Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Premium Center Console - Only in Black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suppose five minutes of masking carefully and one could plastidip spray the piano black to any color they like, such as matte black, cheaply. And if it got scratched, it's easy to redo or remove.

This is an interesting approach. I was always focused on an obeche sticker, but that seems too impossible to find. A CF sticker seems easy. Can anyone with this console with some experience with these type things see if it is reasonable? Even easier, what about a black matte skin???

MFM
I am exploring this option, Spoke to a local company that does custom wraps for cars inside and out......I am planning on buying the obeche gloss trimm that goes under the sliding armrests and then doing a hi-res scan and sending to them. The can create a wrap with paint protection film (durable scratch resistent protection) in either gloss or matte...not sure how close the matte version will come to a match but more optimistic about the gloss version which I have in my car. My center console should be here by next week and I will test it out. If it works, it should be an easy and reversible DIY project for under $60. Stay tuned.......

Just got email with custom link to purchase a piano black console. I was #810 on waitlist for carbon fiber and only recently got the email about "we made the difficult decision to not produce..." So it seems like they are allocating units for those who were on the waitlist(s). Anyone know of a good carbon fiber sticker I can put on it to make it match my trim?

Same here! Received a link and placed my order. Seems Tesla has been listening and realized the right approach indeed was to offer former waiting list position holders a temporary private download link for new stock they must have gotten in. Though I of course cannot be 100% happy about the way things went, I accept Tesla's apology, much appreciate this new gesture and -although I expect it will take them some time to fulfill the orders-, feel a lot better now.

Now we can see what -if anything- to do about the trim mismatch. I actually don't believe it will be that bad (I had considered purchasing the Piono Black console before deciding to get on the waiting list for the Obeche Gloss already when I purchased my car). If I don't like the look, I know there are a lot of creative people on the forum to find a good solution. :rolleyes:

Wow, I think I just pooped myself. I received an email from Tesla at 8:30pm tonight stating that they made a mistake and that I should have received the private link as promised, and never should have received the email of death.
Low and behold, my Obeche Matte console is officially paid for and on order. I did not bother asking for black stitching. That would have been pushing my luck. If I don't like it, I'll try staining the thread.
Sorry everyone, as I do not mean to rub it in. I am just thrilled that they followed through on their promise to me.

Obeche Matte.png

Wow, I think I just pooped myself. I received an email from Tesla at 8:30pm tonight stating that they made a mistake and that I should have received the private link as promised, and never should have received the email of death.
Low and behold, my Obeche Matte console is officially paid for and on order. I did not bother asking for black stitching. That would have been pushing my luck. If I don't like it, I'll try staining the thread.
Sorry everyone, as I do not mean to rub it in. I am just thrilled that they followed through on their promise to me.

Good for you! :smile:

WTF?

I haven't been following this thread for a bit. Did I miss something? After all of the fiasco did they decide that they CAN make the units with Obeche Matte?

I was on the waiting list for the same thing but did get the "email of death". Did you do something specific to prompt this?

WTF?

I haven't been following this thread for a bit. Did I miss something? After all of the fiasco did they decide that they CAN make the units with Obeche Matte?

I was on the waiting list for the same thing but did get the "email of death". Did you do something specific to prompt this?
It seems more like they DID make a limited number of non-Piano Black consoles. That would infer that they CAN. Alas, for whatever reason, they can no longer. No one has a clue as to why. So, it seems that they went through the list and, I'm guessing, that they did not send the email to a select number that were higher on list.
For me, I have been emailing online orders every month since being on the wait list from almost 2 years ago, and have one very long email thread with them as a result. When I read this forum, and saw that I did NOT receive this email, and again emailed them in a panic. They said that I did not receive the email, because they intended to offer me the console. Then, about 5 days go by, I suddenly received the dreaded email. I then said myself, as you did, WTF? I was told I would get it! I emailed them (a very strong but polite email) and even called them and left a message to inquire what happened. I suggested that this must be an error. I then received the link late last night.

It sounds as though the yield of acceptable obeche and CF consoles was not high enough to justify their continued production. They may have been able to get one good one out of every few produced, but not enough to cover their margins to the point where it made fiscal sense to continue offering them.

It sounds as though the yield of acceptable obeche and CF consoles was not high enough to justify their continued production. They may have been able to get one good one out of every few produced, but not enough to cover their margins to the point where it made fiscal sense to continue offering them.

I would think that the cost of any consoles that did not meet Tesla's quality standards would be eaten by the vendor who manufactures those unacceptable consoles. Why would Tesla take the financial hit for something that is the fault of its vendor?

I would think that the cost of any consoles that did not meet Tesla's quality standards would be eaten by the vendor who manufactures those unacceptable consoles. Why would Tesla take the financial hit for something that is the fault of its vendor?

Because the cost of inspecting a component that has unacceptable reject rate is high. To get the ones that they're distributing, they're undoubtedly doing 100% inspection. The expected scenario is that you have a vendor that can demonstrate acceptable quality levels - so that you can move to a statistically-supported sampling plan. The reality is that for every 10 defects you find in Incoming Inspection, one will slip through. Vendors that can't meet minimal quality standards will kill a company's bottom line pretty quickly.