TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S range and interior update imminent?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Thorbjorn, Jul 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

More information from Electrek... Tesla announces Model S with 'Plaid powertrain' and new 'chassis prototype' - Electrek

Tesla said that the Model S had a ‘Plaid powertrain’, which hints to a new powertrain above the ‘Ludicrous’ powertrain, and a new ‘chassis prototype’. With this new version of the Model S, Tesla completed a 1:36.555 lap time – achieving a new record lap for a four-door sedan:

That’s a big improvement over the previous best time in a Tesla Model S P100D. Last year, Tesla’s development team ended taking the Laguna Seca production EV record with a 1:43 time. Tesla has yet to release any other details about the new powertrain or chassis nor any plan to make the new version of the Model S available to customers. Tesla on Twitter

2. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

My wallet is already feeling $150k lighter. I hope this makes it into a future P100D+. I would buy it. Love the massive brakes and the forged Titan7 (I think) wheels. Wonder what size those wheels are?

3. MountainRatMat

If its got the Plaid power train does that mean it gets the roadster battery too? 200kwh battery in the S would make it a pretty incredible car.

Please note this is pure speculation and a dream, nothing solid to base this off of.

4. meomyo

meomyo Member

I think a 200kwh battery would and should be the next step- just offer 100 and 200. Or eventually make them all 200 and software limit to 100/ 150. 5-600 mile range would be killer- i think the battery in these cars is the weakest point: styling can always vary but the battery should be the best teched item in the car- then the motors.

5. sillydriver

sillydriver Member

Finally, the first official datapoint from the company that supports a significant update that if not imminent, is at least visible somewhere down the road. After almost 3000 posts, this thread is finally justified!

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  6. badboy1980

badboy1980 Member

LOL....

one more year to go for a refresh........

7. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

But that isn't going to be a refresh, it is a new trim level. There is no indication that any changes will be made to the existing trims. (Short Range/Long Range/Performance.)

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I couldn’t agree more, a 500 mile range model s would be fantastic.

• Like x 1
  9. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

Tesla is struggling to make enough batteries to meet demand now. I don't think they will be expanding the size of the pack on anything but limited production cars (like the Roadster and possibly P S/X) for the foreseeable future, but a 500 mile standard S would make it the perfect long road trip car regardless of the weather.

With a 500 mile car, winter road trips of some distance are no problem and road trips that don't involve days of driving can be done on one charge. It makes destination chargers more important. For people who want to do 800 miles in a day, you only need to make one stop.

For day to day driving it doesn't make much sense though. You'd rarely run down the battery more than 10% from wherever your charge setting was unless you only charge once a week.

• Funny x 1
  10. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I’m sure they are increasing production of battery cells at GF1
    Wouldn’t make sense if they weren’t.

11. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the production increase is slated for Storage, Model 3, Model Y, Pickup, Roadster, and Semi.

Remember the S&X use cells from Japan, not from GF1. And unless Panasonic starts ramping way faster than they have been there won't be any extra cells available to convert the S&X from 18650 to 2170.

Maybe in a few years once Tesla gets their own Maxwell based cell production lines going they will be able to make the transition. But there is also the fact that JB said that performance of a S/X with 2170s would be worse than the ones with 18650. (2170 is optimized for density/cost while 18650s have are more suited for performance.)

• Informative x 1
  12. wdolson

There have been stories this year that Panasonic's cell production ramp at GF1 has been slower than Tesla would like.

Tesla probably doesn't want to make two different pack designs for the S/X, but the standard S/X could be converted to 2170s at some point and it probably wouldn't make much difference for performance. But the supply of 2170s is too limited right now.

13. SucreTease

SucreTease Teslarian

Yes, but during that July investor call, Elon said that those problems have been resolved, that they are no longer battery-cell constrained, and that the battery production ramp is now similar to the Model 3 production ramp.

14. wdolson

I guess I missed that tidbit. Good to know.

15. mercer2

mercer2 Member

I think the plaid model s will be called p100t for the tri motor, and to mess with the T in turbo

• Funny x 1
  16. evster

evster Member

1. Don't draw any conclusions based on the red car with all the bolt-on aero changes. It is just and old shell covering the new drivetrain. Heck, even the interior that was shown in the Laguna Seca car was DATED. It had the alcantara on the dashboard and the old alu-trim. So that one also an OLD car on top of thew new drivetrain.

2. The P100D+ nomenclature does not mean anything, it's just a prototype. Tesla will never ever go back to the PxxxD nomenclature after having moved away from it for Model 3 and the Raven update. The + is just like the other aestetic bolt-ons and it's that old dated Model S shell all over the place.

3. Tesla REALLY need to update the Model S exterior. At least the headlight and the rear light cluster. The rear lights looks so dated that it's an eye sore. Model 3 and Model X rear lights look much better in comparison.

4. The new Plaid drivetrain deserve a new updated design. It will do with some small design cues that put the car into 2020 and away from the dated 2013 cues. It is not about the lines (they are perfect), it's about the details. like the LED lights, LED strips, Indicators and placement of some of the chrome parts front/back.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  17. Nda721

Nda721 Member

I'm going for the update to happen sooner than later to keep the interest in model s and x. Then the plaid would just be ongoing interest in the vehicles a year or so out. Because we know it's actually 2 years away lol.

18. rory breaker

rory breaker Member

^^^^ yup