Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh - Push Center to Honk on Yoke?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Edit - I missed the other thread on this. Forgot to check the user interface forum. Mods, my apologies, feel free to delete or move this thread.

It look like Elon might have commented on an upcoming feature for the S (and presumably X):

If I'm reading this right all yokes made since November can push center to honk and only need a firmware update to enable. For us early adopters before November, Elon's advice is to just 'mash the right side of the yoke' to honk. As a bonus, we'd also get the wiper at the same time to help smear the windshield and further express our frustration at the same time as the honk!

I'm wondering, if you have a refresh made since November does your yoke center cap move or give any feedback at all if you push it? It seems like mechanical movement would be necessary since the face of the airbag is covered with 'leather'. Unless it's sufficiently thin and there's a capacitive sensor embedded just below the surface...

Also wondering if Tesla could be convinced to offer a retrofit for the older cars. I'm in Florida so I frequently mash the center of the yoke and get no joy. That's a really hard reflex to unlearn...

Last edited:
The current horn sucks! My temporary solution, cross posted below:

Couldn't agree more! I've adjusted to everything else about the yoke, but most of the time when you need the horn it's reflex and muscle memory so 9 months later I still mash the airbag and get nothing. Usually by the time I think about where the horn actually is it's too late to do anything constructive. I still push it anyway though. To save the Teslacam clip of course ;)

Reactions: theslimshadyist
Couldn't agree more! I've adjusted to everything else about the yoke, but most of the time when you need the horn it's reflex and muscle memory so 9 months later I still mash the airbag and get nothing. Usually by the time I think about where the horn actually is it's too late to do anything constructive. I still push it anyway though. To save the Teslacam clip of course ;)
The horn problem is two faced. Instinctively you go to hit the airbag and nothing happens, and then need to look down to locate the horn button. My "Michaels" solution only fixes the second one. Generally speaking by the time you get to step two, its too late. The current horn may be ok on a straight highway patch when you are looking directly ahead ahead and both hands are on the yoke. However, in urban driving, parking lots, etc..it literally is an accident waiting to happen.

Reactions: Bitjockey
In the past 1-year I can recall using my horn 2 times. I wonder what kind of statistics Tesla has collected around horn usage to evaluate how much of an issue this really is? Maybe it will prevent people from using their horns unnecessarily as the flash moment of anger will have passed by the time you locate your horn button on the yoke :). If you are a constant honker, perhaps your repetitive unnecessary honking has allowed you to adapted better to the yoke...or perhaps this has contributed to a reduction in noise pollution...idk...go figure. I enjoy the car so much and use the horn so little that this certainly won't change my feelings about my S Plaid.

In the past 1-year I can recall using my horn 2 times. I wonder what kind of statistics Tesla has collected around horn usage to evaluate how much of an issue this really is? Maybe it will prevent people from using their horns unnecessarily as the flash moment of anger will have passed by the time you locate your horn button on the yoke :). If you are a constant honker, perhaps your repetitive unnecessary honking has allowed you to adapted better to the yoke...or perhaps this has contributed to a reduction in noise pollution...idk...go figure. I enjoy the car so much and use the horn so little that this certainly won't change my feelings about my S Plaid.
To be fair, if Tesla is gathering statistics on how many new owners are using the horn, it’s probably zero, because we can’t find the damn button in time.

To be fair, if Tesla is gathering statistics on how many new owners are using the horn, it’s probably zero, because we can’t find the damn button in time.
This horn button by far is the most stupid design of Tesla. If they want the button on the yoke and not in the middle, at least switch position with the wiper button. Having the horn at the furthest position is out right stupid. I was a parking lot held up by traffic in front of me. A car was backing out to my side. I tried to honk it but instead turned on the wiper. Luckily that driver saw me and stop or I will be spending months in a Tesla body shop.

I accidently caused the horn to sound when I tried to hit the speed setting ball on the right with my left hand. Did not hit the horn button but the arm to the right of the air bag. I believe I saw someplace that hitting the right side works now and you do not have to hit the horn button. That is what my January build car seems to do.

I accidently caused the horn to sound when I tried to hit the speed setting ball on the right with my left hand. Did not hit the horn button but the arm to the right of the air bag. I believe I saw someplace that hitting the right side works now and you do not have to hit the horn button. That is what my January build car seems to do.
I read something about cupping the area will sound the horn. Not sure what that meant but will try it. I look forward to Tesla moving it to the airbag center since my build is also January. Rumor says the fix will come in April. Hope it is not an April Fools joke.

I read something about cupping the area will sound the horn. Not sure what that meant but will try it. I look forward to Tesla moving it to the airbag center since my build is also January. Rumor says the fix will come in April. Hope it is not an April Fools joke.
When I've cupped my hand in the general area of the horn button, the car sounds three, staccato horn blasts, distantly different from when I actually press the horn button. I discovered this a few days ago by accident. Pressing the airbag continues to do nothing.

my airbag doesnt go inward when I press on it. NOt like my 2017 S did when activating the horn.
I assume there is some sort of switch under the airbag that gets activated when you press, but that switch simply isnt "turned on" yet?

When I've cupped my hand in the general area of the horn button, the car sounds three, staccato horn blasts, distantly different from when I actually press the horn button. I discovered this a few days ago by accident. Pressing the airbag continues to do nothing.
I tried cupping my and yes it blew the horn. I am not sure it is a good solution instead of the airbag button but definitely better than searching the horn button. This motion does not avoid the accidental wiper being turned on instead, however.

Looks like Lexus comes up with a steering yoke that is not like our joke.
1651527095202.png