TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S REST API

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by timdorr, Feb 2, 2013.

1. nasatech

nasatech Vendor

Does the actuate_trunk work on Model S / Model X? Always get invalid_value when trying.

2. dpskipper

dpskipper Developer

Yep they work.
    How are you sending the API request? More often than not your implementation is wrong.

3. nasatech

nasatech Vendor

Thank you for replying :)

I use this: https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/api/1/vehicles/<vehicleid>/command/actuate_trunk?which_trunk=rear

All other commands work.

4. mianesva

mianesva New Member

Your request likely looks like:

POST /api/1/vehicles/zzzzzzz/command/actuate_trunk?which_trunk=rear HTTP/1.1
    User-Agent: yyyyy
    Authorization: Bearer xxxxx
    Host: owner-api.teslamotors.com
    Connection: close
    Content-Length: 0

with your values for x,y,z....

I duplicated your current result of:

{"response":{"reason":"invalid_value","result":false}}

Instead of passing the commend as parameter on the url just pass them as value in the body. Note the additional Content-Type header and its value to indicate the type of data you are passing in the body for the POST request

POST /api/1/vehicles/zzzzzz/command/actuate_trunk HTTP/1.1
    User-Agent: yyyyy
    Authorization: Bearer xxxxxx
    Content-Type: application/json
    Host: owner-api.teslamotors.com
    Connection: close
    Content-Length: 22

{"which_trunk":"rear"}

Which yields a valid response:

{"response":{"reason":"","result":true}}

• Helpful x 1
  5. nasatech

nasatech Vendor

Perfect! Got it working. Thanks :)

6. hans

hans P631

I have done an `npm publish` of the latest teslams.js (version 1.3.0) so it should work from either source on github or via `npm install`.

Special thanks to cbrandlehner for the fix.

7. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

Tesla Control lets you schedule start and stop times. It’s done with background tasks.

8. lonertic

lonertic Member

I can find the start/stop charging commands (no details about what the httpbody payload should be though?)... however, is there such a command that could set the charging current remotely? I haven't seen one in the official app but I'm wondering if an API for it exists (or if someone managed to sniff one out)?

9. Dazboj

Dazboj Member

Unfortunately not. This is a holy grail I have been waiting for (And tweeting Elon).
    If the API allowed us to set the charge rate, I could utilise much more of my solar export by keeping the charge rate the same as solar excess.

• Love x 1
  10. lonertic

lonertic Member

EXACTLY the reason why I asked for it too :) Tweet him again, I'd imagine we're not the only ones thinking about this... Since my solar inverter can't work in island mode, and I can't send any predetermined amount of power towards the car first before exporting excess, having the car "pull" a corresponding amperage out of the inverter in line with solar output seems to make a lot of sense!

I'm guessing you already tried obvious stuff like command/set_charge_current (as opposed to set_charge_limit) just to see if the API actually exists right? (i just tested it now, got a 400 bad request).. that makes me think, i wonder what other hidden APIs there are.. possible able to just guess a bunch i think

11. dpskipper

dpskipper Developer

Mate it doesn't exist

12. markb1

markb1 Active Member

There's a different way to achieve this, by using the load sharing protocol of the Tesla Wall Connector. (This requires wiring something to the wall connector.) There's a thread here:

New Wall Connector load sharing protocol

And source code here:

cdragon/TWCManager

13. lonertic

lonertic Member

Nice! But unfortunately my car is 2015, so is my HPWC... so I can only assume it's the "older" model with older firmware/hardware that can't run that... and it wouldn't be as precise as the car controlling draw either, because HPWC selector is still in stepped amps, whereas car is single digit amp changes... really wish an API was available! :( What about canbus message within the car? anyone?

14. markb1

markb1 Active Member

It requires a second generation wall connector, but I believe it will work with any Model S/X/3.

15. dpskipper

dpskipper Developer

That's doable, as the car is the one that talks to EVSE and requests the current

16. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Don't know if anyone here cares, but the newest firmware 46.x changed the timestamp format for charging start time again. It's back to long-UNIX style UTC, no longer readable with the "T" in the middle. Re-broke some of my scripts after the update. Just had to go back to before Nov. 2 to see what I had changed so that I could undo it.

• Informative x 1
  17. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

I had coded Tesla Control to handle both formats guessing they would switch back at some point.