Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wasn't able to access the first link (first post from the car, by the owner). I got an "access denied" message. I'm assuming that there are some forums that are reserved only for owners of the vehicles. Can someone confirm this? I have a Tesla login and password, but apparently that isn't enough in this case.

RT

Regarding deliveries...

first post from the car, by the owner

More from this thread...
Model S Deliveries - latest actual info on dates and vehicles being delivered | Forums | Tesla Motors

So a quick list:
  • VIN F0002x @ July 30
  • F 29 @ July 31 --logistics issue--> August 4
  • SSL 15 @ August 24
  • SSL 30 @ August 25-31
  • SSL 32 @ August 25-31
  • SSL 35 @ August 25

I was under the impression that there were certain forums that were 'private' but were open for reservation holders. I am a reservation holder, but also got an 'access denied' message. Any thoughts?

And Kimball gets his Model S ...

Kimball Model S.PNG

Yes, I, apparently got confused. I apologize for the consternation. Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. It is 35, not 32.

In reading your earlier posting I thought that you mentioned that the reservation holder discussed this in the "PNW list". I assumed you were referring to the Pacific Northwest forum. If that's what you meant can you please provide a link to the posting in that forum?

Thanks.

Larry

In reading your earlier posting I thought that you mentioned that the reservation holder discussed this in the "PNW list". I assumed you were referring to the Pacific Northwest forum. If that's what you meant can you please provide a link to the posting in that forum?

Thanks.

Larry

Sorry for being inaccurate, it's actually the Northwest Tesla Owners Club. It's a google group for tesla owners and reservation holders in the Northwest. It's not a forum on this site.

Actually, I don't think we do, but I worded it poorly;)
While I accept your definitions, for numbering purposes it makes no difference.
SSL20 and S20 don't both exist. They don't start over with S1 when all the SSLs have been delivered.
So if there are 250 Roadster owners that ordered Signatures, it will go SSL249 then SSL250, then S251.
You may as well say S249, S250, S251.
The question S36 or SSL36 is meaningless, they are the same car.

From the official Tesla forum:
Rod and Barbara | August 1, 2012

The SSL and S designations are important because both lists begin at 1 and count up. There will be a SSL 4 and a S 4 and they will be separated in delivery sequence by about 250 cars or so. I have confirmed this counting sequence with a senior Tesla representative. I expect the R and P sequence are done the same way.

As for the Founders Series, there has been no official release of the number of Founders cars that I am aware of. The senior Tesla representative I spoke with indicated there were "about" 40 Founders cars.

Based on this other posting I consider these folks very credible.

Rod and Barbara | August 1, 2012

Our Model S was delivered to our house on July 27!

We were SSL #4. In April 2012, we were offered the opportunity to transition to the Founders list as a result of a long-standing business relationship we have with Tesla Motors. We, of course, accepted and became Founders #17.

Larry

Last edited:
From the official Tesla forum:

Based on this other posting I consider these folks very credible.

Larry

I would consider them very credible as well. I should be simple enough to verify.
Is there anyone that has a S number below 230(to be conservative) that is not also a Roadster owner?

I'm not saying that they aren't credible, just that they may have misunderstood. I have never seen anyone post with a low S number that wasn't a signature special.

I would consider them very credible as well. I should be simple enough to verify.
Is there anyone that has a S number below 230(to be conservative) that is not also a Roadster owner?

I'm not saying that they aren't credible, just that they may have misunderstood. I have never seen anyone post with a low S number that wasn't a signature special.

Zythryn, I posted about forum member - and non-Roadster-owner - Laurent a couple of pages ago:

Fellow TMC forum member Laurent is "regular" Sig #2 and he confirmed that he's not SSL.

Cross-posting from TM forum...
Model S Deliveries - latest actual info on dates and vehicles being delivered | Forums | Tesla Motors
brianman said:
More on the (SSL, S, R, P) ordering of configure/finalize for the U.S. market ...

Latest date...
05/01/2012 SSL #221

Latest date...
05/08/2012 S #2

Latest date...
06/29/2012 S #1232

Latest date...
07/13/2012 R #77

Latest date...
07/19/2012 P #42

@Zythryn - Observe S #2 < SSL #221. All of these posts are in this forum's finalize thread so it's not like you had to go wandering the far reaches of the web to confirm this yourself...

Not sure if this is what you mean Zythryn, but I have S105 not SSL105. Although I am a Roadster owner, I bought mine used and apparently that doesn't count toward being on the SSL list eventhough I owned my Roadster before I made my S reservation. Anyways, my email to finalize my order came after the SSL numbers were exhausted so they did start counting back up from 1 after doing all of the SSL numbers.

Cross-posting from TM forum...

@Zythryn - Observe S #2 < SSL #221. All of these posts are in this forum's finalize thread so it's not like you had to go wandering the far reaches of the web to confirm this yourself...

But those dates are dates of configuration, correct? That would give a 30 day window, you could easily have a mixed up order.
However, I don't want to be difficult, and I very well may just be misunderstanding.

Let me ask this. Ignoring out of country orders and production...
My understanding is that there are 1000 signatures.
If we had 1-250SSL and
1-1273SL
That adds up to over 1500 Signatures? Now I know there are some deferments, and probably a few cancelations, but 500 or so?
Or, are there 250 Special Signatures AND 1000 Signatures in the US?

Not sure if this is what you mean Zythryn, but I have S105 not SSL105. Although I am a Roadster owner, I bought mine used and apparently that doesn't count toward being on the SSL list eventhough I owned my Roadster before I made my S reservation. Anyways, my email to finalize my order came after the SSL numbers were exhausted so they did start counting back up from 1 after doing all of the SSL numbers.

That is, thank you Sparrow! I am guessing my assumption on the number of Signatus out there was off.
Thank you all for helping with my confusion, now I am just dazed;)

But those dates are dates of configuration, correct? That would give a 30 day window, you could easily have a mixed up order.
However, I don't want to be difficult, and I very well may just be misunderstanding.

If we had 1-250SSL and
1-1273SL
That adds up to over 1500 Signatures? Now I know there are some deferments, and probably a few cancelations, but 500 or so?

Zythryn,

You need to go back a couple of pages on this thread and see the dialogue between Brianman and me. Brianman's theory (which seems most logical) is that as Sig Specials were reserved, Tesla left holes in the "regular" Sig sequence, so even though both lists started with 1, and the regular Sig list eventually went to 1000 (and now to over 1200), there were ~244 open spaces left in the regular Sig sequence to account for the Sig Specials that were being reserved. We wouldn't see these gaps in the sequence because we don't know everyone who has a Sig reservation, but it is the best explanation I've heard to explain how both sequences could have started at 1 and still only reserved 1000 total Sigs.

If we had 1-250SSL and
1-1273SL

My understanding is that reservation lists were compressed a few times until about the end of 2011, but then not anymore. We don't know how many cancellations there have been before the last compression(s).

The S# was at about #1000 when signatures were announced as "sold out" beginning of 2012.

So it seems that the S# numbers contain holes for the SSL# numbers, as we think they have a total of 1000 and the highest S# at that time was #1000.

Meanwhile the S# is at 1278, so there must have been at least 278 cancellation, deferrals or processing glitches. Theoretically possible that in some cases, things got messed up during the reservation process and they created a new reservation instead of fixing the existing one, even though nobody cancelled.

In any case, if we assume that there are still about 1000 signature cars being delivered, then the numbering through 1278 (now) contains 278 holes.

So the number of still valid non-SSL signature reservations is now maybe 500 less than 1278, but 244 of those 500 are still valid SSL reservations.

The sequence of numbers up to 1278 includes plain valid S# (non-SSL) reservations, gaps for SSL numbers (where the SSL number is not the same number as the number of the gap), and gaps for cancellations/glitches.

According to this interpretation, assuming a total of 1000 signature cars will be built, there are 278 cancellations/glitches, plus some cancellations before the last compression(s) of the list(s) took place. (Except for changes in the last few days).