Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Service Experience

I wanted start a discussion about service experience with S owners.

I have a Model S Plaid that I received towards the end of last year and my service experience has been abysmal at best.

I’ve had issues noted from delivery day, (scheduled appointment in November) that still haven’t been resolved. My appointment has been rescheduled for 6 months. Often I get a message the day before the scheduled appointment stating that they need to address the issues altogether and need to reschedule.
I’ve had this happen no less than 10 times and we’re in April now.

On top of that, no guarantees for a loaner vehicle, especially considering I live over 30 miles from the closest service center. $100 a day in Uber won’t even get me home and back to the service center.

Regardless, I understand shortages of loaners, time, etc, but what I don’t understand is the lack of consideration and care for an owner. Seems like no one is concerned that I’ve been waiting 6 months for an appointment. I haven’t even gotten a decent explanation and Tesla hasn’t stated they’re waiting on parts.

I’m a very easy going person, but considering my experience, I expect at least a show of concern and desire to make things right.

I’m located in Houston btw.

I’m wondering how your service experience has been. Is anyone having a similar experience?

outdoors

Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2014
SNOTEL 787
As a 2017 S buyer the service experience has been in decline since I bought the car. The actual quality of the work for me has been good, it's the in between that gets me and most people I think.

Went from pickups in my driveway on a flatbed with a loaner left. Now it's lobbies and Uber vouchers. I am all for the mission however, but at some point it has to give. Yes at some point people will say it is not the latest Iphone or a cult. It is a car. I can get it someplace else and they love me more people move.

1. I like a consistent repeatable service experience. Tell me what it is. Sometimes it varies greatly.
2. Working on car on the date I show up. Sometimes the cars sits for days and days. Once even weeks. Why have an appointment?
3. Be able to converse with someone. Typing up some description vs a conversation is what needs to happen for most. Even if less than productive. People like the warm feeling of caring. Give me a point person on my car for each service visit.

Tesla needs to work on 1 through 3. My signature says it all. I will be buying two more EV's in the next two years. Rightnow Tesla is in the running, but service where I move next will be an issue. Going from 50 miles to a service center to more than 200.

Reactions: Wol747 and khaliq

I have a Model S Plaid that I received towards the end of last year and my service experience has been abysmal at best.

I’ve had issues noted from delivery day, (scheduled appointment in November) that still haven’t been resolved. My appointment has been rescheduled for 6 months. Often I get a message the day before the scheduled appointment stating that they need to address the issues altogether and need to reschedule.

On top of that, no guarantees for a loaner vehicle, especially considering I live over 30 miles from the closest service center. $100 a day in Uber won’t even get me home and back to the service center.

Regardless, I understand shortages of loaners, time, etc, but what I don’t understand is the lack of consideration and care for an owner. Seems like no one is concerned that I’ve been waiting 6 months for an appointment. I haven’t even gotten a decent explanation and Tesla hasn’t stated they’re waiting on parts.

I’m a very easy going person, but considering my experience, I expect at least a show of concern and desire to make things right.

I’m wondering how your service experience has been. Is anyone having a similar experience?
In the early stages of ownership I also thought service was horrible, but I’ve since learned that the issue is expecting a high level of service especially if you’ve had any experience with any luxury ICE car manufacturer..

I’m also an easy going guy, I’d make excuses for them to justify my wait and or my dissatisfaction.

The fix I’ve learned is to be very forward with your expectations.. “squeaky wheel get the oil”

A good example to help you with loaners, in the first 2 years I’ve never gotten a loaner, period. I would always ask when I got there for service and the answer was always “we don’t have” or better yet “we don’t do loaners we use Uber credits”

Now it could just be a coincidence and maybe they’ve gotten more loaners over the years.. but these days I haven’t had a service appointment that didn’t include a loaner.. my work commute can’t even be scratched by Uber credits.

After adding all my service concerns in the app I add a “something else” item and I write..

Cust Requests Loaner, due to commute that Uber credits will not cover one way.

And on Service day, I send another message to “please assign an available loaner to my appointment” with my Driver’s License number and exp. Date , and my Insurance Carriers name..

If I have an issue that requires parts, I always ask to check if all parts are in and if not to please reschedule.

The issue you may running into is the actual availability of new refresh parts..

Kandiru

Oct 20, 2014
USA
Columbus OH is still great, IMHO the 20+ little and bigger problems were all quickly forgotten, even living 100mi from the SC, with the rangers coming out and service always addressing all my issues. Nothing IMHO beats a Model S, car as tight and enjoyable as 7 years ago, just driveway swapped on the Bridgestone S-04 summer rubbers (inspected brake pads and control arms), detailed car in and out and she is back to yoga MILF equivalency status.

Reactions: flexnraptor
My Bluetooth has never worked. Had mobile appt and they tore apart the dash and doors, only to make things worse. Console wasn’t reassembled properly (doors wouldn’t close). Told me I had to schedule a SC appt, so that was done, and have had the appt bumped to May 3rd. Not a good first impression.

My service experience has been all good. I live two hours from nearest service center so have used mobile as much as possible with my previous 3 and my 22 S. Car was delivered with a rattle. I tried to locate it unsuccessfully. Scheduled mobile service. They came to my house, found rattle, fixed it, also fixed one loose piece of weatherstripping. Service experience could not have been better.

Get a lawyer

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC