Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Service Contracts - the poll edition(tm)!

Your opinion of the Tesla service plan announced in the blog post of 9/10/2012?

• Tesla really screwed the pooch on this one -- it costs too much and I'm canceling my reservation!

Votes: 34 12.3%
  • The price is high, it isn't a new model of service. I'll reluctantly pay because I feel I have to.

Votes: 131 47.3%
  • All things considered, it feels roughly in line with what I expected, and I'll pay for it.

Votes: 86 31.0%
  • Tesla's service plans are a great deal and I'll happily pay it!

Votes: 26 9.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I find the $600 unimpressive, I can live with it (or at least the first 4 years) *grumble, grumble*. But now I will need to decide if I must get the ranger service after reading on various threads about how many times Tesla has had to go fix/help the people who have already gotten their Model S. With them changing from "Vancouver will be getting a service centre in the fall" to "by March," this means I may need them to come out numerous times and by the time there is a service station here (Richmond is part of the Vancouver area for people who don't know) it will hopefully be minimally required. So will I need to get the Ranger service to cover the first while when thereafter I will have a centre nearby? I dunno.

As a comparison, since no one has mentioned it yet, Audi no longer includes free maintenance beyond the first year as they used to. However you can purchase a prepaid maintenance package call Audi Care for $800 that covers 4 years. I think they estimate maintenance, if paid out of pocket, is twice that, so $1600 for 4 years. That's $200 a year prepaid, or $400 a year pay as you go. So, yeah Tesla maintenance cost more than Audi.

The expensive maintenance on VAG cars is not needed until after 4 years. I'm talking about things like timing belts and DSG gearbox oil. Both those cost me more than $1000 to do on my VW TDI. Interval for the timing belt is 5 years or 75,000 miles, whatever comes first. DSG gearbox oil, 75,000 miles.

- - - Updated - - -

Just comparing Volvo and AUDI here in switzerland with the planed service from TESLA:

volvo gives you 10 years or 150'000km free of service charges!

AUDI 10 years or 100'000km

Sorry TESLA, but in my eyes FAIL

While in Norway, no maintenance is included on any of the premium cars. You usually pay through the nose ($1000 per service is quite common).

I am sure all of us on this forum talk up EV's to our colleagues, friends, families, etc.

And we've all told people the reasons WHY we either drive EV's or are on this list.

And all the points we make are valid.

But not this one.

Especially for the "$50k" version, how are we to justify this to ourselves, let alone anyone else?

Tesla, for **** sake, remove that blog before Google caches it ... oops, too late. :smile:

You cannot get away with it. Someone here said you'll lose 2% of the list. I say rubbish, far higher.

Had you "hid" the cost in the car itself, totally different story, but your loyal supporters now look a bit foolish.

And dwindling by the day.

This is, IMO, the first HUGE blunder you've made since you started.

(And I don't mean the Ranger fees, the $600 per year or for those driving 20,000 a year ... FORGET it.)

- - - Updated - - -

You could always say you were hacked into by Anonymous ... and you're hosted at GoDaddy? :crying:

Why would you purchase it?

I was told $1 per mile for a tech visit. Why wouldn't I just wait until I have a problem and then call for a tech and pay in my case $94 + parts & labor?
I'm not expecting to have any problems outside of warranty, and not before 4 years & 50,000 miles. Even the most poorly made cars can get through this break in period.

If I do have a problem and a part is needed that is not covered under the warranty, I will still have to pay for the parts replacement plus possible labor even if I had this service agreement correct?

If my system needs a software update (and I mean needs), i'm pretty sure Tesla will want me to have it considering they have a liability issue if it is needed for the car they sold me.

Why would I purchase this?

I'm surprised the service page doesn't mention a free Model S loaner as part of the package, that will be one of biggest annoyances for me, with the seattle service center being in downtown seattle (40 minute drive for me, I can drop it off, but if I need to take the bus or go with my wife in a 2nd car, that's not going to be a great service experience)

I think the true value of the service contract is:

1) software updates. These have new features in them for quite some time.
2) remote monitoring and diagnostics
3) pre-paid annual service
4) replacement of all the non-warranty parts (except tires)

Cost of #4 shouldn't be a big deal. What we don't know is the cost of annual service and whether remote monitoring/diagnostics and software updates can be purchased separately and what they'll cost if they can be purchased separately.

The software updates and remote diags seems like a pretty fair value to me.

The mileage cap hurts. But BMW's US service plan is also capped at 4 years / 50K miles so it's in line with the competition.

I think Telsa's going to have to come out with ala carte pricing for remote monitoring/diags and software updates for the high mileage drivers or allow people to buy more miles/years. BMW US has an option to purchase an extra 2 years which also gives you unlimited miles.

I'm taking a deep breath and looking at the details on the Tesla site again.

I happen to live about 5 miles from the Toronto Service Center, so Ranger service is a non-issue for me, but I do feel $100 is not unreasonable for those that need or like the service.

I can't tell if the Annual or Pre-Paid plans are "compulsory" or "optional". I drive over 20k a year, and as such would need 2 of these $600 services a year!

My expectation is that if I have a warranty issue, I drive (or tow) it to the Tesla Service Center and they fix it whether or not I have a "Plan". My Auto Club membership pays for that. I further expect that all software updates, recalls and such are performed as part of the car's basic warranty.

What is not clear is what is meant by "New Features". There has been talk of parking assist, blind spot alert and adaptive cruise being made available at some future date. If that is confirmed, it *may* tip the scales a bit.

Bottom line: I will forego the Service Plan unless Tesla can demonstrate a clear, tangible benefit to me.

Just a suggestion to Tesla to make the cost conscious happy. Perhaps they could come out with a Service Plan Lite with No ranger service at all (you have to take the car in), and consumables are not included. Just inspection and updates.

Also, I expect that as everyone gets more familiar with the issues that may come up that the inspection mileage interval may be extended. This is a new model and engineering. I understand why they want to see them every 12,500 miles. If issues are prevalent they need to be on top of them. They can't be if they dont inspect the cars.

^ you have this right, we7313. Your approach will work unless Tesla states that your warranty would be null and void if you don't get this routine "maintenance" done. For me personally, the Fremont mega-service center at the factory is 10 miles away; I can choose to drive the car in (if it's drivable) if there's a problem covered by the warranty.

I'm still shaking my head about all this :frown: The cost is something that I can convince myself about (as I have, about a $80k+ car to begin with) but, essentially, I feel let down badly (or, to use a stronger word, cheated) by a company that I admire otherwise.

ElSupreme, you said "blind spot detection, adaptive cruise control, auto braking when backing up (in about 90% of vehicles), and back up (front bumper) sensors are NOT safety features". I respectfully disagree. I have had 4 retina detachments, and 2 lens replacements before the age of 53. I hope you never have such eye problems. While I can see (the doctors were surprised that I ended up with 20/20 vision in my left eye with corrective lens and 20/25 in the rigt eye without corrective lens), images do not register as quickly as before the eye problems. Thus, anything that has the potential of improving safety is important to me. Things like blind side detection and collision avoidance systems, all of which are available on cars from Mercedes, Lexus, etc.

Once again, if you don't think you will need the product, don't pay for maintenance yearly. It can't void your warranty. The amount of rich people complaining about this really boggles my mind. People are willing to spend 90k on a car, but cry about pretty average maintenance costs?

Tesla has stated that the model S will be low maintenance. Do you think that's changed suddenly? Do a little bit of thinking here.

Tesla is a new dealership. They have to have service centers, and a lot of them. These things cost money. They could have rolled the price into the car like other manufacturers. However, they wanted to keep prices on the car as low as possible.

Now thankfully, not all rich bastards are as cheap as we are, and will just gladly pay for the piece of mind of always having their car looked at. As for me, I will probably take it in every two years. This is a win win, because the service centers get subsidized by people that don't care about money.

Tesla didn't really lie about anything. I can't believe people are thinking about cancelling over 1800 for 4 years of service on a 50-90k car. If you are that hard up for cash, go donate plasma or something.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm surprised the service page doesn't mention a free Model S loaner as part of the package, that will be one of biggest annoyances for me, with the seattle service center being in downtown seattle (40 minute drive for me, I can drop it off, but if I need to take the bus or go with my wife in a 2nd car, that's not going to be a great service experience)

Hey, I live in Seattle. If you just need a car for a couple hours, you should check out Zipcar (it's car rentals by the hour/half day/ full day). Basically for 20-30 dollars (insurance and gas are included) you can rent a car for 3-4 hours if you need one. Unfortunately the service center is in a pretty boring part of town.

For longer repairs, you're right, I wish a loaner model S was included. I kind of think these sort of things will come in a few years after the dust settles and the company is making money. Right now they don't have the cars.

Once again, if you don't think you will need the product, don't pay for maintenance yearly. It can't void your warranty.
Are you sure about that? Typically, failing to maintain the vehicle according to the manufacturer's specs invalidates the warranty. I don't think you can completely skip oil changes in an ICE, for example, or you'll invalidate the warranty.

Once again, if you don't think you will need the product, don't pay for maintenance yearly. It can't void your warranty. The amount of rich people complaining about this really boggles my mind. People are willing to spend 90k on a car, but cry about pretty average maintenance costs?

I don't think everyone here is rich, but they could justify the cost of the car because it came with much lower fueling costs, and what we have been told all along, much lower maintenance costs. There are many folks here who currently drive Volts and Prius', and I know most of them don't consider themselves rich.

As others have said, this is essentially $600 for wiper blades and software updates. Suppose early owners don't opt for the service plan. Does this mean they won't get features which have been touted for the past 2-3 years (wi-fi, door handles which extend when you approach, etc)?

I live a few hundred miles from the nearest listed service centers (including the "Coming in 2013" ones), and was prepared to pay the $600 plus a few hundred in Ranger fees, for a single annual visit. That I can prepay for four years and get free/unlimited Ranger service is a godsend. Yes, $600 seems like a lot to pay when moving away from a gas car and its associated maintenance overhead. But for peace of mind on an initial release vehicle, it is likely a bargain...especially when there is discussion of new features being backported to 2012 vehicles.

Yes, my BMW came with a 4 year/40,000 mile maintenance free program, but I hit 40K miles in just over two years, and it has cost several hundred a year minimum to maintain. My Boxster costs between two and three hundred just to change the oil, and you had better believe that is only the beginning of its annual maintenance costs. Should an electric car be eliminating and/or minimizing these costs? Heck yeah, I thought that was one of the major benefits. But you would have to be naive to expect Model S to require *zero* maintenance, despite the simplicity of its drivetrain. If you can afford to buy this car, you can afford $600 a year in maintenance, and they are well aware of that. By the time they have years of Model S maintenance data in hand, I expect the Gen III maintenance model will be different, cheaper, and/or included in the cost of the car for X years/miles.

As others have said, this is essentially $600 for wiper blades and software updates. Suppose early owners don't opt for the service plan. Does this mean they won't get features which have been touted for the past 2-3 years (wi-fi, door handles which extend when you approach, etc)?

I can say that it was made quite clear to me that the $600 annual maintenance on the Roadster was not optional. The logic used was that the AC needed to be tested and or charged each year to guarantee the required cooling for the battery pack. So unless things have changed I certainly expect the battery warranty will be contingent on annual service.

I think Tesla needs to clarify a lot here which will help alleviate a lot of people's complaints with the service plan. Please feel free to add to this list. Perhaps we can create a wiki for this thread.

1.) Can you forgo the $600/year ($1900/4 years) service plan? And if you do, will this void the warranty?
2.) Can you still receive software updates and remote diagnostics without the service plan? Will this be at a cost? Will some updates be free regardless (bug fixes, promised upgrades)?
3.) What about those that drive more than 12,500 miles / year (or 50k miles / 4 years)? Can they add to the service plan and at what cost?
4.) What about service beyond the initial 4 years? Is routine inspection the same price per year?
5.) Are loaner cars offered to those that require maintenance?
6.) Does the service plan include the 3G data plan (presumably needed for remote diagnostic)?
7.) What is covered by the limited warranty?
8.) Can you extend the warranty beyond the 4 years / 50k miles? At what cost?
9.) What is the full service schedule for the lifetime of the car? Are there significant service costs that one should anticipate at higher mileage milestones?

Tesla did itself a disservice by releasing this service plan information without providing many important details.

Last edited: