Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Service Contracts - the poll edition(tm)!

Your opinion of the Tesla service plan announced in the blog post of 9/10/2012?

• Tesla really screwed the pooch on this one -- it costs too much and I'm canceling my reservation!

Votes: 34 12.3%
  • The price is high, it isn't a new model of service. I'll reluctantly pay because I feel I have to.

Votes: 131 47.3%
  • All things considered, it feels roughly in line with what I expected, and I'll pay for it.

Votes: 86 31.0%
  • Tesla's service plans are a great deal and I'll happily pay it!

Votes: 26 9.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just comparing Volvo and AUDI here in switzerland with the planed service from TESLA:

volvo gives you 10 years or 150'000km free of service charges!

AUDI 10 years or 100'000km

Sorry TESLA, but in my eyes FAIL
10 years of free service? I think you mean warranty?

I have a new Toyota Auris and I pay:
- 15.000km: EUR 178
- 30.000km: EUR 278
- 45.000km: EUR 178
- 60.000km: EUR 278

I'm at 52.000km right now in 1.5 years, my total was EUR 634

My Audi A3 before this was worse, I paid insane amounts of money to Audi. So I don't think $600 / EUR 600 is that unreasonable for a Model S.

I've never had a new BMW 5-series or a Mercedes E-Class, but they will cost you a LOT more.

As a comparison, since no one has mentioned it yet, Audi no longer includes free maintenance beyond the first year as they used to. However you can purchase a prepaid maintenance package call Audi Care for $800 that covers 4 years. I think they estimate maintenance, if paid out of pocket, is twice that, so $1600 for 4 years. That's $200 a year prepaid, or $400 a year pay as you go. So, yeah Tesla maintenance cost more than Audi.

But the real deal winner for me is the $100 flat ranger fee. I don't know about you all, but I've never been able to get to the dealer, in for annual maintenance, and out in less than 2 hours total. It's usually 3+. Royal pain in the a$$ and a waste of time. Depending on how much you value your time, the Tesla + Ranger package is actually a good deal.

Audi: $200 maintenance (prepaid) + 3 hours of my time
Tesla: $600 maintenance (prepaid w/Ranger) + 0 hours of my time

This for me is key as well. I've even left my Roadster in the garage, drove my Jetta for the day, and the Ranger fixed my car while I was at work and left. How many other dealerships will fix your car in your own garage without you even being there? I realize not everyone can just drive another car for the day while their car is being worked on but they'll even work on your Model S at your place of work.

Also, nothing is free. I'm sure BMW is getting paid for their 'free maintenance' during the first 4 years by bundling the cost into their car. They just have lowers costs and can spread them out among more customers. I was hoping it would be less than $600/year too so hopefully they'll reduce that at some point. The software updates should be free as well.

Remember, Tesla has increased their employee base 1000% I believe (up to 3,000 people) in the past few years and is increasing the number of service centers. This isn't free either. I would like to know what happens if you don't go in for service. The 12,500 miles seems on par with others though but they should explain what it will cost if you drive more than that per year.

Found this:
The Truth About No-Cost Maintenance - MSN Autos

Last edited:
nope, I mean free service: VOLVO swiss premium

sorry it's a german website, but you'll see there the mentioned free service right at the top of the page

update: here's the similar website from AUDI: AUDI swiss package

It's only "free" in the sense that you don't pay extra..., but you pay/paid for it. It's also a way to keep you close, so when unwarranteed stuff needs replacing they can do it. It also keeps you coming around wasting time until your car is done giving you ample time to see the new shiny 2013 model that you can't help but getting in to giving you that "isn't about time to get a new car" feeling.

I am not happy to pay 600/year or 12k mi, but it's a price I would be willing to pay for keeping my Model S in top shape and not having to go to a service station.

of course you are paying these "free" service at some point, no illusions there...
For the moment, I own a 50k$ car without included service and it goes every second year for one day in the service. During this day I'll get a Testcar for free, so I can try another type. Every second year around 400-500$, thats it!

but 600$ every year? come on...

sorry, I'm not a native english ;)

I believe this is reasonable. $100 per ranger visit is really great! Who else will service your car at your home or office? It's worth it just for the convenience! Add brakes and other consumables not covered under warranty, and im fine.

But how often have you had to replace your brake pads before 50,000 miles. I've never had that done. And with regen I would expect pads to last about 100,000 miles. Wiper blades is a nice addition but at $25 a shot I hardy see a benefit to not doing it myself.

I believe that as Roadster owners many of our members have been spoiled with service that has been 'Over the top'. As owners of Teslas proof of concept vehicle, they went out of their way to make things inexpensive. We have many reports here of items replaced, repaired, at Tesla's dime. There were only 2500 cars. Now they will have 20,000 per year. They can't support service centers every 100 miles on sales alone.

I agree and disagree here. Yes it would be hard to extend Tesla mechanics/service techs without doing something like this. But charging people $760 (20,000 miles a year) to drive their car to a service center to get service twice a year is pretty rough. Right now I change my oil 2-3 times a year for about $100 a shot.

I say give Tesla a break. If you want something really good, it is usually not Free.

I agree here also but really for an inspection every 7 months is going to suck for me. And at $450 to do it and all the fluids they replace is wiper fluid how is that not WAY worse than a basic car?

Edit: I do agree that software upgrades and monitoring should be included during the warranty period at least. Full functionality of the vehicle you purchase should be part of the "Tesla Experience" !

We will have to find out how that shakes out. I have a bad feeling they will be tied to 'maintenance' (because it really seems just like inspections) so you don't forgo. Kind of like a hostage, along with the warranty hostage.

- - - Updated - - -

Will this include realignment, balance or rotate the tires? Include fixing cracked windshields? Include fixing paint scratches or dings? I doubt any of it, but if it does, then it's a trememdous value. As it currently stands I don't feel like paying for it. Do I void my warranty at that point? Am I being forced to bring my car in prior to reaching 12.5K miles/year to keep my warranty? That doesn't sound like a warranty it sounds like another fee.

I doubt the maintenance plan would cover any of that stuff. It all seems like repair / tire work.

- - - Updated - - -

Well my services have been about 750 average and stuff started breaking at about 50k miles: engine mounts, brake pads, water coolers, door locks, etc.

Hopefully the tms fares a lot better! At least annual maintenance is lower.

Yes but broken items aren't maintenance. They are warranty or repair. Either Tesla eats that cost or you do.

It's only "free" in the sense that you don't pay extra..., but you pay/paid for it. It's also a way to keep you close, so when unwarranteed stuff needs replacing they can do it. It also keeps you coming around wasting time until your car is done giving you ample time to see the new shiny 2013 model that you can't help but getting in to giving you that "isn't about time to get a new car" feeling.

I am not happy to pay 600/year or 12k mi, but it's a price I would be willing to pay for keeping my Model S in top shape and not having to go to a service station.

Yes but the other car companis were able to put it in while having a competative price. Tesla put on their competative price and then includes less. It startet with range and performance. Then got further with the gimmiks, and now with the service. And like many people stated that is one of the points wich they advertise the car practiacally doesn't need. Even worse, many said that they probably try to cross sell it with the software updates.

They growed too fast? they need their service centers everywhere? Honestly not my problem. If they want to hide those costs in the price, do it in a way buyers don't feel cheated. This is just a bad move.

The $100 flat fee for ranger service is excellent. This takes alot of worries out of living in a city without a service center.

The $600 a year service, on the other hand, is way to expensive. All of my calculations on why driving electric is preferable to ICE take into account lower maintence costs. On the 2011 Mustang that I used to own (my most expensive ICE car to date) annual service added up to be about $100 a year (2 oil changes, a tire rotation, and new wiper blades.) Belts, Break pads and rotors, and spark plugs should not need to be replaced within the service periods, and if they did, I would suspect that it was more of a warranty issue due to a defect than normal wear and tear. I dont think that I will be subscribing to the service plan, and if Tesla holds out software updates or voids the warranty on Model S's that are not serviced annually, I may need to cancel my reservation. I am already REALLY stretching the budget to buy a Model S, and an extra $600 is likely a deal breaker for me. If the new vehicle warranty covers and defects, I am more than capable of rotating my own tires and changing my own wiper blades, and will be willing to take the risk of not having the car inspected annually, but if I loose that warranty protection, and will not receive much needed software updates, that risk is to much to bear.

This service plan will deter many potential Tesla customers, especially those looking at the 40 kWh vehicle. I am going to go on the record to say that the annual service plan just killed the 40 kWh Model S, as anyone who was buying it in the first place was probably stretching the budget to begin with, and adding another $50 a month to their payment is likely a deal breaker.

I'm seeing opinions all over the place, and I figured "hey, why not start a poll?!" So, it's public opinion time!

One other comment - PLEASE don't vote "I'm canceling" if you're really not going to. This isn't an OMGWTFBBQ!! option that you get to make just for the sake of complaining. :^)

- - - Updated - - -

There were a few other choices I could have added - such as "I hate the maintenance fee but great job on Ranger service" - because it would make the poll way too complex. Chances are that Ranger service is factored into the equation anyway, so that if they adjusted the price of the plans they may have to re-price Ranger service. So let's stick with these.

Last edited:
The prepaid 4 year service plan is $1,900, plus $100 for every ranger visit if you won't/can't bring the car into a service point. Maximum cost is §2,300
The prepaid 4 year service plan with unlimited ranger visits is $2,400.

That is $500 for unlimited ranger visits (in fact limited to up to 4 visits) versus between $0 and $400.

To me it looks you pay more for the plan with unlimited ranger visits and get less. Is my math flawed or is this poorly priced by Tesla?

The apparent benefit of the unlimited is in the wording on warranty repairs where it is stated that ranger visits are not included on warranty repairs. It would appear that the extra $100 gets you unlimited ranger coverage for warranty repairs for the first 4 years.

Rifleman184205 said:
This service plan will deter many potential Tesla customers, especially those looking at the 40 kWh vehicle. I am going to go on the record to say that the annual service plan just killed the 40 kWh Model S, as anyone who was buying it in the first place was probably stretching the budget to begin with, and adding another $50 a month to their payment is likely a deal breaker.

Yeah this service plan has all but dashed my dreams of stretching the 60kWh pack. I don't think I need it but it sure would be nice. And the distances I drive this maintenance plan would be lucky to last 30 months.

I can probably handle it. But I would want a loaner Model S for the day when I drop mine off. I would want new wiper blades whenever (I tend to change mine about 2-3 times a year, yeah I spend over $100 a year on wiper blades currently; in high school I ALWAYS had one or two spare sets of wiper blades, and replaced them about every 2 months; the rain in Tampa can be really hard so it was worth it) I think mine are going bad. If they washed and vacuumed it that would also be a big benefit. My VW dealer did that until water restrictions hit, and somehow no washing came with no more vacuuming. And I will admit that I have had a couple of $600 services. One on my Jetta TDI at 40k, and one on my GTI at 80k. But having a $600 service every 12.5k and not having a $100 (or $160 for my TDI, 505.01 oil is expensive!) oil changes with that make it seem like so much.

You know, I thought about that and I waffled a lot before deciding against it - I suppose it's an option that could go in there -- "I think it's excessive and I'll go without a service contract". Like the complexity given to the hate-maintenance, like-ranger, I was concerned it could get confused. But I can see how I missed that. Mods, if you want to add an option in there, between first and second you could add the text I had.

I voted that Tesla screwed the pooch on this one. I am not yet sure that I am going to cancel over this, but that option is on the table. If the service contract is mandatory for software updates and warranty, the risk of not signing up for the service plan is too great, and the Model S may be financially just out of reach for me.

It costs me about $1,200 for my Roadster's annual maintenance, since I live about 300 miles from Seattle, the nearest service location. The ranger spent an entire day working on the car. He removed the PEM and cleaned the dust out of it, and he inspected everything. It's a high-performance sports car, limited edition and hand-built, and is the quickest thing on the roads anywhere near me. (Supposedly there are a few others here, but I've never seen one except when the EV club had a display at a state fair several years ago.) I accept the cost because of what the car is. And the ranger is really great. And although I have to be here to open my garage for him, I don't have to stick around while he works.

But EVs have always been touted as needing less maintenance than gasoline cars. The Model S apparently still needs more. And even though the PEM is water-cooled and so does not need to be removed and cleaned, which is a big item with the Roadster service, the fee is the same, though the ranger visit fee is less for people who live more than 50 miles away from a center.

What I see as the big issue here is that Tesla is giving the lie to the assertion that EVs are simpler to maintain. I paid the Toyota dealer $21.71 for my annual oil change and inspection. The Model S is a much nicer car. But $600 vs. $22 does not look like "simpler to maintain."

I'd have another question not addressed above, as far as I saw: Model S ranger visits are a flat $100 on the maintenance plan, but what about out-of-warranty work? Is that still just $100 per visit? Or is the second visit of the year charged at $1/mile?

The Model S is still a high-end car, and presumably if you can afford $50K to $90K for a car, you can afford $600 + $100 for an annual inspection (in the absence of any actual maintenance items, presumably service is principally a thorough inspection). But what happens when they're trying to sell the GenIII for $30,000 and trying to push for mass conversion of people from no-limits gas cars to maybe 150-mile EVs, and charging $600 for service, while Toyota is charging $22?

FWIW, "service" on my Zap Xebra consisted of shooting some grease into the aftermarket front suspension once a year. The local corner auto service place refused to even charge me for that.

My bottom-line comment is: If you're going to charge $600 and spend "several hours" (or all day in the case of the Roadster) on service, then don't claim that maintenance is less on an EV. Talk instead about how clean EVs are, and the benefits to the nation of using domestic energy in a world where many oil exporters do not like us and rising global demand and diminishing supplies are going to make gasoline ever more expensive.

P.S. I Googled Nissan Leaf service fee. AutoblogGreen says the 6-month fee ranges from $89 to free (at some dealerships). Consumer Reports says they called one Southern CA dealership and were quoted $292.

This sucks. They took one of the important selling points of an EV out to the back of the factory and shot it in the head.

They took the car from $50,000 to $50,000 + $600 per year.

The blog post was terrible. It didn't explain about how this works with the warranty at all. It waxed lyrical about how great EVs are ("over a thousand fewer moving parts!") and then, boom, but somehow they're $600 per year to maintain. Say what? Weren't we just reading about how little maintenance is needed?

And creep? What a terrible example. I never like that "feature" of automatics anyway. I certainly don't care to be overpaying for the option.

Paying $100 for someone to come and service the car is a bargain. But then to pay him $600 to change the wipers? Ouch. It doesn't even rain much where I live!

OTOH if they'd made the car $52,500 with 4 years service included, all this bad press would be non-existent. As it is, they've taken one of their sales promises ("routine maintenance is minimal") and given it a swift kick to the nut sack.

After the warranty expires it'll presumably be $600/year + parts (and labor?) Ouch again.

This is a bitter pill to swallow.

If some of the money goes toward software updates then I'm ok with it. I know they employ a lot of engineers working on updates and I want to keep them coming!

Creep is nice for two reasons: so valets don't roll back into something and for traffic you just have to use the break pedal. I'd probably turn it off otherwise.