install the new pack. At the end of the day though as long as it the pack stays relatively consistent that’s all I want to see.
I don't know if you can see the pack label, but I'd take a pic before and after.

Hoping you get a new pack and never have cause to worry about it again!

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
They probably do, but well hidden. I'd mark yours just to make sure it does not come back!
That’s a little conspiracy theorist for my liking! It’ll be quite obvious within one drive if the same pack comes back. It’s pretty easy to tell when you’re missing about a third of your range, and charging to 90% results in the battery stopping charging at ~85% and then phantom climbing to 100%.

Bottom line, - not worried. Just looking forward to the car going in for the work in a few weeks.

They probably do, but well hidden. I'd mark yours just to make sure it does not come back!
Yeah like @WilliamG mentioned, my new pack is absolutely normal behavior. Charge stopped right at 90%, did not "climb" after charging stopped. I've used about 25% of the charge since this morning, and via TeslaFi, every watt is accounted for making my pack a 97kWh pack. (not 79kwh).
It is as if it's anew car (effectively). Completely different behavior. PLUS, I have a photo of my my new pack going in to the car that my SvC sent me when they had to replace a broken tool from a nearby SvC to get my new pack installed.
There is absolutely ZERO doubt a new pack went into my car.

That’s a little conspiracy theorist for my liking! It’ll be quite obvious within one drive if the same pack comes back. It’s pretty easy to tell when you’re missing about a third of your range, and charging to 90% results in the battery stopping charging at ~85% and then phantom climbing to 100%.

Bottom line, - not worried. Just looking forward to the car going in for the work in a few weeks.

I am sure you are correct. They would never just push out software, or reset your BMS...

I might have sounded a little paranoid, but I have MCU1, which I have been trying to get the eMMC chip replaced for a year now.

I am sure you are correct. They would never just push out software, or reset your BMS...

I might have sounded a little paranoid, but I have MCU1, which I have been trying to get the eMMC chip replaced for a year now.
Yeah that’s a bummer, and an entirely different situation. My new battery pack, however, is on site, waiting for me. I feel pretty confident it gets installed!

Yeah that’s a bummer, and an entirely different situation. My new battery pack, however, is on site, waiting for me. I feel pretty confident it gets installed!

I'm sure that Tesla will do the right thing for you, if perhaps for the wrong reasons

If they knew more about how to gimp your pack, or say it was "Fine" "in spec" or "Functioning as designed" they would.

Such are the few benefits of being an early adopter.

Enjoy your new pack, and may you never have to darken the driveway of a SvC again..

Last edited:
I can't recommend obsessing over the battery.

Unlike the Endless Delivery Disorder, it never stops.

The 85 pack "gates" forced my hand.

Set charge to percent, don't worry about the pack, that's the job of the BMS.

Don't park near a Chevy Bolt.... That's the riskiest thing you can do at this point.
To the experienced Tesla owners - I'm trying not to obsess over the battery, but it's the one thing I cannot control. I've noticed the car stops 1% below my target charge %. Is that normal?

Attachments

• 0A1FAFED-B5A4-445C-9F1B-05BB35BD8981.jpeg
    0A1FAFED-B5A4-445C-9F1B-05BB35BD8981.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Late to the discussion and I haven't read the thread so I apologize if my back of the napkin math is a duplicate.

If we assume this is accurate:

Then in order for Plaid 19" to get 390 miles from 95KW usable, rated has to be 243.6 wh/mile.

My P85DL's rated range is based on 310 wh/mile. Did they really make the plaid 27% more efficient than the P85D per mile even with the extra weight?

Late to the discussion and I haven't read the thread so I apologize if my back of the napkin math is a duplicate.

If we assume this is accurate:

Then in order for Plaid 19" to get 390 miles from 95KW usable, rated has to be 243.6 wh/mile.

My P85DL's rated range is based on 310 wh/mile. Did they really make the plaid 27% more efficient than the P85D per mile even with the extra weight?
More than likely. On my 21s (rated for 348 miles in my Model S Plaid) I was achieving 336 miles extrapolated from a 96.5kWh battery on a mixed cycle, on September 2. Lots of highway, some side roads, some traffic. With AC on.

Attachments

• 00053A01-AAA2-43B4-ACD9-02AC889E9CFC.jpeg
    00053A01-AAA2-43B4-ACD9-02AC889E9CFC.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 55
I have a new plaid and just drove it from Florida to DC yesterday. It now has 1500 miles on it.
I was seeing 370 wh/mi on the way up in the morning(mid 30s f) and it slowly worked it’s way down to 320s wh/mile with mid 50s outside temps. Most driving was 85+ mph autopilot
This is my first ev and it’s very fast but I’m having to stop to charge a lot and I’m pretty sure my supercharger fees added up to be no better than when I drive my z06 that gets 18mpg.

I have seen a couple mentions of avg energy being that high but also some seem to be getting down in the 280s. Does anyone have any numbers for 85+mph cruising?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: bhzmark