Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Europe the car is more expensive for the average buyer, the price in dollars is about the price in Euro's, so that is a 30% increase. Also, Europeans tend to drive smaller cars. For me as a business owner the Model S is very attractive, since there are many tax breaks and subsidies. For consumer the only advantage is the lower price of the 'fuel'. (Yeah, there are many more advantages, but if you only take price into consideration, the Model S is not very economical for the consumer in The Netherlands). I think in Norway the situation is different. But we are both small countries. The Germans prefer German cars, the French French, the Italians Italian..... And the Brits drive on the wrong side of the road :). It will take some time for Europe to ramp up the sales.

I resemble that remark. Brits drive on the left. Left shares not even one letter with wrong? :)

But I agree ... I think the Model S maybe too big for Europe. But what do I know? Live in USA. And would never give up my Model S.

Remember, Euro cars, standard suspensions, 60 kW batteries, 40 kW batteries, and red were delayed.

Model S had more early bugs than the optimists in Fremont expected, and they're all bugs which will apply to Model X as well. (Vampire load comes to mind first and foremost, also windshield cracking, defroster vent design.) It makes sense not to even consider starting Model X production until the *shared* bugs are fixed. On top of that, they haven't finished optimizing the factory, and they haven't finished designing the standard suspension. And the executives have their hands full trying to straighten out the sales/delivery communications, which is honestly a mess. And then there's the ramping up of the service centers... And the service contracts aren't available for sale yet.... and they haven't even got the parcel shelves shipping... basically, adding model X production would be like adding a straw to a camels back, until several of the outstanding issues are more settled. Model X *needs* to go on the back burner for now.

I am a bit surprised that Euro reservations are running as slow as they are. The economics of electric cars is a lot better in Europe than it is in most of the US: more expensive gasoline, shorter distances, 240V electrical grid! But I assume it's the lack of cars on the road. Model S had a rocky rollout in the US with a lot of early bugs (like any new car); the rollout in Europe should attract more positive publicity, because they'll be coming off an established production line. We could see a sharp acceleration in sales once cars start being delivered in Europe.

Agree which I am sure is one of the reasons the Model X has been pushed back, but there is progress being made on a couple of the items you mentioned and your comment about the standard suspension is old news since it has already been delivered to a customer.

My parcel shelf arrived in a big, flat box yesterday. It was shipped to me. You may see boxes headed your way soon. The design is fairly simple. Not sure what took 4+ months to get it out. MY thanks go out to Tesla for going the extra mile and mailing it to me without me even asking.

I posted comparison pictures with and without the vent modification here: Fogging - Page 17

Someone in the Tesla Forums that just picked up a standard suspension model has provided some insight:

"nfsilver | MARCH 19, 2013I only test drove the air suspension once back in December and I remembered the suspensions being more stiff. It's probably because we are lower to the ground when driving in the air. These standard ones feel much more comfortable to me, like a more bouncy feel when going over imperfections on the road.
Since std. suspensions are being delivered now, maybe they will start having some for test drives.
Fyi, I am a person that prefers less mechanical failure issues, so even if air suspension would have felt better, I'd still have opted for standard. This is why I also didn't opt for the panoramic roof."

Last edited:
I resemble that remark. Brits drive on the left. Left shares not even one letter with wrong? :)

But I agree ... I think the Model S maybe too big for Europe. But what do I know? Live in USA. And would never give up my Model S.
The "wrong" was a tongue in cheek joke of course :) but it does have consequences for Tesla Model S, since Tesla chose to produce LHD before RHD's.

Even though big cars are produced in Europe, the average size of a car here is much smaller. The A8 or S class are build here, but many are for export to the US and China.

P3077 reported in Norway today.
I got 2853 on 20 February. So 224 Tesla's reserved in 30 days in Europe. That is 7,5 per day. At this rate they will sell 2500 cars a year in Europe.... I think they need to ramp up the sales machine. I respect their "think different" attitude, but if they want to get Germans and French out of their home market brands, they really need to do more. 4K € reservation fee? They will never pay it. No unlimited test drive? Come on! Tesla, there is work to do!

There are still limited test drives in the US as well ! :) .... There are not enough cars to go around because customers have paid deposits ,so it is hard to justify another car to attract sales with so many Customers Waiting for cars. When Europe Drives ... Europe Buys! They also just announced a Test Drive event for Both the North America Market and Europe Market. Check the newest Tesla Blog for details

Why is Tesla still keeping the policy of the 5000$/4000€ reservation fee?
I understood the purpose when Tesla was just planing the production and in the rampup phase but now they are producing at 400-500 cars a Week.
as Z1970 points out I think this might hold some people back that just never seen such a reservation fee and are not really excited about that.

Probably doesn't need to be said, but to avoid all possible misunderstanding
it's a reservation payment but is not a fee. The payment is held until purchase and is deducted from your final bill when you buy the car. When you say fee I wonder if you were under the impression that you pay 5 grand simply to acquire a spot in line.

Why is Tesla still keeping the policy of the 5000$/4000€ reservation fee?
I understood the purpose when Tesla was just planing the production and in the rampup phase but now they are producing at 400-500 cars a Week.
as Z1970 points out I think this might hold some people back that just never seen such a reservation fee and are not really excited about that.

They still need to make sure you are serious about getting the car. They have to be able to accurately predict how many parts they will need.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

In Europe the car is more expensive for the average buyer, the price in dollars is about the price in Euro's, so that is a 30% increase. Also, Europeans tend to drive smaller cars. For me as a business owner the Model S is very attractive, since there are many tax breaks and subsidies. For consumer the only advantage is the lower price of the 'fuel'. (Yeah, there are many more advantages, but if you only take price into consideration, the Model S is not very economical for the consumer in The Netherlands). I think in Norway the situation is different. But we are both small countries. The Germans prefer German cars, the French French, the Italians Italian..... And the Brits drive on the wrong side of the road :). It will take some time for Europe to ramp up the sales.

It is not, we do not have subsidies and also our pricing has to be displayed with VAT which is 19%. Also you have to add roughly 6% of custom taxes as well...

Hey guys, has anyone confirmed where these recent reservation posts are coming from? I have friends who have reserved and not received a reservation number (they have the “#0” that others have referenced on this thread). I know one post was from the in store “giant check” and another from the map but does anyone know where my friends can get their reservation number or what they can do to get it?

Just placed my reservation on 3/21/2013. #RN609729

That RN# that you posted is only your personal identifier. It has nothing to do with Tesla delivery sequencing. The RN number is more or less your personal customer number. For people that reserved up until a few weeks ago, they were given a sequence number that actually was in order of reservation. This was helpful up until recently.

Someone else posted on how to get a test drive. It is not necessary to put down $5000 in order to get a test drive. All you need to do is call and ask. No sweet talking is necessary.

Congratulations on your reservation!!

- - - Updated - - -

Unless Tesla starts re-issuing sequence numbers, this thread should be retired. The Model S Delivery Dates and Sequencing thread is more active and has actual valuable information!