Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid range discussion.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Range is awful on the plaid. My 3rd S. 100DL, 100DL Raven, Plaid 19".
Raven was a noticeable improvement from my first.
Plaid is not good. I got it with 19's and then switched to 20's with EV tires that got me good range on the Raven.
Right now trying to drive normal I'm getting 310 watts/m and I got in the Raven to check it.... 240. which is excellent but I was always in the 200's. Can't get in the 200's in the Plaid. Very disappointing.

I'm seeing a lot of reports like this. The new Model S -- both Plaid and LR -- is way off the efficiency it should have, given its heritage and the fact the body hasn't change much. I'm completely puzzled by this, given its aerodynamic performance. I wonder what's going on?

I'm seeing a lot of reports like this. The new Model S -- both Plaid and LR -- is way off the efficiency it should have, given its heritage and the fact the body hasn't change much. I'm completely puzzled by this, given its aerodynamic performance. I wonder what's going on?
I'm seeing high 200's for highway trips. Examples:

Code:
Distance   Avg Speed   Ext Temp   Efficiency
---------  ---------   ---------  ----------
128 miles   73.6 mph   30ºC/86ºF   280 Wh/mi
176 miles   72.7 mph   28ºC/82ºF   288 Wh/mi
 63 miles   71.8 mph   16ºC/61ºF   282 Wh/mi

All these had negligible net elevation changes.

Code:

Thank you. These numbers with average speed around 70 is heartening.

Code:

What wheels do you have ? What size tires etc?
Great data!

What wheels do you have ? What size tires etc?
Great data!
Thanks! These trips were all done with the stock 19” wheels (19x9.5 front, 19x10.5 rear, aero covers on) and stock tires (Pirelli P-Zero 255/45-19 front, 285/40-19 rear, cold pressures at 42 psi per Tesla specs).

I have since mounted aftermarket 20” wheels with wider Michelin PS4S tires (details here) so we’ll see how the efficiency goes once I start driving longer distances on relatively flat highways. Most likely up by a good amount.

Last edited:
(Plaid w 19s)

Can't corroborate the reports of low range. May be different scenarios - who knows.

Range seems similar to my 2018 100D after the first 5000 miles- will assemble a spreadsheet for documentation.
Plaid mode may be less efficient than sport or chill - book says Plaid keeps battery warmer, or something like that.
All my trips are on Sport - still plenty of power (maybe "plenty" is not strong enough :) )

One significant change: displayed estimated SOC at end of trip is much more reliable than the P85 or 100D.
Don't know why - needs more data points. Anyway - very comforting.

Battery pre-heating for SC destinations is interesting - wonder how much juice that takes.

Max range may matter less than you think - especially if your bladder has a shorter range than the car.
Pee stops and chargers seem well correlated - what a surprise! duh

The recharge time is about 1/2 of the 100D - big time saver on long trips.
Taper starts much later than the 100D - car is now ready before I am.

Again, anecdotal only until I get off my ... and do the spreadsheets.

What a hoot to drive this thing - performance and appearance are awesome.
Love the yolk, but it took awhile.
(Can't believe a car at this price level has hub caps - 200 mph hub caps??)

Reactions: BobbyRitz
Good man. Don’t connect to the vehicle or wake it up. Let’s see how it does overnight. Hopefully it will pick up a few miles.
After 7.5 hrs, charge is steady at 90% and range is still 337 miles. I did see still a little oscillation between 337 and 339 miles from the app last night minutes after charge completed. I'll submit travel data for the day later tonight. Just FYI - I have an LR on Insane mode. @MarcG @WilliamG Let me know if you would like me to make any adjustments prior to leaving (around 2 hrs from the time this post). Considering you are on the west coast, I probably won't hear from you, but I'll make any suggested adjustments prior to the trip home.

Thanks all for providing such a valuable community for this EV newb.

Reactions: byeLT4

Code:

I’m similar with a plaid with stock 19s. Better efficiency than my P85DL

After 7.5 hrs, charge is steady at 90% and range is still 337 miles. I did see still a little oscillation between 337 and 339 miles from the app last night minutes after charge completed. I'll submit travel data for the day later tonight. Just FYI - I have an LR on Insane mode. @MarcG @WilliamG Let me know if you would like me to make any adjustments prior to leaving (around 2 hrs from the time this post). Considering you are on the west coast, I probably won't hear from you, but I'll make any suggested adjustments prior to the trip home.

Thanks all for providing such a valuable community for this EV newb.
Hooool up. Are you a LR with 21s or 19s? The 21s LR is rated for 375 so you seem to be dead on. If you have 19s then that’s another story since that’s 405 miles rated.

If it’s 19s you have, can you check to make sure your car is set to 19s (the picture of the car in the app/car itself should make it clear). Also, drive the car down to ~20% or a little lower if you can without stranding yourself, and charge back to 90% and let it sit. The key is to let the car sit at 90% for as long a period as you can. For example when I was doing this I saw some obvious improvement in terms of range/cell balancing over several days.

The issue of course in my case is that all went out the window after a drive due to my bad pack. But in general if you have a good pack this will work great.

Hooool up. Are you a LR with 21s or 19s? The 21s LR is rated for 375 so you seem to be dead on. If you have 19s then that’s another story since that’s 405 miles rated.

If it’s 19s you have, can you check to make sure your car is set to 19s (the picture of the car in the app/car itself should make it clear). Also, drive the car down to ~20% or a little lower if you can without stranding yourself, and charge back to 90% and let it sit. The key is to let the car sit at 90% for as long a period as you can. For example when I was doing this I saw some obvious improvement in terms of range/cell balancing over several days.

The issue of course in my case is that all went out the window after a drive due to my bad pack. But in general if you have a good pack this will work great.
I'm on 21s and it's correct within app.

First 57 mile leg of trip:

D342CB4F-C844-4DD9-AD60-E2B68389A3D9.jpeg

86499B43-4B9A-4FBD-941B-2F51E3D4F463.jpeg

93440098-1019-4F66-B003-7787C446039D.jpeg

319BEEE1-4BC0-43BC-B8A9-854F0BE79E3C.jpeg

I'm on 21s and it's correct within app.
Then you’re just fine! Your new battery is reading correctly, and there’s no need to cell balance! 😎

What I would still do is drain the battery down to a low state of charge (20% will be low enough), and then charge to 90% and see what you end up with. If it stays within a mile or two or 375 miles (equivalent full charge) then you’re good to go. For me, this was not the case, so a new HV battery is ready for when I return from my trip.

I got this message from Service this morning "Good morning, the battery pack arrived, sooner than expected, so good news! We are extremely busy at this time and are doing out very best to address your concerns. Your vehicle is in our service queue. We appreciate your patience art this time"

Hopefully the Service manager will follow through with his promise to get the car back to me the day the pack arrives! 🤞🏻

Then you’re just fine! Your new battery is reading correctly, and there’s no need to cell balance! 😎

What I would still do is drain the battery down to a low state of charge (20% will be low enough), and then charge to 90% and see what you end up with. If it stays within a mile or two or 375 miles (equivalent full charge) then you’re good to go. For me, this was not the case, so a new HV battery is ready for when I return from my trip.
Roger that. I won't plug it in until I hit 20%.

Reactions: WilliamG