Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my estimate is that the Signatur edition will be at least $10k more for a similar normal edition with the same options

Hi Mark,

When I was at the Fremont event a Tesla representative said that the basic Signature edition would be only slightly more expensive than a general production model with comparable options. I'm thinking that would be only a few thousand dollar premium.

Larry

it will be interesting to see how many will downgrade from the Signature edition to the normal edition when the final prices will be announced
as I believe that the hole purpose with the Signatur edition is make it posible for the rich and famous to jump the queue (by paying extra)
my estimate is that the Signatur edition will be at least $10k more for a similar normal edition with the same options

With the Roadster is was sort-of the opposite. Those who left their money on deposit for a long time got somewhat of a bargain as prices went up later.
It was a slight payoff for a gamble of sorts.

When I was at the Fremont event a Tesla representative said that the basic Signature edition would be only slightly more expensive than a general production model with comparable options. I'm thinking that would be only a few thousand dollar premium.
That would kill my sale. I hope TEG has the right of it. There was never anything said in the verbiage that indicated you'd be paying more money and I expected the Sig to be at a discount in acknowledgement of the sacrifice of early adopters. To make this worse, the only word I've heard 2nd hand so far is that giving up your Sig means you give up all reservation status and would have to go to the end of the P line with a new reservation. If that happens, well, let's hope it doesn't.

I'm waiting until actual numbers come out in a few months, but my excitement over Tesla has very much gone to distressed anxiety. $40k was a HUGE investment of money for me and I gave up a reasonable P slot to get the Sig spot.

That would kill my sale. I hope TEG has the right of it. There was never anything said in the verbiage that indicated you'd be paying more money and I expected the Sig to be at a discount in acknowledgement of the sacrifice of early adopters. To make this worse, the only word I've heard 2nd hand so far is that giving up your Sig means you give up all reservation status and would have to go to the end of the P line with a new reservation. If that happens, well, let's hope it doesn't.

I'm waiting until actual numbers come out in a few months, but my excitement over Tesla has very much gone to distressed anxiety. $40k was a HUGE investment of money for me and I gave up a reasonable P slot to get the Sig spot.

Hi,

I'm sorry I didn't mean to feed your anxiety.

It seems to me that what the Signature premium pays for is 1) exclusivity 2) unique badging and colors, but 3) most importantly the ability to obtain delivery before general production reservation holders. IF the premium is only a few thousand more then most will probably consider it a bargain.

However I do think in fairness that if a Signature reservation holder decides to move to general production that the date of their original reserveration should be used to insert them in the general production line.

Larry

The concept of paying more for exclusivity is completely lost on me. I can't fathom why anyone would waste money like that. I know people will, but I can't begin to comprehend why. I got the Sig because I knew it was a car I wanted and I thought Sig holders would get a small bonus, special options if nothing else. There are a lot of Sig holders that got the Sig long before line jumping had any value.The concept of paying more to jump the line might make sense now, but a year ago it was sort of pointless as anyone reserving at that time would take delivery within the first few months anyway.

However I do think in fairness that if a Signature reservation holder decides to move to general production that the date of their original reserveration should be used to insert them in the general production line.
+1
I'm not a Sig reservation holder, but if I were and decided to downgrade after having left $40k on deposit for months or years, I would be very, very annoyed if I were put at the end of the line because I only wanted to spend $80k, instead of $95k or whatever.

When I was at the Fremont event a Tesla representative said that the basic Signature edition would be only slightly more expensive than a general production model with comparable options.

In that case, a signature slot would bring you in front of the Production queue, but at the cost of 8x the reservation fee and additional cost.:frown:

My understanding of Tesla's signature concept is that the signature cars all have a common set of (nearly full) options. The benefit for Tesla is
a) $40k up front
b) low variance in parts keeping and production line configuration during ramp-up of the first 1000 cars
c) higher gross margin on fully optioned out cars

They give back part of it to the reservation holder - a signature car comes a bit cheaper than a general production car fitted out with the same set of options.

Edit: ckessel sorry to hear your anxiety with your signature slot. Remember, the first customers putting down a sig reservation didn't know they'll get a 300 mile package north of $77k, so they really need strong nerves now if they hoped for a 57k car. You should consider contacting Tesla and revering to your P slot - Tesla has not compressed the P queue, your slot still should be vacant.

Last edited:
It is the way Tesla handled the Roadster Signatures, like mentioned above by TEG. With Tesla trying hard to build a brand image, they shouldn't change the signature concept in such fundamental points like price from benefit to penalty. Ok, that's just an expectation and not an understanding. :redface:

Hi,

I understand and agree with your point. However, if the Signatures were at a discount and, as you say, they are at a higher margin, don't you think that Tesla would publically advertise that benefit?

Larry

It is the way Tesla handled the Roadster Signatures, like mentioned above by TEG. With Tesla trying hard to build a brand image, they shouldn't change the signature concept in such fundamental points like price from benefit to penalty. Ok, that's just an expectation and not an understanding. :redface:

It's one I want to share, but to play for the other team for a second: didn't Roadster sig owners get a great deal mainly because the price of the car increased? Same has happened with the Karma.

I'm pretty sure we won't be getting a plaque this time around, but I'd hope for SOMETHING to warrant the extra money we loaned them.

I understand and agree with your point. However, if the Signatures were at a discount and, as you say, they are at a higher margin, don't you think that Tesla would publically advertise that benefit?

Maybe, but they also haven't seemed to finalize any pricing yet, so I doubt they'd start touting until they were sure (and when customers could actually see the numbers)

There are probably some better pictures of the door sills out there, but you can see a bit of the Signature writing here:
foto-galeri-first-ride-2012-tesla-model-s-beta-662-34.jpg

foto-galeri-first-ride-2012-tesla-model-s-beta-662-10.jpg

well to my recollection the reason the roadster waiting list got a special price was that the final price was announced and already some people have signed the contract, before they realized that they had to increase the price
but this time tesla have only announce the starting price, there by making it posible to make small adjustments, if the find they have set the price to low they can change some default to be extra options, if to high just change some extra options to be included
but way do people keep thinking that the Signature Edition should get a discount when the normal list have waited just as long
and if we generally look at how Signature or Limited Editions are sold, they always sold at a premium, so way should it be cheaper it make no sense
every time a new hot car with at mile long waiting list hit the market, the price for a new "used" model sky rocket, mostly because the rich dont want to wait
so if tesla make the Signature is an extra 10K or more, that way they get a chance to cash in on those who dont want to wait, this make sense form a business point of view

so if tesla make the Signature is an extra 10K or more, that way they get a chance to cash in on those who dont want to wait, this make sense form a business point of view

There's valid arguments for both sides here, but in this, I'd have to somewhat disagree. It's one thing if Tesla rolled this list out 2 months before deliveries to allow the last minute people to jump the line, but as others have pointed out, many people have been on this list for years.

There's valid arguments for both sides here, but in this, I'd have to somewhat disagree. It's one thing if Tesla rolled this list out 2 months before deliveries to allow the last minute people to jump the line, but as others have pointed out, many people have been on this list for years.

Hi,

So are you suggesting that because some Signature reservation holders waited two years, all Signature reservations holders should received a discount?

Larry

well to my recollection the reason the roadster waiting list got a special price was that the final price was announced and already some people have signed the contract, before they realized that they had to increase the price...

As I recall, many cars were delivered at the promised price before they resorted, due to a critical cash situation, to making adjustments...
(What you described came later, not at the start.)

I would say so much has changed since then that it would be incorrect to use past Roadster experience as a suggestion of what lies ahead.