Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car does NOT come out of sleep mode when you walk up to it and the door handles extend. It only comes out of sleep mode when you actually open the door. It then takes 14 seconds from the time you open the door until both screens are active and you can put the car in gear. If you casually enter the car, put on your seatbelt, and grab your sunglasses you will only have about a 5 second wait. If you enter quickly and buckle up you'll have about a 10 second wait. Either way I think the trade off of power savings versus a few seconds of waiting is worth it.

I had actually forgotten about this and hadn't even noticed power-up speed till yesterday (I've had the update for 5 days or so now). I jumped in the car saw the black center screen and thought "Huh?!?", then a T came up (and a lightbulb lit above my head, doh!) and it it seemed like 2 seconds later I was ready to go. Might be annoying if you were in a real hurry but I agree that the few seconds are worth it.

I had actually forgotten about this and hadn't even noticed power-up speed till yesterday (I've had the update for 5 days or so now). I jumped in the car saw the black center screen and thought "Huh?!?", then a T came up (and a lightbulb lit above my head, doh!) and it it seemed like 2 seconds later I was ready to go. Might be annoying if you were in a real hurry but I agree that the few seconds are worth it.
My experience is that the boot up time can vary considerably and it definately does start at least with door opening...I can't recall now if just with unlock. It's a bit frustrating, sometimes it seems to boot up as quickly as I can get myself in the car and buckled and the touch screen and dash display will simultaneously boot. But on at least one occasion I literally sat in the car for 15-20 seconds (or more--at least it seemed like it) staring at a totally black dash AND touch screen wondering what I'd do next with no "power" button or key hole to try to wake the thing up...then slowly both came online and everything worked OK. This long delay was just after going into the post office for 10 minutes, so not some long overnight delay or something.

What I'd like to see in a future version is the ability to program some amount of time before the screens power down. I'd probably set it for 30 minutes b/c the vast majority of my errands are 30 min or less. But when I park for the night or at work it's usually on the order of several hours. What ever minor battery drain would occur during that 30 min. time I can live with. But the long boot up delays are annoying.

What I'd like to see in a future version is the ability to program some amount of time before the screens power down. I'd probably set it for 30 minutes b/c the vast majority of my errands are 30 min or less. But when I park for the night or at work it's usually on the order of several hours. What ever minor battery drain would occur during that 30 min. time I can live with. But the long boot up delays are annoying.

Definitely agree that there should be a sleep timer. Makes a lot of sense to me. Still no update for my Sig 255, but hoping for it soon!

I thought that the go to sleep cycle was 2 hours? Isn't that in the release notes? (I'm out today and can't check.)

@efusco- Evan, car going to sleep after 10 minutes doesn't sound right. I'd chat with service if I was you.
I'll double check the release notes, but I thought it was immediate if you have the "energy save" mode or whatever it is turned on. There's a two hour sleep and a 6 hour shut down or something even if you have the energy save mode turned off.

Just got the clock yay! Says it takes 2 hours. is that 4.0? I thought service said it can take up to 6 hours. Installing now at work.
It doesn't take 6 hours but I know it did take somewhere between 1 and 2 hours to complete. I went out and checked on it after an hour and couldn't open the door and the keyfob didn't respond. All I could see was that the steering wheel buttons were lit up but everything else was dark. When I checked on it after two hours it was done and was greeted by extending door handles when I walked into the garage.

I thought that the go to sleep cycle was 2 hours? Isn't that in the release notes? (I'm out today and can't check.)

@efusco- Evan, car going to sleep after 10 minutes doesn't sound right. I'd chat with service if I was you.
Hey Nigel,
My memory was correct. It is immediate upon exiting the vehicle per the v4.0 release notes in the car:
2012-12-10 12.32.25.jpg

I don't like the idea of losing those miles/wasting the electricity to leave the system on, but the delay is annoying at times.

Note, also, that it starts boot-up upon recognition of the key being nearby, entering the car is not necessary. That is my experience as well...you can see things booting up in the morning when I approach the car and as I'm unplugging before I actually enter the vehicle.

Hey Nigel,
My memory was correct. It is immediate upon exiting the vehicle per the v4.0 release notes in the car:

I don't like the idea of losing those miles/wasting the electricity to leave the system on, but the delay is annoying at times.

My understanding of the release notes is a bit different. See the last paragraph in the image you posted:
If displays are set to power off, the displays will power off 2 hours after the rest of the car goes to sleep. The displays will also power off when the battery charge is low (or after 60 hours without use), regardless of the setting.

So if power save is not disabled then 2 hours after rest of car goes to sleep. If disabled then after 60 hours without use or a low battery.

My understanding of the release notes is a bit different. See the last paragraph in the image you posted:

So if power save is not disabled then 2 hours after rest of car goes to sleep. If disabled then after 60 hours without use or a low battery.
I wonder if "Sleep" is different than "Power Off" then. The "sleep" seems to be immediate, or nearly so. I admit I'm not confident about my interpretation though.

I read it the same way as Donauker. The only time I noticed this was after the car was parked (not plugged in) for about 3 hours. I also find that when I approach the car in the mornings and unplug, it's ready to go by the time I get in the drivers seat.

Evan, if you have a concern of any sort it's worth talking to your Service Tech/Manager. I've asked a few questions for things and they were always very happy to help,,,,even when I asked a "doh..." question.

I read it the same way as Donauker. The only time I noticed this was after the car was parked (not plugged in) for about 3 hours. I also find that when I approach the car in the mornings and unplug, it's ready to go by the time I get in the drivers seat.

Evan, if you have a concern of any sort it's worth talking to your Service Tech/Manager. I've asked a few questions for things and they were always very happy to help,,,,even when I asked a "doh..." question.
I don't have enough that I feel is a true "concern" just yet. But if I start to see some sort of pattern I'll be sure to call.

Regarding boot-up delays: jumped into the car today, all screens black. 2-3 seconds later the instrument cluster started to show all the different lights so I put the car in drive and took off. Seems that you don't have to wait for a full power-up of the center console screen.

(P.S. This was on our private road with no other vehicles so there was no danger).