Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid range discussion.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new plaid and just drove it from Florida to DC yesterday. It now has 1500 miles on it.
I was seeing 370 wh/mi on the way up in the morning(mid 30s f) and it slowly worked it’s way down to 320s wh/mile with mid 50s outside temps. Most driving was 85+ mph autopilot
This is my first ev and it’s very fast but I’m having to stop to charge a lot and I’m pretty sure my supercharger fees added up to be no better than when I drive my z06 that gets 18mpg.

I have seen a couple mentions of avg energy being that high but also some seem to be getting down in the 280s. Does anyone have any numbers for 85+mph cruising?

That's impressive for 85. My consumption is 30% higher at 85 vs 70.

• Informative
Reactions: emailforbrett
Sure but 70 might be a bit slow that is why I said compromise between speed and efficiency ;)
Insomuch as you are talking about a compromise, then you are probably correct. However, since I've retired several years ago and have no need for being anywhere in a BIG hurry, like I did when I was younger, I find that I prefer the big MPGe numbers, and therefore drive 65 and 70, which is the speed limit on most interstates and highways now. But the difference between 70 and 75 is probably about 105 MPGe vs 100 MPGe? So I really shouldn't give a sugar anyway?

Reactions: WhiteWi
Just to update based on my original post in this thread, my new high voltage battery pack has been behaving very well thus far since it was installed about a month ago. You can quite clearly see when it was replaced in my TeslaMate graph. What a difference...

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 8.29.51 PM.png

What are you all seeing for range with the new Model S Plaid? I’m seeing pretty terrible range in mine (21” wheels), at least if we go via the battery percentage drop.

e.g. I left the house at 93% (set to 90 but it charged to 93% because….buggy software or whatever). It dropped to 59% as I arrived home (34% used, therefore). After just 69 miles of driving like a grandma! Average over that 69 miles is 305Wh. And only 21kWh used. If 34% battery is 21kWh, the math doesn’t make sense that this is a 100kWh battery… I was parked with sentry on for about 3 hours before coming home.

Thoughts/data, anyone? If we go by kWh used I’m on target for ~340 miles for a full battery. Via the percentage display I’m only on target for a little over 200 miles. Something is not right here…
I am also getting terrible range. I have Plaid with 21” wheels. Drive to the airport and car sat for one day. Total round trip was 41 miles but I dropped 101 miles on my range. Am I missing something but this is awful? I only get 313 on a 90% charge.

I am also getting terrible range. I have Plaid with 21” wheels. Drive to the airport and car sat for one day. Total round trip was 41 miles but I dropped 101 miles on my range. Am I missing something but this is awful? I only get 313 on a 90% charge.
Sounds normal to me. Did you have Sentry on? You’ll lose a lot of range with Sentry on for a full day. 313 miles at 90% is 348 miles total range. Spot on.

That's normal range for a 21" wheel car. "Vampire Drain" in cold conditions are pretty bad as well as when sentry is on. I've heard people estimate that Sentry is about 1% per hour.

When @WilliamG and I had our HV packs replaced our estimated range on the dash at 90% was about 225

Sorry to revive an old thread, but i’m wondering if i’m seeing some early degradation or if i’m doing somethig wrong (daily charge sually set to 90%, and i’ve only ever taken it to 100% 3 times in 6 months. Charging is made mostly at home)

When i originally got my Plaid, a 90% charge would show 313 miles

Now after 15K miles and 8 months later, 100% is shown to be equivalent to 298 miles

My average consumption (lifetime) is at 318 wh/mi

Is there a cause for concern? (Not sure when the numbers changed, as i usually keep yhe battery % shown instead of the guess-o-metered range on my front display)

Attachments

• 77410AE1-910A-49BB-8586-16168B418768.jpeg
    77410AE1-910A-49BB-8586-16168B418768.jpeg
    541.4 KB · Views: 41
Sorry to revive an old thread, but i’m wondering if i’m seeing some early degradation or if i’m doing somethig wrong (daily charge sually set to 90%, and i’ve only ever taken it to 100% 3 times in 6 months. Charging is made mostly at home)

When i originally got my Plaid, a 90% charge would show 313 miles

Now after 15K miles and 8 months later, 100% is shown to be equivalent to 298 miles

My average consumption (lifetime) is at 318 wh/mi

Is there a cause for concern? (Not sure when the numbers changed, as i usually keep yhe battery % shown instead of the guess-o-metered range on my front display)
I’m having the same concerns. I took delivery of my Plaid a year ago. At that time a full charge was 346 miles. Now a full charge is 317 miles. I charge to 85% and that gives me 268-270 miles depending on the day. I have a little over 17k miles on the car.

I’m having the same concerns. I took delivery of my Plaid a year ago. At that time a full charge was 346 miles. Now a full charge is 317 miles. I charge to 85% and that gives me 268-270 miles depending on the day. I have a little over 17k miles on the car.
What does it show if you temporarily change your wheel size to 19" in settings?

Last edited:
Couple of things:

- just like every EV would, your Plaid also had some degradation. But consistently charging to a lower % (meaning lower than full), simply makes the BMS displays a conservative lower estimate over a period of time, because it doesn't know what the full capacity is. To over come that, charge your EV to 100% once in a while (maybe more than once) for the BMC to learn and recalibrate what the full capacity is. Typically after charging to 100% a few times, you will notice the numbers go up.

- Of course after charging to 100%, don't let it sit for a long time. Drive and reduce the charge to 80% or lower.

- My default every day charge is around 75%. Although you will get different viewpoints on that, where some consistently charge to 90% or 85% and so on.

In general I have noticed that people who charge to 100% frequently and drive a lot, have less degradation than people who drive very little. But again that is anecdotal observation and not scientific.

Reactions: Leeclanual