Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh: License Holder Part of Bumper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's annoying that they won't remove the holder after delivery (my DS say "it's federal law"). It's even more annoying that the DS's don't know the tool to remove the bolts and can't provide information on where to get one. This despite the fact that many of the showroom cars have the license holder removed and the design studio doesn't have one either.

It's annoying that they won't remove the holder after delivery (my DS say "it's federal law"). It's even more annoying that the DS's don't know the tool to remove the bolts and can't provide information on where to get one. This despite the fact that many of the showroom cars have the license holder removed and the design studio doesn't have one either.

I agree 100%. I love the car, this is not going to prevent that. But this will affect my perception of satisfaction with delivery. To me, the fact that they show it without the tag on their website and showroom vehicles yet deliver it with it on is false advertisement. What really aggravated me was not them telling me they couldn't remove it, it was how difficult they've made it for the owner to do so with the security screws.

Was it a 6 Point 11/32 socket? Was able to remove mine with it. Isn't on tight and almost didn't think it was catching the little arms, but it did come out pretty easily.

If you remove the three screws on the front it'll look like this when you take the outer frame off. Though it could be removed as one piece too.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Was it a 6 Point 11/32 socket? Was able to remove mine with it. Isn't on tight and almost didn't think it was catching the little arms, but it did come out pretty easily.

If you remove the three screws on the front it'll look like this when you take the outer frame off. Though it could be removed as one piece too.

View attachment 179221

I used both 6 point and multi point sockets... it felt it was too loose when I tried to turn it..

These cars are mfg delivered as opposed to others which are dealer delivered. I suspect that if there is a stipulation that cars have to be delivered as tested (such as with these plate holders), it applies to mfg. After mfg delivers to dealer, said dealer is free to do what they want.