Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't had to re-pair. When I turn the car on, assuming that I left the media app open, the screen shows my phone under "My Devices", but I have to tap the phone's name again to select it as the current source, and then I usually also have to press play at least once.

So, I'm not seeing a failure to pair. It's just that the audio doesn't automatically start playing again from my phone like it does in my other car (which has an Alpine deck with Bluetooth). I would like to not have to do the extra steps to tap the source and hit play.

I think these are all just different bugs -- before I got the interim update that screwed up my Bluetooth, my iPhone was perfectly paired, and as soon as I got back in the car the iPhone media was on screen and I just had to press "play" to get the music (or podcast) playing again from where it left off. Hopefully the new software will get this back working as it did before, because now my car won't recognize my media at all on that phone.

Weird bug today. Was going to show off the car to a friend, got in and booted up and everything was fine except the 17" display remained completely black. Tried putting the car in D and back in park. Eventually I got in and did a reboot (press & hold both scroll wheels) and on the second try at that it booted up and worked fine. Seems there's still something a bit quirky in the software.

The way I use my iPhone 5 with the Model S besides taking calls is that I listen to many podcasts every weekday morning on my way to the office. I jump in the car, switch the source to the iPhone and play my podcasts from the Downcast.app and it works great. I also at times would play songs from my iPhone 5 also with no issues. Now however I purchased a 32GB thumb drive and listen to music off of that. I cannot report however that the thumb drive has been a smooth audio source sadly.

The way I use my iPhone 5 with the Model S besides taking calls is that I listen to many podcasts every weekday morning on my way to the office. I jump in the car, switch the source to the iPhone and play my podcasts from the Downcast.app and it works great. I also at times would play songs from my iPhone 5 also with no issues. Now however I purchased a 32GB thumb drive and listen to music off of that. I cannot report however that the thumb drive has been a smooth audio source sadly.

That's almost exactly how I use mine. I use Instacast to listen to podcasts on my commute. Every time I leave the car and return, though, I have to manually select the iPhone as the source. I would like for it to work the way my Alpine in the RAV4 worked, which is to remember that the previous source was my phone via Bluetooth, and as soon as the connection to the phone is re-established, to resume playing audio.

What problems have you had with the thumb drive? I'm still trying to find the tiny little thumb drive that I bought to hold music and that I took to the Get Amped event and the Menlo Park store to check out the audio system. It's perfect for this purpose because it's so tiny that it won't get jostled or bumped accidentally. It is, however, apparently tiny enough that it may disappear entirely within my house... :rolleyes:

For me the songs on the USB thumb drive stop mid-song and start over. I can even trigger this behavior by opening the sunroof in one repeatable example.

Interesting bug. I have noticed similar USB problems especially when listening to radio via internet media. If a USB key is plugged in and internet media is selected, the whole 17 inch display freezes. Another bug is when the cluster navigation screen shows random characters on top of the navigation map. This is usually caused when a USB key is plugged in and navigation is activated- this renders the map unusable. Resetting the cluster and 17 inch display does not seem to fix these problems- usually have to pull the fuse.

I bluetooth my iPhone 5 with radioparadise.com and use that pretty much all of the time. (They play great music 99% of the time)
There is a radioparadise app for the iPhone...so it makes it very easy.

+1 to RP! The built-in TuneIn Radio definitely has RadioParadise in its lineup. I tested this in the Washington Square store in Portland.
You can stream it natively, without bluetooth from the phone, if you choose. You have to look for it under the Eclectic genre.

That USB stuff is weird! I listened to lots of USB music in the test drive cars without incident, so I wonder if this is a problem that was introduced more recently. If I can ever find the USB thumb drive with my music on it, I will give it a try and see if I have the same problem.

(PS: RadioParadise is fantastic. I listen at home all the time. I will have to try the app.)