Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have a problem with it but that could get pretty crazy in ten years when the Model S 8.5 Super Sport is released. :wink:

I know you're being facetious, but I can't see there being a whole revision bump in less than 2 years. The roadster is up to 2.5, but there was a lot learned on the way -- I'd imagine the Model S might progress a bit slower. Maybe a 1.5 in very late 2013 or early 2014 to keep it fresh against the X, then a 2.0 in early 2015 perhaps?

At that rate, we'd see maybe a 4.0 - 4.5 in 10 years

Maybe the coast-to-coast DC network will be ready by then? You might be the first to test it.

I honestly don't think I could bear that haha. 5 hours in, I'd hand my wife the wheel and surf the net for the rest of the trip.

I know you're being facetious, but I can't see there being a whole revision bump in less than 2 years.

At that rate, we'd see maybe a 4.0 - 4.5 in 10 years

Sorry, I didn't mean to push your buttons with my comment. If Tesla does a half-number revision per year (with 2012 being 1.0) after ten years you'd get 5.5. I guess some years might not get a revision (in number) at all and some might add a whole number if something very big changes but those would probably be few and far between.

Regardless, the point I was making is that when Tesla starts advertising things could get a bit interesting; especially if Tesla just uses version numbers instead of model years. The reason I'm saying this is because some vehicle ads (usually television ads) I've seen say a model year the car while others (usually print) do not. Per Tesla's use of revision numbers I don't have a problem with it, I'm just making an observation.

That'll be the "Roadster Vista". :biggrin:

Something like that. :wink:

Sorry, I didn't mean to push your buttons with my comment. If Tesla does a half-number revision per year (with 2012 being 1.0) after ten years you'd get 5.5. I guess some years might not get a revision (in number) at all and some might add a whole number if something very big changes but those would probably be few and far between.

Regardless, the point I was making is that when Tesla starts advertising things could get a bit interesting; especially if Tesla just uses version numbers instead of model years. The reason I'm saying this is because some vehicle ads (usually television ads) I've seen say a model year the car while others (usually print) do not. Per Tesla's use of revision numbers I don't have a problem with it, I'm just making an observation.

No buttons pushed, I got what you meant, but then I started thinking on how that might work. I wonder if they'll retire marks after a few revisions? Like Model S 4.0 is the last? They could also do like apple and make a Model S 4S :) Apple skipped right to the 3G though.

Actually, the more I think on it, the more I can see Model S4 or Model X2. They might even just start referring to them without the "Model", though BMW has an X5 and Audi has an S4.

Last edited:
Maybe the coast-to-coast DC network will be ready by then? You might be the first to test it.

Man, I'd love to take factory delivery of my Model S. It would be an epic roadtrip! DC quickcharging would make it much more feasible as well. It looks like Tesla took 19 days to drive a roadster to Detroit for the Auto Show a couple years back. 19 days is too long for me to leave the family at home, and way too long to bring them along....

No buttons pushed, I got what you meant, but then I started thinking on how that might work. I wonder if they'll retire marks after a few revisions? Like Model S 4.0 is the last? They could also do like apple and make a Model S 4S :) Apple skipped right to the 3G though.

Actually, the more I think on it, the more I can see Model S4 or Model X2. They might even just start referring to them without the "Model", though BMW has an X5 and Audi has an S4.

Cool, thanks for keeping a level head. :smile: I too have wondered what they'll do regarding revisions after several model iterations. I guess only time will tell.

Man, I'd love to take factory delivery of my Model S. It would be an epic roadtrip! DC quickcharging would make it much more feasible as well. It looks like Tesla took 19 days to drive a roadster to Detroit for the Auto Show a couple years back. 19 days is too long for me to leave the family at home, and way too long to bring them along....

It seems you are close enough to Detroit to make it likely that the whole trip can be done with "Superchargers" + overnight charging. I don't know, maybe it could be done in about 5 days, or if you include two weekends on both ends, 9 days may allow some sight seeing and more casual driving. I've heard quite a few people do this trip (coast-to-coast) just for fun.

I mapped it out and reckon 5 days from Fremont to SW Florida is quite do-able. 5 days is worth $2,000 and it could be fun to do.

Hi Nigel,

Very interesting. You found 240 volt outlets at hotels along the way?

Did Tesla deliver your Roadster to your home and were the destination charges $1,950?

Do you think picking up the Model S at the "Miami" store would reduce the destination charges?

Larry

Hi Nigel,

Very interesting. You found 240 volt outlets at hotels along the way?

Yes. But didn't contact them all; all stops (bar one I believe) would have been in major cities where charge points were available in any case.

Did Tesla deliver your Roadster to your home and were the destination charges $1,950?

Yes.

Do you think picking the Model S at the "Miami" store would reduce the destination charges?

No. But if they've got lots of Model S's to deliver, you might get it a few days earlier.

Was just talking to my old boss and coworkers an hour ago. They heard I was getting a Model S and were asking me all sorts of questions...My old boss's secretary actually owns a Leaf and he's into EVs. On our walk back downstairs he said, "Man I wish I could pull $5k together for a reservation." :biggrin: