Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh: License Holder Part of Bumper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I so wanted this for my Model X but alas it does not have the attachment underneath the new S does. Hopefully this gets moved over to the Model X soon so others can benefit from the redesign. For me I just got a bag of screws and license plate frame from the SC today so I will be drilling away this weekend.:(

Now if we can just convince the DSs to remove them before we get our cars. Some are saying they "can't".
My DS just told me that they are not coming with the brackets installed. ??? Maybe he just don't keep up on stuff. If it's that easy to take off I don't care but I've seen some emblems on cars with that foam double-sided tape stuff whatever it is and they use floss to cut through it and then take the emblem off the paint underneath had issues. The photo looks good though.

Reactions: Reekdog
here's a closeup view of the bracket... this one is the floor model at Burlingame, CA service center.
I can confirm it's kind of "L-shape" bracket that bolts under the front bumper and then is held in place in the front with double-sided tape. Easy to attach and remove as desired with no cosmetic issues.

IMG_6991.JPG

Last edited:
Since this was the primary thread about the license plate holder I thought I would add the following...

The screws on the bottom are non-standard security screws that have a 5-point (not standard 6) star shape in the style of a Torx Plus. I've searched high and low and no one makes a socket to fit these weirdo screws.

So, I am getting some of these screws shortly and intend to design a 3D printed metal socket insert to solve this problem. I will give this CAD model to anyone and I'll also post this on www.shapeways.com

It should be reasonably inexpensive printed out of stainless steel because it will be so small.

I'll keep everyone posted.

One way or another I'm not planning to leave with the car with that front plate bracket attached.

Attachments

• 20160422_183514.jpg
    20160422_183514.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 377
  • image-2.jpeg
    image-2.jpeg
    27.1 KB · Views: 65
Great idea ... I am interested in the 5 point socket.

20160422_183514-jpg.178574

Since this was the primary thread about the license plate holder I thought I would add the following...

The screws on the bottom are non-standard security screws that have a 5-point (not standard 6) star shape in the style of a Torx Plus. I've searched high and low and no one makes a socket to fit these weirdo screws.

So, I am getting some of these screws shortly and intend to design a 3D printed metal socket insert to solve this problem. I will give this CAD model to anyone and I'll also post this on www.shapeways.com

It should be reasonably inexpensive printed out of stainless steel because it will be so small.

One way or another I'm not planning to leave with the car with that front plate bracket attached.

Sell them. $20/ea. You have a golden market opportunity now.

Reactions: Soundchasr
I missed the early pages of this thread but looks like everyone agrees. The plate is glued on now and comes off from what I heard.

Apparently the new MS refresh was crash tested with a plate/bracket/frame on it, and so they have to deliver all the news ones with plate/bracket until they crash test it again without one (if they do).

I missed the early pages of this thread but looks like everyone agrees. The plate is glued on now and comes off from what I heard.

Apparently the new MS refresh was crash tested with a plate/bracket/frame on it, and so they have to deliver all the news ones with plate/bracket until they crash test it again without one (if they do).

Which seems like a total BS answer to me. Is this to say it was a total screw-up by Tesla to test with the bracket on as opposed to off?

Actually the plate is glued on and screwed on with safety screws for which there may be no available removal tool. Apparently it is possible to just rip the plate mount away from the two screws below the bumper (destroying the plate mount) and then remove the screws with pliers.