Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Service Contracts - the poll edition(tm)!

Your opinion of the Tesla service plan announced in the blog post of 9/10/2012?

• Tesla really screwed the pooch on this one -- it costs too much and I'm canceling my reservation!

Votes: 34 12.3%
  • The price is high, it isn't a new model of service. I'll reluctantly pay because I feel I have to.

Votes: 131 47.3%
  • All things considered, it feels roughly in line with what I expected, and I'll pay for it.

Votes: 86 31.0%
  • Tesla's service plans are a great deal and I'll happily pay it!

Votes: 26 9.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think I've spent close to $600/year on my NSX.

This isn't sounding so nice to me. It's not the money, but rather that it sounds like a simple rip-off. What's next they haven't told us about?

I wonder what their charge for a software update would be for someone not on the maintenance plan?

This is a joke. Tesla built a great car, but now they are going to slit their own throats by nickel and diming. Another great example of over promise and under deliver. I'm beggining to have second thoughts now.

At this rate Tesla won't need to ramp up because there wont be enough suckers to sell 20 thousand cars to. So sad.

I have been pretty defensive for Tesla on a lot of things. But this is very costly for maintenance. And when 50,000 miles will only get me about 2.5 years worth. Basically they are hanging software updates and your warranty over your head for ~$800 a year. I'll bring my car in 4 times a year for washer fluid and new wipers I guess!

I am really disappointed. :confused:

The fine text under the service plans says the warranty doesn't cover ranger trips:

I guess if you buy the $2400 plan you're covered, but you're basically pre-paying $500 towards ranger visits (as compared to the $1900 plan). The $1900 plan looks like a no-brainer if you're planning on keeping the car long term like I am and live near a service station.

If the cost of the visit of Tesla Rangers for warranty repairs is not covered under Warranty I guess it will affect negatively clients in Italy where people are used to a free service under Warranty also considering that in Italy there is not even a Tesla Service Center. Considering that the closest Tesla Service Center to Italy is in Switzerland (Zurich) I hope that for EU market the rules for Service will change with respect to the USA.

During your scheduled annual inspection (or after 12,500 miles), a service technician will spend several hours with your vehicle, conducting a full assessment of things such as brakes, tires, suspension, steering, lighting, and safety components.

I don't think any dealer has ever spent "several hours" on my vehicle with out charging me in excess of $2,000. "Maintenance" has been an oil change, tire rotation and a 10 minute long 26 point inspection, for a total of 20 minutes in the service bay, preceded by between 30 minutes and 2 hours waiting for a slot in the service bay. From my chair this looks like a good deal.

During your scheduled annual inspection (or after 12,500 miles), a service technician will spend several hours with your vehicle, conducting a full assessment of things such as brakes, tires, suspension, steering, lighting, and safety components.

I don't think any dealer has ever spent "several hours" on my vehicle with out charging me in excess of $2,000. "Maintenance" has been an oil change, tire rotation and a 10 minute long 26 point inspection, for a total of 20 minutes in the service bay, preceded by between 30 minutes and 2 hours waiting for a slot in the service bay. From my chair this looks like a good deal.

But if the S is 'simpler' than an ICE, why should a tech need to spend that much time with it? Those items listed above do not take several hours to to inspect.

Our BMW came with a number of years free maintenance as well, and so a $600 yearly maintenance fee for having a car purported/advertised to require almost no maintenance seems both excessive and even slightly offensive (free wipers! and brake pads, although they should definitely not need replacing in the first 4years). Not impressed.

+100

In effect, Tesla is charging us $2400 for the 4yr/50K mile new vehicle warranty, because I assume you can't get warranty coverage past 12 months without paying the $600 year "maintenance."

The Roadster yearly fee was obnoxious enough, but that's a hand-built, limited-edition expensive sports car, so it was OK. Model S is supposed to be mainstream and compete with the likes of BMW 5-series.

For comparison, $2400 to BMW gets you both a warranty extension to 6yr/unlimited miles (followed by 8yr/100K miles) AND free maintenance program upgrade to 6yr/100K miles on most 5-series models. Doesn't cover wiper blades, but it does cover, for instance, all brake work (including pads and rotors).

So, Tesla is way behind the curve on this one.

Hmm, there are all the things that should be included with the car for the first 4 years (aka normal warranty):
Annual inspection (or every 12,500 miles)
System monitoring
Remote diagnostics
Software updates
New features

Then the extras:
Replacement parts like brake pads and windshield wipers (excluding tires)
24 hour roadside assistance

Extras could be ~$150 per year? That roadside assistance better be as good or better than my AAA gold because that's what I'll be replacing. So we're back to $450/yr for making sure nothing is falling off the car and getting updates.

I'll agree that Tesla is behind their ICE competitors on this one. :mad:

I believe this is reasonable. $100 per ranger visit is really great! Who else will service your car at your home or office? It's worth it just for the convenience! Add brakes and other consumables not covered under warranty, and im fine.

I believe that as Roadster owners many of our members have been spoiled with service that has been 'Over the top'. As owners of Teslas proof of concept vehicle, they went out of their way to make things inexpensive. We have many reports here of items replaced, repaired, at Tesla's dime. There were only 2500 cars. Now they will have 20,000 per year. They can't support service centers every 100 miles on sales alone.

I say give Tesla a break. If you want something really good, it is usually not Free.

Edit: I do agree that software upgrades and monitoring should be included during the warranty period at least. Full functionality of the vehicle you purchase should be part of the "Tesla Experience" !

Last edited:
+100

In effect, Tesla is charging us $2400 for the 4yr/50K mile new vehicle warranty, because I assume you can't get warranty coverage past 12 months without paying the $600 year "maintenance."

The Roadster yearly fee was obnoxious enough, but that's a hand-built, limited-edition expensive sports car, so it was OK. Model S is supposed to be mainstream and compete with the likes of BMW 5-series.

For comparison, $2400 to BMW gets you both a warranty extension to 6yr/unlimited miles (followed by 8yr/100K miles) AND free maintenance program upgrade to 6yr/100K miles on most 5-series models. Doesn't cover wiper blades, but it does cover, for instance, all brake work (including pads and rotors).

So, Tesla is way behind the curve on this one.

Actually we did get complimentary wipers with BMW once per year, although I think we only used that service twice.

At a guess, one of the reasons they're charging this much is to bolster their revenue streams. With slender margins, this could be significant income for them.

Having said that, I was hoping for about $300 max. And I'm disappointed that so little is covered under warranty. All routine maintenance on my Audi A4 was free for the first 4 years.

Does take a little bit off of the amount I'm saving on gas...

Being in Utah, I am actually very happy about the service plan news. Had they gone the $1 per mile ranger route, I would be out an additional $1000 a year in ranger fees. I was thrilled to see ranger fees drop to $100 per visit, and was especially happy about the 4 year anywhere plan.

$600 a year may seem pricey, and I understand that the marginal cost to service my car may be less than $600. But the cost to Tesla is not the marginal cost of my car's service. The cost to Tesla is to build and expand the service centers, hire and train staff and rangers to care for all of the Model S's. In this the $600 +/- $100 per year cost of maintenance by Tesla is actually a nice deal.

As others have mentioned in previous threads, Tesla could have outsourced service for cheaper, cutting a deal with local dealers to service the Model S. I am very glad they did not do that. I would rather pay the $600 cost of helping Tesla build a service system (and $600 per year may not even represent that entire cost) knowing that my Model S (yes, it's important to me) is being cared for by Tesla professionals. That means something and should mean something to us as early adopters. Thus, as early adopters, we are responsible for paying a little more to help the system get built and set in place.

I do not see this as padding the bottom line. I see this as the cost of providing the best car (Model S) with the best service (Tesla).

Will this include realignment, balance or rotate the tires? Include fixing cracked windshields? Include fixing paint scratches or dings? I doubt any of it, but if it does, then it's a trememdous value. As it currently stands I don't feel like paying for it. Do I void my warranty at that point? Am I being forced to bring my car in prior to reaching 12.5K miles/year to keep my warranty? That doesn't sound like a warranty it sounds like another fee.

I think we would all appreciate a more detailed and comprehensive breakdown of what the 600 bucks is covering or tesla can just admit that this maintaince is where they are padding the bottomline.

Tesla is going to have a ton of service centers for an initially small set of owners. They're going to be money losers, there just isn't the necessary mass of owners to support them even at $600. Now, 5 years from now that might be a different story.

It's very reasonable to point out it's not cheap relative to some other cars, but they're not padding any pockets with the pricing at this point.