Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately there's no way to know what the net reservation rate is (i.e., new reservations minus dropped reservations). My guess is that the pricing/options announcement will have three effects:
  1. Cancellations from those who now realize they can't afford the Model S they want;
  2. Decline in new reservations from people looking to get a $50k high-end EV; and
  3. Increase in reservations from people looking to buy a $70k-$100k premium vehicle.
I'm still amazed that there are so many people willing to wait more than a year for a new car. Of course, I'll have waited 32 months or so for mine.

Unfortunately there's no way to know what the net reservation rate is (i.e., new reservations minus dropped reservations). My guess is that the pricing/options announcement will have three effects:
  1. Cancellations from those who now realize they can't afford the Model S they want;
  2. Decline in new reservations from people looking to get a $50k high-end EV; and
  3. Increase in reservations from people looking to buy a $70k-$100k premium vehicle.
I'm still amazed that there are so many people willing to wait more than a year for a new car. Of course, I'll have waited 32 months or so for mine.

Right, I see your point. The alternative then is to track the number of reservation holders Tesla gives in their quarterly earnings report; that would be a NET number. Snapshots in three month increments I would think would be a better indicative of trend lines than the weekly (and more often) updates we get from the OP anyway.

Finally bit the bullet and reserved today - P6415. Planning on getting the 40kWh, possibly with a tech package. I still haven't seen the car, so whether we actually purchase depends on the test drive and some clarifications about certain features (i.e. DC charging the 40kWh pack)

Last edited:
Good plan zdre. Frankly, if I were buying the base 40kWh model, I wouldn't even be tempted by the tech package. Since it would be a primarily local car, I doubt I would need turn-by-turn (I've used my smartphone for that purpose exactly once in the last three years) and nothing else in the package is really a must-have for me.

The pano roof and possibly the air suspension would much more tempting to me. I would probably buy the base+pano and be quite happy with that. Don't count on DC charging with the 40.

I was holding out on making my reservation until the final pricing was announced. I think that alot of people like myself who are right on the edge of being able to afford the 160 mile S were probably holding out to find out how much they would need to spend in options to get the car they really want. In my case, the only options I want are the leather interior, and the blue paint, so I know that I am good to go (I was worried leather was going to be a $3000 plus option, pushing the car out of the price range I can afford) Now that I know I can afford my S (although just barely), I plan on making my reservation when I am in ft. Lauderdale next week (plan on stopping in at the Dana Beach store to do it in person). I will update everyone with my reservation number as soon as I have it.

I was holding out on making my reservation until the final pricing was announced. I think that alot of people like myself who are right on the edge of being able to afford the 160 mile S were probably holding out to find out how much they would need to spend in options to get the car they really want. In my case, the only options I want are the leather interior, and the blue paint, so I know that I am good to go (I was worried leather was going to be a $3000 plus option, pushing the car out of the price range I can afford) Now that I know I can afford my S (although just barely), I plan on making my reservation when I am in ft. Lauderdale next week (plan on stopping in at the Dana Beach store to do it in person). I will update everyone with my reservation number as soon as I have it.

Congratulations! It's great that the pricing met your hopes/expectations, and you'll be able to get the Model S. I'm sure you've already factored this in, but the money you'll save over the course of the life of owning the car should more than make up for the up-front investment you make in buying it. No gas and minimal maintenance should end up saving you substantially in the end. The true cost of ownership if you keep the car 3-5 years (or more) should make the same "price" as a $35k car.

Hi Rifleman,

Congratulations to another fellow Floridian.

What part of Florida ere are you from?

Larry

Hi Rifleman,

Congratulations to another fellow Floridian.

What part of Florida ere are you from?

Larry

I'm actually from Ohio, but will be 2 miles away from the Dana Beach store for business next week, so I plan on making my reservation then. Hopefully they will be able to give me my reservation number on the spot. I will let everyone know as soon as I do.

I'm actually from Ohio, but will be 2 miles away from the Dana Beach store for business next week, so I plan on making my reservation then. Hopefully they will be able to give me my reservation number on the spot. I will let everyone know as soon as I do.

Will Nicholas is the Manager over there, a very nice guy. Tell him that Arnold, Larry and Nigel all sent you..... :wink: