Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely... Graphene supercaps could have some phenomenal energy density... if it's every workable. Mentally I have this in the "20 year bucket"

Batteries and energy storage tech in general is very tricky. Moore's Law worked for semiconductors because there weren't that many variables to contend with. Energy storage devices have a complex array of variables to contend with and if any one of them is sub-par a promising tech is out the window.

There is a company in the UK working on supercapacitors for automotive use, but they are focusing on using them to supplement batteries rather than using them for primary storage because there is no tech for supercapacitors on the horizon that will make them as energy dense as batteries. Supercapacitors have the advantage of being capable of many more charge cycles and being able to deliver huge amounts of power in short bursts. For regen braking capture and acceleration help, they are a promising tech. If they were used primarily for starting/stopping, then that keeps the load on the battery pack more even which will keep them cooler and they will last even longer.

Last edited:
We might finally have a date. Unfortunately, for those holding out, it's going to be at least a year just alone for the interior refresh. Given how Tesla never meets their deadines, it is reasonable to believe the interior refresh might not hit the street until 2020 and the exterior refresh in 2022 and you risk losing some or all of the US rebates.

Tesla is planning a big Model S/Model X interior refresh in Q3 2019 – full refresh in 2021

This made my decision to get the 3 now much easier. Much less of a depreciation hit trading that in for a new model S or X in a few years.

We might finally have a date. Unfortunately, for those holding out, it's going to be at least a year just alone for the interior refresh. Given how Tesla never meets their deadines, it is reasonable to believe the interior refresh might not hit the street until 2020 and the exterior refresh in 2022 and you risk losing some or all of the US rebates.

Tesla is planning a big Model S/Model X interior refresh in Q3 2019 – full refresh in 2021
So, good choice to buy my Model S now. In 4 to 5 years there might be a refresh, but in the mean time I can enjoy my new S and buy a refreshed one in 5 years time :)

It could make sense for Tesla to upgrade the Model S/X in two steps:

Q1 2019: For non-performance models, use same drive train as in dual motor Model 3 with same power output as for performance M3. Upgrade battery pack to pack sizes 110 kWh and 90 kWh. Largest pack should allow for 200 kW supercharging.

Q3 2019: Interior upgrade.

Tesla plans to introduce Superchargers V3 late 2018, so this would fit well with that. We also know that Model 3 LR allows for faster charging than 120 kW, and the flagship vehicle should charge faster than that.

To start with a drive train/battery pack upgrade will also keep Tesla ahead of the competition regarding range/fast charging.

I was kind of relieved to see this too considering I just bought my CPO 1.5 years ago and am getting it dipped, which is a cost as well. In 4 years from now, my car will be paid off, and I will probably want a new one by then, which aligns for the complete refresh schedule. By then, there will be hopefully be lots of EV options out there.

So, good choice to buy my Model S now. In 4 to 5 years there might be a refresh, but in the mean time I can enjoy my new S and buy a refreshed one in 5 years time :)

Reactions: MarkKW

The look of the touchscreen setup in a Model 3 was a deal breaker for me (cancelled reservation long ago). If Tesla brings that "tacked on" look to the Model S, then all I can say is I'm glad there will be many more choices by then. As a bonus for current S/X owners, it might help resale values of the older models.

But frankly I don't believe it. At the price point of an S/X the touchscreen must be integrated into the dash somehow. I like the idea of rotating the orientation, but for a $100k+ car, it must LOOK nice or I won't buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.