TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S range and interior update imminent?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Thorbjorn, Jul 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

The can do that, but that's just icing on the cake (except for the prior SC access which would be a really bad idea, I think).

The vehicle still has to be unequivocally better. Right now... it is in some regards, but no so much in others. And that's a problem. I do believe it's still coming in the relatively near future. If they were playhing with introducing it in September that means that a lot of the work is already done. Most likely, if they're planning on ramping up the Y in that same time frame, they don't want to draw away manufacturing resources to deal with issues involved in an S retool. And I'd say that makes sense. By early 2020 they will be past a lot of the early stage Y problems, and are better able to work on the S/X again.

• Informative x 1
  2. alloverx

alloverx Member

Tesla has plenty of resources to do S upgrades whilst doing Y planning. They bought a company that focuses on manufacturing improvements. Its all about priorities.

3. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

Indeed. Priority is the new offerings that are selling well. The S was always a limited market vehicle with a time and place, it has received more attention than I would expect if the motive was purely money. Tesla investing energy in the recent overhaul of the drivetrain (Raven refresh) surprised and delighted me. Look forward to upgrading in a few years.

4. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

I agree and hope Tesla is monitoring this thread... they need a few new UX designers to get the job done right.

• Like x 2
  5. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

I'll agree it's limited relative to cheaper cars. But BMW has a 7 series, Merc has a S Series. These are also limited models. But they contribute disproportionately to profit and brand cachet that makes people look on the brand as being something to aspire to. The lower end German cars are really nothing special compared to Japanese and Korean. But they sell at a higher price because the entire brand is viewed as premium. Take the higher end cars out of the mix and that goes away.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  6. Tony8489

Tony8489 Member

I ordered on Aug. 3 when FUSC was revived and took delivery Aug. 13. It seems clear that with limited options these days, Model S is being made in batch just like Model 3.

I think the seats have been improved since our S90D. The side support is better and the new seats have lumbar/headrest controls that the 206 next gen seats did not.

Today Aug. 14 we drove round trip to Zuma Beach, 95 miles. The calibration for autopilot took about 25 miles. The Zuma trip, including some slow traffic on the way home, consumed 117 rated miles at 287 Wh/mi. The rated miles are similar or a bit higher than the S90D but the Wh/mi is lower as we should expect. There are a lot of traffic/weather variables on these local SoCal trips. Our Mammoth trips will be the more valid comparison of efficiency/range.

Our 2015 S90D had coil suspension. Both ride and handling are improved with the Raven air suspension. We think we notice the faster acceleration too, though the Wh/mi went through the roof when I nailed it from a stoplight on Kanan Rd.

Slacker and TuneIn were both disabled when we picked up the car. Slacker was enabled over the air tonight but TuneIn is not yet working.

• Informative x 4
  7. DocZ

DocZ Member

Is it quieter than your old S?

8. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.32.2.2

They made the seat changes in the S in December 2016. I missed them on my first S by a week but my March 2017 S has them.

• Informative x 1
  9. Tony8489

Tony8489 Member

Yes

We tested Navigate on Autopilot today, challenging conditions with moderate to heavy traffic between home and downtown LA. It's very hard for it to simulate what I would do with that much traffic. I suspect it's better for a lighter traffic route.

We do have some bugs. Driver's door panel came loose. Summon doesn't work right, coming out of our garage to only a fixed distance and refusing to go back into the garage. We are getting a ranger appointment next week on those. TuneIn works on maybe half the stations now; that's going to be the most challenging fix I suspect.

10. computerchuck

computerchuck Supporting Member

Raven performance model interior pricing increased. All interior choices used to be included at no cost. Now white interior with carbon fiber trim is $2000 extra. Bummer.

11. David J

David J Member

Red interior - didn't Elon tweet last year that we'd see a red interior option in 2019?

12. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

That would be awesome!

13. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

a nice classy burgundy red please not scarlet :)

14. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Yeah that would be great.
    I’d like a few more exterior color options.

15. mkspeedr

mkspeedr Member

I hate this thread...

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  16. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

It's happening!
    The [lower] range and interior update some have been asking for, don't worry about the sticker shock, it will all be worth it:

[​IMG]

Exterior is different too !! :

[​IMG]

/s of course.

And yes, I have a love/hate relationship with this thread too ^^

• Funny x 3
    • Love x 1
  17. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

It would have been fun to photoshop off the badges and put Tesla badges on that and show it to people who didn't know about the Taycan and see what their reaction is.

• Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  18. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

@Dithermaster
    Just rename it, you could call it the Tesla Model $ SRS ($= Expensive, SR = Short Range, S= Slow charging & slow moving).

I'm just glad there is a competitor in the BEV segment that Tesla still beats....

• Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  19. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

And it's the size of a Model 3 too!

• Informative x 1
  20. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Active Member

Harsh, but literally true, I guess.
    In my mind, the Porsche is worth it if you value its driving experience and better looks (esp. interior) that much.
    I don't, but entirely reasonable if someone else does.

• Like x 2