Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@ModelS1079 - Are you the first with the rear-facing jump seats? Or did you not order that option.

- - - Updated - - -

What other questions do we have unanswered (driving or otherwise) with 4.0? Throttle response we have a few opinions, but what else is still fuzzy?

Going for a drive today and thought I'd check before I rolled out.

I don't recall seeing it in the release notes or posted on the forum:

With 4.0, the front defroster button behavior has changed. When pressed, the temperature setting switces to HI. When toggling it back off the original setting (for me 72 F) returns.

I've never used the rear heater so I can't evaluate if it changed or not.

I have 4.0, but never used the Defrost button prior to update so can't compare. I will say that it heat's the interior of the car up very quickly, and can't really be left on very long. i have found I have create a "custom" setting, with the temp lower, but fan hi. Can't see how the Defrost button can be modified beyond the Hi setting.

- - - Updated - - -

As to the availability of 4.0, I have previously commented that there doesn't appear to be any logic to who gets it, and must be random. Here are the facts as I know them:
1. I picked my car up at the factory late on 11/28, P-83.
2. 11/29 afternoon I got the notice to update, which I did.
3. A good buddy picked up his car at the factory mid-day on 11/28, P-104 I think. Still doesn't have the update.
4. Another good buddy picked up his car at the factory this morning and was told it didn't have 4.0. That he should get it next week.

All 3 of us live in the same area, picked up our cars at the factory, and have very different results.

Go figure.

As to the availability of 4.0, I have previously commented that there doesn't appear to be any logic to who gets it, and must be random.

People shouldn't fret over this, yes the features are cool and yes Tesla is sending out the updates in batches; the positive aspect is that no-one's going to wait months or years for them. There's already talk of another update in January that may be the one enabling WiFi, but we can't go through update anxiety each time. (Sorry Bill, do not intend to single you out at all, I'm referring to many posts speculating about when they might get updates.)

That to, I expect.

One could hope!

People shouldn't fret over this, yes the features are cool and yes Tesla is sending out the updates in batches; the positive aspect is that no-one's going to wait months or years for them. There's already talk of another update in January that may be the one enabling WiFi, but we can't go through update anxiety each time. (Sorry Bill, do not intend to single you out at all, I'm referring to many posts speculating about when they might get updates.)

Very true, but I think it's only natural. People want the latest and greatest! And now, you've made it worse by dangling January's update before our eyes.

Hey, no problem. No anxiety here...I got mine!

A few observations of the new 4.0 firmware that I have noticed.... First, I've had the "low windshield wiper fluid" warning message twice now. It seems to come on when the car starts and then goes away. Since other's have had the same message I just chalk it up to a software bug. The car does NOT come out of sleep mode when you walk up to it and the door handles extend. It only comes out of sleep mode when you actually open the door. It then takes 14 seconds from the time you open the door until both screens are active and you can put the car in gear. If you casually enter the car, put on your seatbelt, and grab your sunglasses you will only have about a 5 second wait. If you enter quickly and buckle up you'll have about a 10 second wait. Either way I think the trade off of power savings versus a few seconds of waiting is worth it. They did make a welcome change to the charge port door logic. If you pop open the charge port door then exit the car and close the door and go grab your J1772 charging cable, the car will still lock as you walk away but now the charge port stays unlocked and the ring lit up even after the car locks...a welcome change.

A few observations of the new 4.0 firmware that I have noticed.... First, I've had the "low windshield wiper fluid" warning message twice now. It seems to come on when the car starts and then goes away. Since other's have had the same message I just chalk it up to a software bug. The car does NOT come out of sleep mode when you walk up to it and the door handles extend. It only comes out of sleep mode when you actually open the door. It then takes 14 seconds from the time you open the door until both screens are active and you can put the car in gear. If you casually enter the car, put on your seatbelt, and grab your sunglasses you will only have about a 5 second wait. If you enter quickly and buckle up you'll have about a 10 second wait.

And if you load a bunch of stuff in the back seat, then close up the back, then get in the front, I assume you'll have no wait at all? :biggrin:

Either way I think the trade off of power savings versus a few seconds of waiting is worth it. They did make a welcome change to the charge port door logic. If you pop open the charge port door then exit the car and close the door and go grab your J1772 charging cable, the car will still lock as you walk away but now the charge port stays unlocked and the ring lit up even after the car locks...a welcome change.

The car does NOT come out of sleep mode when you walk up to it and the door handles extend. It only comes out of sleep mode when you actually open the door. It then takes 14 seconds from the time you open the door until both screens are active and you can put the car in gear. If you casually enter the car, put on your seatbelt, and grab your sunglasses you will only have about a 5 second wait. If you enter quickly and buckle up you'll have about a 10 second wait. Either way I think the trade off of power savings versus a few seconds of waiting is worth it.

What about manually clicking the fob to unlock the car or some other action? Can you wake it from the fob?