Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh: License Holder Part of Bumper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't budge when I pulled on it from the top.

Guys...rest assured that the plate bracket is removable and will not compromise the beautiful new front. I was down in Fremont again this week and saw several refreshed cars. None of the front bolts touch/go through the bumper. The bracket can be pulled away from the car and there is some rubber pads to eliminate any marks.

There are two mounting screws on the bottom. They above pics show it best. The bad news is all cars will be delivered with the bracket.

Good news is there will be no problem removing....Just can't be done by Tesla

I was told by a Tesla rep that the reason they are doing this is to adhere to a NHTSA requirement/recommendation to avoid costly repair to the front of the car in the event of a collision/impact. Apparently, the front tip of the hood sticks out just beyond the bumper and would be the first point of contact. Hence the plate bracket, with this in place it becomes the first point of contact. Replacement of the bracket is cheap, replacing/repairing the hood, very costly...

If you don't believe me, check out a Model X. How come no plate issues with the X??? Answer: The X hood falls just short of the bumper. Never would have believed it until I was an X and new S sitting right next to each other.

marty

Last edited:
Guys...rest assured that the plate bracket is removable and will not compromise the beautiful new front. I was down in Fremont again this week and saw several refreshed cars. None of the front bolts touch/go through the bumper. The bracket can be pulled away from the car and there is some rubber pads to eliminate any marks.

There are two mounting screws on the bottom. They above pics show it best. The bad news is all cars will be delivered with the bracket.

Good news is there will be no problem removing....

I was told by a Tesla rep that the reason they are doing this is to adhere to a NTSB requirement/recommendation to avoid costly repair to the front of the car in the event of a collision/impact. Apparently, the front tip of the hood sticks out just beyond the bumper and would be the first point of contact. Hence the plate bracket, with this in place it becomes the first point of contact. Replacement of the bracket is cheap, replacing/repairing the hood, very costly...

If you don't believe me, check out a Model X. How come no plate issues with the X??? Answer: The X hood falls just short of the bumper. Never would have believed it until I was an X and new S sitting right next to each other.

marty

Although that sounds reassuring, the NTSB generally deals with aviation safety so I doubt that had anything to do with this. :) Maybe NHTSA? Also, why would any federal agency care about the cost of repairs?