Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@sillydriver It's an interesting conundrum regarding sharp edges. My understanding, and I'm not an aerodynamics engineer, is that sharp edges somewhat counter intuitively can enhance performance when used correctly. I suspect as much is down to style as anything else though.

I do wonder if Tesla went "BMW M Division /Audi RS" on the P versions of the Model S, with cut outs and scoops and weird shaped carbon brake rotors they would up-sell more if for no reason other than showroom appeal. Especially since the non P cars have been "uncorked".

Clearly a portion of the car buying market are somewhat shallow in this regard. (A fact evidenced by people like myself and @AnxietyRanger wanting the bling of oddly opening doors :p)

• Funny
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Seems to me that Tesla is sitting on some amazing tech given the recent Roadster announcement. We can certainly expect a larger battery pack for the Model S between now and 2020 at the very least...hopefully sooner than later.

Kinda crazy to me that all these announcements are happening, the model 3 being better in some ways than the S....and the S continuing to not get any love when it comes to updates.

Reactions: smac
@sillydriver It's an interesting conundrum regarding sharp edges. My understanding, and I'm not an aerodynamics engineer, is that sharp edges somewhat counter intuitively can enhance performance when used correctly. I suspect as much is down to style as anything else though.

I do wonder if Tesla went "BMW M Division /Audi RS" on the P versions of the Model S, with cut outs and scoops and weird shaped carbon brake rotors they would up-sell more if for no reason other than showroom appeal. Especially since the non P cars have been "uncorked".

Clearly a portion of the car buying market are somewhat shallow in this regard. (A fact evidenced by people like myself and @AnxietyRanger wanting the bling of oddly opening doors :p)

Sharp edges appeal to me in some cars but not others. To mention one US-centric A/B comparison, I think the base Stingray version of the current generation Corvette is much better looking than the higher-end Z06 version with its aggressive scoops and flaps that spoil its lines. I think it would be terrible to add such things to the sleek MS design.

Seems to me that Tesla is sitting on some amazing tech given the recent Roadster announcement. We can certainly expect a larger battery pack for the Model S between now and 2020 at the very least...hopefully sooner than later.

Kinda crazy to me that all these announcements are happening, the model 3 being better in some ways than the S....and the S continuing to not get any love when it comes to updates.
I think it's perfectly logical the S has silence around it. My guess is they will spring a 2nd gen on us when we least expect it and it will be another leap forward. Would be lovely if it's timed just as MBZ releases a fully electric sedan. Heh.

FYI there is a thread on TMC about ripping out the center console. It can be done and yacht floor retrofitted apparently, if I remember.
I have taken the center console completely apart in my facelifted Model S and I can tell you that the old console is under the cupholder/storage area. To completely convert it, you would need the four console side trim pieces and the yacht floor or carpet piece. You can even retain the rear cupholders.

Here is the current console with the cupholder part removed:

IMG_2318.JPG

• Informative
I do like the frontal aero on the I-Pace... that's so cool.
I am not sure if you were serious or not. That does not look aerodynamically efficient. Much better to have a low nose and let the air flow over the hood. Running it through a grill and vents adds turbulence. The only place where this is better than the alternative is in the Model 3 (and Model S/X?), where a vent below the nose directs a flow of air around the wheel to keep air away from the rotating spokes, which would otherwise cause considerable turbulence (this is much in the same way that the Model 3 vents use one flow of air to direct another by pushing it up).

• Informative
Reactions: FutureShock
Many of us feel the same way, but don't expect to find that opinion welcome here.

I remember when I installed the center console on my model S I was excoriated here as polluting the superior spartan clean design of the car. Shortly thereafter, Tesla included them standard, no doubt due to popular demand.

I'm holding off to see the model S revision but if the interior is not at least as nice as a $30k Camry I'll shop elsewhere. I gave them a pass on the interior first time because I wanted to support the company and their great powertrain, but they have to play head to head with the price competition at this point.

Yes, because dumping unlimited amounts of GHG's is free . . . but future generations will pay the price many times over.

Why are people so petty given the fate of the planet is at stake?

Looks more like a gimmick to me...
And FWD doors aren't ? ;) (Or dihedral doors in my case, which actually I'd happily live without)

I think it's a clever solution to the problem that the shape consumers want/expect in the segment the I-Pace is aimed at is quite square fronted.

ICE stuff delivers this easily (by wasting more gas) but the EV segment has to come up with clever solutions or risk being branded as weirdmobiles due to their greater need to focus on aerodynamics at the expense of aesthetic expectations.

Yes, because dumping unlimited amounts of GHG's is free . . . but future generations will pay the price many times over.

Why are people so petty given the fate of the planet is at stake?

It's something I've been wrestling with given my very limited mileage (<7k per year). In the case of my Model S it was a determining factor in going for the smaller pack. I felt the bigger pack was wasteful from a manufacturing and daily efficiency POV. (Something I still think is true)

It would have been petty for me to buy a bigger pack just to do 0-60 a little bit quicker once a month.

I've just sold my car to someone that will do much more annual miles in it than me, thus offsetting the production penalty of the large pack, whilst simultaneously taking an i8 out the hands of an owner who would in all likelihood drive it everywhere on gas. (I can easily use it on pure EV for such a large proportion of my journeys).

It really is a very complicated problem, and I'm not sure the answer is nearly as simple as "Buy a Tesla, save the planet".

I'm just happy to do my bit where I can, without going back to living in a cave.

Status
Not open for further replies.