Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I signed up for my reservation a few weeks ago (thankfully I'm now six spots from the "back of the queue" :wink:), the website indicated that reservations for the Signature Series were all sold out. It also says, "We will open a Signature Series wait list to all reservation holders by the end of January." I read this to mean that if you hold a current reservation for a non-sig, you can sign up to get on a list for the Sig in the event that people drop their reservation after production starts, but it doesn't guarantee you a Sig.

Am I looking at this correctly? What happens to your non-sig reservation if you get on the wait list?

I am considering dropping off the Sig list since Sigs only come in black, white, red and silver(grey) and I have other preferences. Since I am near the front of the list, a P lister would probably get added to the end of the Sig list (probably only a couple months' wait), the line would move up to fill my spot, and I would sit in the P list until my color choice became available -- hopefully not more than a few months. If you were late on the wait list, you would need to have a lot of people drop off the Sig list, as you said, it does not guarantee you a Sig, just puts you in a vacated spot if enough are vacated.

There might be others who will drop off the Sig list who find they cannot get grey, blue, green or brown until after the Sigs are all sold. My advocate tells me that Tesla would try to place Sig droppers according to the date they put down their deposit, supposedly filling holes in the P list. If there are no holes for a ways, the Sig dropper would move back to the first available hole. If their color choice is not available yet, due to inability of the factory to run that many colors (!), the Sig dropper would wait until that color came available, and then wait for a hole.

I would far rather keep my position as an early supporter of Tesla, and drive a Sig Series to show that support, but there doesn't seem to be any option if I don't want the proffered color (red) or shade (black, midtone, or white).

I would guess that your P spot would stay the same unless you picked up a Sig reservation spot. If you never got a Sig spot, you would still be near the end of the P list. It would be a great way to get moved WAY up in line!

Much like the learnings from the Roadster that will be apply to the S, X, and Bluestar...

I hope they learn something from the reservation system of the S. More specifically, I think a good starting point is that every reservation gets a P number. When/if upgrading to an S number, you keep your P number. This solves the "finding the next hole" and fairness thing pretty well, IMO.

Of course, I called him back and gave him 5k just in case I decide to stretch it out to Apr 2013. I don't know how many "normals" would do that. What if it wasn't just warranty I was worried about? What if my current car was a lease?

Well, my thought is that this is all part of a unique time in Tesla's (still-to-be-written) history. As they ramp up to annual production of 20k cars they'll start eating away on the reservation list fairly quickly (especially when Model X starts stealing attention) and more buyers will have short to no waiting time, be they normal or not... :)

Have you considered hopping on the signature wait list? Depending on how you planned to configure the car it may make sense for you, plus you'd be getting it this summer sometime. Even if you don't go signature, you may get it by the end of the year if you go 300mile and jump the line enough.

I would love to get on the signature waitlist. I just didn't know that was an option.

My plan is to get the performance model, but signature performance would be just fine.

I am considering dropping off the Sig list since Sigs only come in black, white, red and silver(grey) and I have other preferences.

Rob, which color are you going for then? I wanted to consider going to the back of the P queue to wait for Muir Red (set to be available in 2013) but, thought better of it - am settling for Sequoia Green instead.

Rob, which color are you going for then? I wanted to consider going to the back of the P queue to wait for Muir Red (set to be available in 2013) but, thought better of it - am settling for Sequoia Green instead.

I see that the poll done on "colors for production Model S" has changed a mite, but I find it interesting that the poll shows the choices of black, white and silver *below* the colors of blue, green or brown.

What's your color? - production

Tesla holds the position that it is a "small group", and I reply that I have never seen a Tesla Poll. Their choice to offer only black, red, white and silver comes from national sales, which I think do not appropriately indicate what a group like this would choose. I have heard many times someone telling about their new car, when asked what kind, reply ,"silver". Most drivers know absolutely nothing about what they drive. That is not true with Tesla buyers.

I prefer the Anza Brown with the tan / banana leaf interior.